Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering tires today, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:22 PM
AlexO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ordering tires today, quick question.

I read archives and it seems as of lately that Michelin Pilot Sport Rib is the clear choice for our cars. I’m not trying to skimp, but also do not want to throw money out of the window. Right now I have Yokohama AVS Sport and although they are pretty worn, they still seem to handle ok without much noise, I keep reading about. Someone else here also suggested RE 750’s. So my questions is: are Pilot Sport Ribs really that much better than Yokohama’s and Bridgestones? By the way, car is 95 C2 and wheels are 17” and I plan on going with a stock dimensions i.e. 205 fronts and 255 rears. Or and as far as operating conditions, I live in Houston, so it’s – hot, low quality concrete road surfaces, standing water is not uncommon after just 5 min. of rain and maybe December DE at TWS.
Thanks a lot
Alex

’95 993 Polar Silver/Black
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with S03 Bridgestones myself... Absolutely excellent in rain, dry and tons of fun for the occassional DE or autocross YET remains 100% compliant and quiet for every day use!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:41 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the S02A Bridgestones. Also excellent in dry or rain. Less noisy than the S02 I find.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I will repeat my recommendation for Kumho MX. At about half the price of Michelins they seem to be a better tire.
I would also go with 225/45-17 in front to compensate for some understeer inherent in 993s.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kuhmo has a very weak sidewall IMHO and you get what you pay for when it comes to street tires... Kuhmo has an excellent autocross/track tire BUT I find their street tires are horrible... very noisy after only 4K miles.. uneven wear.. beveled.. etc.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

I agree with ceboyd. I have the SO3's and I'm very happy with them. Some have given them a bad rap, but I think it's unfounded. IMHO of course.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Kumho MX is a great handling tire for the price. I am using them on my BMW and the down side is that they are very noisy. I would reconsider ever purchasing them again unless it were for track use only. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chris and Bradford, are you both talking about MX? I find 712 to exibit what you describe and 711 to be atrocious, but MX on the back of my Cab appear to be as good as I remember them being on other cars. I certainly would not call MXs sidewalls soft, nor would I consider them noisy, but I must say that noise is the least of my considerations when it comes to tires, so take my assesement with a grain of salt.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:17 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

The Pilot Rib is an excellent tire. Great all around including rain. I like it better than the S03 who I found to be kind of vague at turn in by comparison. Some say that the PS2 is even better. IMO you cannot go wrong with the Michellin tires. I have not tries the Yoko's so I cannot offer comparison.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bang-for-the-buck, I'm quite happy with Bridgestone RE750's. Has all the traction I need - wet and dry, good price, quiet, and good life. I have about 8K miles on the 17" rears and they are half-worn; this includes a 3-day weekend at a Watkins Glen DE that included an open lapping day.

Others might have better traction, but unless you're in autocross competition or are REALLY pushing the car to the limit, doubt if you'd feel the difference (yes, I also have used "R" compound tires on the street). PLus, you'll be replacing the rears in under 10K miles on the :"higher traction" tires.

Your choice; decide what's important.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:09 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I would also go with 225/45-17 in front to compensate for some understeer inherent in 993s.
Alex
Regardless of brand, upsize to the 225/45 for noticeably better handling & improved braking.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:27 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

o.k. I must admit.. I speak of personal experience with the Kuhmo 711 and 712... and NOT the MX.. sorry...

...the 225 45 17s ARE better on performance BUT the steering is noticably a bit stiffer/harder... This was the one thing I DID notice making the switch.... the 205s are just so darn easy to turn the steering wheel.... but the performance improvement was good enough for me to overlook that change...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:30 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex, welcome to Rennlist & I'm glad to hear you might come out to a DE once in a while. As you've probably noticed, there are a million opinions about tires. I'll side with Ray & Dan here; the performance difference between a 'low end' tire like the RE750 and the expensive ones are small compared to any street tire & an R-compound tire for DEs.

You can't take advantage of the extra performance of the $$$ tires without seriously overdriving your sight lines in Houston. And the RE750 is FINE for DEs, until/if you get serious enough about DEs to pony up for extra wheels & track tires.

And, yes, a front 225/45-17 tire is a much better bet for our cars than the 205/50-17, if you plan on doing any DEs at all. If you don't ever go on a track, the 205/50 will give you a safer quotient of understeer.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:38 PM
AlexO
Intermediate

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.
Water seems to be clear as mud now. Chris and Phil, I drove a 96 993 with S02A and I agree with you hundred percent they are outstanding. Do you think there is a reason why Porsche did not approve S03? MikeS. I drove friends 79SC with Kumho 712 Ecsta on it and I don’t really think they are close to top manufacturers, now MX maybe a different story all together.
Ray, that is why I strongly considered RE750, almost similar thread design to S02A, maybe a little harder compound, a little deeper thread, so a little comprise for almost 50% longevity increase and being readily available for 70% of the cost. But there is Michelin Pilot Sport Rib with apparently better performance just a hair more than RE750 in price and a little better thread wear than S02A and it is Porsche approved. I think I will try Michelin out and report to the board with impressions and comparison.
Another quick question for a Houston crowd: Would you let Discount tire mount and balance tires, or would you let Mike Callas or similar (Experts) do it, just to be sure? By the way both have latest Hunter gear.
Thanks a lot again
Alex

’95 993 Polar Silver/Black
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 17" cup wheels have acquired plenty of nicks & scars over the years, because at Discount Tire they may have Hunter gear, but they have 18 year olds blasting through the job w/o care & caution.

I asked Ray Joseph of RPM who does his mounting & balancing, since his cars are all museum pieces. His answer was brilliant: Wheel Magic, the guys near 59 & Chimney Rock who do little else but refinish wheels screwed up by 18 year olds wielding tire irons. Who else would be more careful when mounting tires on your rims?

Mike Callas is a wonderful guy, but that's a freaking long way to go for a mount & balance...

Quick Reply: Ordering tires today, quick question.