Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone spray photoblocker on their license plate yet? Any photo camera tix yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Anyone spray photoblocker on their license plate yet? Any photo camera tix yet?

I did a search for Photoblocker on Rennlist and nothing came up, so here goes... There was a front page article in the Washington Post recently on Photoblocker and it intrigued me enough to want to try a bottle of the stuff. We have red light cameras popping up all over town though I still haven't gotten a ticket yet . Anyone try this Photoblocker spray stuff yet? Have you had a ticket since from a traffic light camera?

They've got quite a little website...
http://www.phantomplate.com/products.html

Steve
Old 07-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yessir.

Got a photo ticket from July 4th in the mail this week. I am still undecided as to how to deal with this. I am eligible for traffic school, but after looking at the ticket, the photo system seems aimed for a particular lane and timing positon relative to the redlight kind of "hit or miss" from a reliable evidence point of view.

In order to decide, I am using the public records side of things to get all of the as built drawings for the intersection and camera locations. I can then look at the timing requirements to get the photos that they took and see how narrow a net was cast for this ticket. But here is the biggest issue...

In the end, I will probably just opt out for the traffic school route as I can just see the traffic court judge looking at evidence with a speed yellow twin turbo as the car in question. Seems like anyone would want to cook whoever was driving it... Too bad I was not in some Saturn or something.

If I do the photo blocker thing, I will probably get the off angle diffuser license plate cover/frame thingy.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2004, 01:58 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,

Why don't you just shoot a bunch of flash pictures of your plate from various angles (simulating a traffic camera) and see how the license plate looks? Post some details.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Now I don't have a dog in this hunt, so FWIW. Our local news, "Deals or Duds" did a test of Photoblocker.....No workie .

Last edited by p_carfan; 07-24-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

To Pcar fan: That contradicts the report from our local news team as they tried the spray, went through the red light camera doing 75, the flash went off, and nothing happened! No ticket! So... NO ONE here has used this product?

Wow - I'm surprised. I figured after that first news report EVERY driver of a fast car would be rushing out to buy this stuff to avoid the dreaded red light camera tix. Is it that you all don't have these yet in your home towns?

Or, maybe it doesn't truly work in all cases and this is a big scam?!? Who do you believe?

Steve
Old 07-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot see how it could work, especially daytime.

Nighttime may be a different story coz there is a flasher unit involved and the flash would reflect...

I am from MIssouri on this one
Old 07-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

But, but, what about the testimonials on their website... How could this be bunk? In our area the cameras do FLASH during the day too I believe, thus causing the photoblocker to take effect.

"Out here down under, our local authorities have gone greedy. They are putting cameras everywhere in the name of safety, but to be booked for doing 63 in a 60 zone is just revenue raising. So I got tired of it and started to fight back. I got me a few of the Photoshield covers and that spray formula. You said it; I haven't got a ticket since. They can kiss my rear end for all they want but they won't know who I am when they look at the film at the end of the day. Thanks phantomplate.

Trevor M
Home Builder
Melbourne, Australia.

"I bought the photoshield to avoid photo-radar tickets. And so far no tickets. But last week I got a parking ticket for $50. Man, I was pissed-off. But then I noticed the meter maid had wrote down the wrong license plate number. My tag reads SWE 1500 and yet she wrote 8NE 1500, making the ticket invalid. Apparently she was looking at my tags from an angle and the numbers and letters were contorted. The "S" looked like an "8" and the "W" like an "N".

What a product. It has paid for itself. Thanks guys.

Phan-sue Lee
Pharmacist
San Francisco, CA
USA

"I bought a pair of photoshields about a year ago. I love them. I haven't got a ticket since. Now I drive with confidences. I don't get stressed out when I go through a yellow light or see a photo-radar van on the side of the road. They are not going to get me again. The first $100 ticket was the last as far as I am concerned. Trust me don't wait till you get zapped.

Doug M.
Fire Fighter
Alexandria, VA
USA
The following users liked this post:
4Driver4 (03-27-2022)
Old 07-24-2004, 11:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
...If I do the photo blocker thing, I will probably get the off angle diffuser license plate cover/frame thingy...
I think in Calif it is illegal to have anything covering your plate...of course they would have to stop you to see it and even then I would guess it would be a fix-it ticket with a minor penalty.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:06 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p_carfan
Now I don't have a dog in this hunt, so FWIW .

As I said...............

If you have an intrest in this product, GO FOR IT!!

Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Another Rennlister in northern Virginia had a license plate blocker on his Boxster and, IIRC, was sitting at a light in front of a cop who pulled him over and confiscated his revenue-buster.

What someone needs to do is to make a plate blocker that uses an LCD or polarizer that can be remotely turned off should a driver encounter a police officer.

Steve, why don't you buy a can and bring it to the next meet? We can all split it with you if it works.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:35 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the UK our number plates are not pressed like they seem to be in the states, the numbers are placed onto the back of a clear sheet of plastic/perspex and sealed on with a reflective sticker, so the front is entirely smooth, it may work here. Our government belives that excessive speed is the single biggest killer on the roads, whether or not this is entirely true I am not sure (I doubt it), but the revenue raised by the talivans (mobile camera vans) and the fixed gatso cameras is massive. The downside is of course that each ticket will put 3 endorsement points on your licence, and with 12 you get an automatic ban. So as you can imagine a lot of people are loosing their licences now, and it is incredibly frustrating. A recent survey carried out found that most cameras were on the 50 safest roads in the country (they were the safest before the advent of the scameras), where as there were only 3 on the 50 most dangerous stretches of road! It's all about the money!

If it works I'll take a can.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:44 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Monique
I am from MIssouri on this one

Steve
If you don't want to invest $30 for a test for the common good (despite those glowing testimonials) - here's a $10 alternative.

Photo Fog

and

FWIW - The Washington Times Photoblocker article
Old 07-24-2004, 02:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

Where are photo cameras around here??
Old 07-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Why don't you just drive the speed limit in town and stop the car when the light turn yellow rather than try to run it???
The following users liked this post:
Meenrod (03-28-2022)
Old 07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I am with Ray on this one. Go play at the track . I always struggle when I read" How do I get out of a 110 mph ticket?, or does photo blocker work?" Why would You need either one of those questions answered?

Quick Reply: Anyone spray photoblocker on their license plate yet? Any photo camera tix yet?