Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering tires today, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In your experiences which tires have the best durability with wear, S03s vs. Ribs vs. others?

I currently am running on the Ribs and they appear to be excellent in both wet (don't have extensive experience in this) and dry. However, seeing that this is my first sports car, and it being a Porsche (), I really have nothing to compare the ride and handling to. I'm trying to get at least 12k miles out of the rears on the Ribs.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex and Chris, 712s are _not_ good tires, period. I had them on my street BMW cab for 3 years and dislike them quite a bit from about 4-5K miles on.
MXs are _very_ different animals. Half the current STS/STX crop is running them in National autocross competition and they seem to do very well, similar to Falken Azenis (that is saying a lot). There are better tires out there than MX. BFG KD comes to mind as one. But it cost more than twice as much.

In other words, I would not make _any_ judgement about MXs from 712s experience. I would not make any judgement about any tires or cars with 711s experience - those are just plain bad. And I've owned all three plus Victoracers, so I do speak from some personal experience.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

nile13, yes I am talking about the MX. This is just my personal experience using these on my daily driver (BMW E46 w/265r and 235f x 18). After 6,000 miles of wear they are horribly loud. When I slow down from 20-0 it sounds as if the wheel beargs are going bad, but it's the tires. From the time were new, at around 55 mph they howled terribly. But then again they handle very good! As I said, I would only buy them again for track use.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:23 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Pirelli PZero Rossos. An excellent tyre in the dry and wet. However, durability leaves a lot to be desired - only 8k out of my rears. 8k of road driving, no DE.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:35 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

If your car is at Mike's you cannot go wrong with him doing the mounting and balancing... He has been doing it on all my cars. I have the tires sent to him so its easier. Yes like Robert says he is a bit of a long way away
Like I said I have the Ribs on my cabrio and I'm very pleased. Finally i will side with all for the 225/45 fronts.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:23 PM
AlexO
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Robert, Danny,
Thanks a lot for warm welcome and recommendations. No, car is in the city, but that sounds like a good excuse to take a 2-hour lunch break on Friday and drive to Sealy. I let Discount Tire mount tires on Audi and they manage to scratch everything there is in reach. Robert, is Wheel magic that small shop on north side of 59 just behind Shell gas station?
Arrwin, according to specs Michelin Pilot Sport Rib and S03 should wear a little longer with 220 rating as opposed to 180 for AVS Sport and 140 for S02A. Independent reviews and this board do support this information. My AVS Sports are flush with wear bars at +/- 10k, I expect Michelins last a little longer.
Thanks
Alex

’95 993 Polar Silver/Black
Old 07-27-2004, 04:33 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexO
Robert, Danny,
No, car is in the city, but that sounds like a good excuse to take a 2-hour lunch break on Friday and drive to Sealy.
uummmmm, I do not think that the 2 hour break will be enough! Mike is the best mechanic but he is super busy.... If you go say hello to my car! I have not seen in in 6 months!

Come to the track at the LSR PCA DE at the end of August. Hopefully we will all be there! Its gonna be hot as hell but hopefully Robert if he is there, can instruct you in your car and break in those new tires

Quick Reply: Ordering tires today, quick question.