Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Car Cover for the 993? (Indoor Use)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 01:35 PM
SeanD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Best Car Cover for the 993? (Indoor Use)

My 993 is not a daily driver. I spent 2 days this last weekend detailing and finally got a day in town today to drive it to my office. Since I live on the beach, I get a lot of sand and stuff blowing through the cracks in the garage door and from opening the garage door to take out the trash, get fishing gear, bike, etc.

What is the best car cover for the 993 that will not damage the paint and not "print" the mirror finish. My car is black and it shows dust after just a few days of sitting in the garage.

The car cover will not be used outside at all.

I am looking for a custom fit for the 993 as well. Any sources that you can list like a web URL or phone number would be great!

Thanks is advance!

Sean
Old 11-08-2001, 02:27 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Sean,
I also have a black 993 and like you I wanted a car cover primariliy for indoor protection not only against dust (you're right, it'll be dusty just by sitting in a 'clean' garage for a couple of days) but also against the possiblity of an errant bike or Little Tikes Cozy Coupe (Fact: it's the best selling 'car' in the world...)banging against the car. I therefore got the most protective cover I could find made by Covercraft, the Technalon Universal Car Cover, Size "B". They list a couple of sizes as fitting the 911 so you'd get the larger size if you have a non-retractable tail but I have no personal experience with it. My 993 has the standard

It's not 'custom'(no mirror pockets)but it fits perfectly. I fold the mirrors in and it fits even better. It covers from the chromed tailpipes in the back to the bottom of the spoiler in the front and it leaves no visible bodywork on the sides.

It is very soft inside and it keeps the car pristine between uses. I use the "California Car Duster" and ocassionally the Zaino "Gloss Enhancer" and then cover it. Come back a week a later, uncover the car and voila! it looks factory fresh.

Hope that helps,
Luis
Old 11-08-2001, 03:27 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the cotton/flannel one. It's the softest of the car covers and will work well for indoor only usage.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Here is a real obvious tip that you need to remember. If you are locking the car in on off-site event such as a public garage, be certain you lock (The Immobilizer key fob) the car before you put on the car cover....the door light indicators will not come on if the TRUNK IS OPENED!

I failed to do this and paid the consequences. I covered my car, pushed my immobilizer button and went off on a 3 day trip. Unfortunately, I did not have the trunk fully closed, the trunk light remained on. When I returned, the car was dead, dead, dead and required a hot start from AAA. I got to pluck that little piece of plastic out of the door, and insert the key to open the door, open the trunk and jump start the car.

There were no problems with the alarm or car after the jump start.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:12 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are looking for perfect fit - as suggested a flannel/cotton is best for indoors. Personally, I got tired of the custom fit as I believe on dark cars no matter how careful you can scratch the car when it has a little dirt. I purchased two queen sized flannel sheets, it is easier to take on and off, machine washes easily. Obviously not a perfect fit, but works well and may be another option for you.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:21 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the fitted technalon from performance prod., that is fitted for the 993 (fits even w/ rs spoiler). It's much less likely to scratch than the old silver factory cover I had, and its about the thickest around to protect against dogs or kids running by it--I think its thicker than flannel.

David
Old 11-09-2001, 12:34 PM
Darryl
Advanced

Thumbs up

I agree with the rest that flannel on the inside of the cover protects your paint from scratching. I use a Wolf cover which is blue on the exterior and flannel on the inside. It is a widebody cover and covers the entire car all the way down under the bumper. Some don't like the bottom bumper covered due to dirt and rocks that might get trapped in the cover. I don't mind because I usually clean all the way under before the car cover goes on. I bought my cover from Strasseusa, ask for Gabe.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:36 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

As a side note - I just used the clothes washer and dryer to clean the silver factory Porsche car cover and it looks and feels brand new. It had been covered by sticky tree drippings and now is great.

E. J.

Quick Reply: Best Car Cover for the 993? (Indoor Use)