Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: 993 Air Port Clogged - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002 | 11:32 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
I would just ignore the problem AS Cecil stated that idiotic airinjection is ONLY on USA specification 993s and is ONLY on for a short while at COLD startup to make the car have lower emissions as the catalytic converters are inefficient when cold and the xtra air at startup leans out the mixture until the catalytics get up to temperature in 60-180 seconds or so. Catalytic converters only work well when very hot.

WE all have alot better ways to dispose of several thousand dollars that tearing apart a factory built engine.....for a stinking air pump. FYI-the airinjection passages or ports are clogged inside the camtowers or heads (they route into the exhaust ports) the pumps fine its the ports.

If I were you I would remove the metal fitting on the airpump that flows into the camtowers/heads....... and just have it blow the freshair into the engine compartment.......just seal of the airports going into each camtower. The 993 will most likely think the blockage is FIXED and youll haved saved $2000+.

This isnt brain surgery and CANT hurt your engine. A good running airpump furthermore doesnt do anything for your engines performance nor does it lengthen your 993's engine longevity.

I completely removed my airinjection pump at 8,000 miles......blocked off the ports permanently......saved 7lbs too. If anyone needs a like new airpump just call or email.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 06-11-2002 | 01:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey, if I disconnect the airpump now BEFORE I get the problem, does that stop the carbonization?

Our current air testing program here only looks at the OBDIi ports on the newest cars so I don't care about the error codes but I do care about warning lights.

Anyone figured out a way to bypass the sensors that detect the problem? How does the sensor do that anyways?

And why does Porsche ignore the problem while still allocating hours to fix it? There does not seem to be any Serive Bulletins on it.
Old 06-11-2002 | 02:43 AM
Yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, finally got to speak with the mechanic himself today (sounded pretty knowledgeable), and it seems it's the exhaust ports (not the cold start air pump orifices) which have suffered buildup. This is apparently also covered under emissions warranty, so the heads and exhaust valve guides will be replaced. I'll keep the board updated on progress in about a week or so once I get the ride back.

Quick Reply: HELP: 993 Air Port Clogged - What to do?