Things to look for when buying a 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:50 PM
spts
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Things to look for when buying a 993

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Ali and I just started my search for a 96-98 993c2s. I want to take my time with this and make sure I get all the facts before buying my car. I was wondering if anyone has a list of items to look out for when I look at each car. Bascially anything that should be done to car already or will need to have done. Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, your best source for 993 information! This topic has been a popular one over the last few years. Most, if not all, of the info you need is stored in the archives, accessed by the search feature..

Please dont count out the 1995's as they are great cars as well. You will also find that all of us always advise a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) BEFORE buying a car. Set aside a few hours of computer time, because once you start searching, time will fly by!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:37 PM
spts
Advanced

thanks for tip Chris. I did go through the FAQ and found some good info there, however, some of the links are broken so I couldn't get more info. I will start doing an archive search here and see what I can find. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Ali,

There's a local NoVA/MD/DC drive on 8/14. I would recommend your dropping by and joining us. You'll get a chance to meet the local guys who'll be able to help you out with your search. These guys are so awesome that I haul myself down from Philly to join them (ok, you guys now owe me a beer for those complimentary remarks! Yeah, you know who you are...Mark, Steve, John, etc.)
Old 07-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Aww, shucks, Rezal. Lest you run into Johnny Law, I don't know if I'll be buying anyone who's driving back to Philly a beer, but I'll plunk a couple down for you at the next DE we hit.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.

Your next move is membership. It pays for itself soon enough!!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Agro1
Banned

Here is a list of what I put together before and after buying my 993:
Suspension - if it's stock it's most likely shot by 40k miles.
Clutch slave - check smooth, quiet pedal operation
Oil Cooler and A/C cooler fan resistors
Wiring harness update
Secondary Air injection carbon buildup - usually triggers check engine light
Transmission condition - have fluid changed and check magnetic drain plug
Leaky timing chain covers
Leaking steering rack
DME Relay
Engine cover shocks
Hood shocks
Door check strap assembly
Leaky valve covers

I'm sure I've forgotten a few that others may mention, but most of the aforementioned are common problems with most every 993. Good luck !!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Agro, I recall your car needed a valve job. How did you figure this out in the PPI process? Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Ali,

Welcome to the board. I think that the first thing would be to write a list of what you want to do with the car and the type of car you want. Cabriolet, Targa, Coupe, Sunroof Coupe-lowered by previous owner (PO) or original ride hight, what milage do you want, warrenteed or from a private owner (and do get the aforementioned PPI from a good shop with either seller), sound system, etc. Have you owned a 911 before? If not take a few test drives.

I would definitely take Rezal up on the invitation to a group ride. You will learn more in a few minutes then in a month of reading. Good luck, have fun with the search, and don't be rushed.

Al
Old 07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

spts,

How rude of me; I forgot to welcome you to the board, as well as extend an invite to the NoVaMD Rennlist run.

Come on by! It's actually more fun just meeting the faces behind the names than looking at the cars.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Agro1
Banned

Dr.No - Yup, it sure did...The CEL came on during my test drive and during the compression/leakdown Hergesheimers found that the #1 & #2 cylinders were loosing pressure through the exhaust valves. The seller, Truspeed Motorcars, agreed to do the valvejob at no extra expense so I got a fantastic deal. Hergesheimers did a fantastic job and even had to replace the valve seats on 2 heads because of excessive valve walk.
Sorry - I forgot to mention that in my post before - Porsche apparently used soft material in the stock valve guides and they have been known to wear prematurely, so that is something to make sure to look for. NO matter how good the car looks, I would never buy a 993 without a compression test and leakdown.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:25 PM
spts
Advanced

Rezal & Mark - I would love to join everyone at 8/14 event. How would I get information about it (location, etc.)?

Agro1 - Thanks for the list of items to look for. I've created a word doc and slowly making a check list of items. Also there are some books I will be buying to help me out.

993Maineiac - I already have a dedicated track car (00 civic si, gutted and complete with a welded cage, etc.) so I would looking for something that is more of a weekend drive. I love the way the s models look C4s and C2s, but I think I prefer the C2s more than the C4s. The mileage I'm trying to shoot for is around 30k and up. I've never owned a 911 before so this will be a first time for me. I will definitly go on some test drives. I've test driven a 996 and it was awesome.

Again thank you all for your help. This place is more welcoming to new commers then any other place and I really apprciate your patience.

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

spts,

You'll have to stay tuned to this board for details, although I'm not sure who is organizing it. I think Simon Shearer is our DO (designated organizer), but I may be speaking out of turn.

Quick Reply: Things to look for when buying a 993