Sponsored by:

(REAR) Squeaking Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:31 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile (REAR) Squeaking Window

Thanks to all for the advise on remedying the horrible front windshield squeaking problem. I installed the rope and silicon spray and instant quiet.

However, now I hear the same type of squeaking from the rear window. I looked at the gasket at it looks more difficult to access in order to use the rope or spray all around the entire window.

Have others experienced this noise as well and what did they do to silence it?

Hal
Old 06-04-2002, 06:36 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kim,

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will try getting the silicon spray into all the accessible areas, which seems to exclude the top and see how that works.

Hal
Old 06-04-2002, 06:42 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The dealer is about to do a new rear window in my 95 C4 coupe tomorrow (brake light fix). Should I request that the rope be installed now while the glass is out? Is that a fix for a rear window.

Vic
95 C4 (no squeaks -- yet)
Old 06-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went the Pedro's Ice Wax route and applied it to both the front and rear windshield gaskets. It was no harder to access the inside of the real windshield gasket than the front. I used a wooden letter opener to pry the gasket up, inserted the spray nozzle and sprayed.

It took about 20 minutes to do both gaskets and have been very pleased with the results. Probably did this about 4 weeks ago so not sure of the longivity.

Rohan
Old 06-04-2002, 07:46 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Where did you get the Pedro's, Rohan?
Old 06-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Yeah, I'm asking Rohan because he's from SF, and the local bike stores near my house in the east bay don't stock it.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Rohan Nath
Racer

Ordered it online at:

<a href="http://store.yahoo.com/pedrosusa/pedrosicewax.html" target="_blank">Pedro's ice wax</a>

Heads up their online store is not very good. It took about 4 weeks before they shipped my order.

Definately get the aerospray. Applying the drip version would be a pain in the keis*er IMO.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
I have used the silicone "roap" on the rear window. The only area you can't get at is the top edge of the window under the third brake light. This did not completely eliminate the problem. However a subsequent application of Ice Wax has made the rear window as squeak free as the windshield.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:43 AM
MarkC
Instructor

My '95 993 also suffered from the infamous windscreen squeak.

Porsche Cars GB (in the UK) solution is to fit PTFE tape around the screen surround so that the rubber finishing seal butts against this rather than the paint. It works well and is permanent unlike silicone spay which you have to re-apply periodically.
The real of PTFE tape even has a Porsche part number.

Amazingly the noise really is caused by this rubber paint interface, just drive the car with the seal/s completely removed if you don't believe it!

Anyway after my front screen was fixed sure enough I could hear the rear screen squeaking. The same PTFE tape cured the problem.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:31 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered and installed the foam cord from Schatz last Saturday. It came with the Porsche Technical Info which said to put 2 layers on the top and the sides of the windshield. Was anyone able to put 2 layers on sides ? The sides didn't seem to have enough room for 2 layers. After a while of trying, i gave up.

Also, how come the base doesn't need the cord? I would think the squeaking is mainly coming from the base.

thx
Old 06-11-2002, 06:16 AM
MarkC
Instructor

The squeaking comes from all around the glass, everywhere the finishing rubber (gasket?) touches the paint. Most movement will occur along the top and sides though.

As I said if you're in any doubt, remove the gasket complete and drive the car. NO SQUEAK guaranteed!

I'm guessing the rope forces the edge of the rubber away from the paint a little to minimise the contact and the silicone keeps it lubricated.

I think the Porsche Cars GB (Great Britain) fix is more permanent.

What's really needed is a new design of finishing rubber (on the inner side) that grips completely OR not at all, so that it can't squeak.

Quick Reply: (REAR) Squeaking Window