Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Carbon Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 09:03 PM
cmoss

Post Carbon Buildup

I've searched the threads and read the one on carbon buildup. Does anyone know if porsche ever issued a TSB for this problem?
just curious,
Chris
Old 07-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beleive they recommend Techron as do many rennlisters. Full strengh before an oil change. Works great $6 a bottle
Old 07-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a lot of people on this board use Techron more frequently than every oil change. I toss in a bottle every 1k miles. Its a small price to pay if it delivers on the promise...
Old 07-27-2002, 07:49 PM
cmoss

I'm sorry, let me true tobe a bit more clear. I'm aware of the use of Techron. That is preventative.

I've heard that excessive valve guide wear leads to carbon buildup, and an engine check light. The prescription involves tearing down the engine cleaning the injectors (Smog?) and doing a valve job. ~$10k (Certified P-car dealer, ~77hrs @$125 per). On occasion Porsche has paid for some/all of the repairs. So what I'm after is if P. issued any TSB's on this particular problem.

Still just curious...
Chris
Old 07-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

None that I'm aware of - and I have all the TSBs from '95 -'98.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by cmoss:
<strong>I've searched the threads and read the one on carbon buildup. Does anyone know if porsche ever issued a TSB for this problem?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chris, this is not considered a problem worthy of a TSB. Carbon build-up is common with any car and can be prevented by using certain additives at certain intervals. Some of those include Chevron's Techron, Redline's Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Lubro Moly's Ventil Sauber and Lubro Moly's Jectron.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Chris, there was no TSB to my knowledge, but the issue is well understood by various dealers. The engine out job was performed on my vehicle at 61K miles by Carlsen and did not add up to your estimate. I've all the records if you are interested. One very popular preventative measure is to avoid lugging the engine by driving everywhere as swiftly as possible. Want to give that a try first ?
Old 07-28-2002, 01:56 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some clarification is needed here. The "carbon buildup" problem that has appeared on Rennlist here recently was specific to the air injection ports on the 993 cylinder heads which causes the check engine light to appear, not just some generic carbon buildup generic to most cars with higher mileage.

It seems to be that this 993 specific carbon buildup "problem" is related to emissions specific systems and should be covered by the emissions warranty that is something like 8 years or more and federally mandated.

Also, it should not be a problem for the car or the engine even if it was never fixed since it only seems to effect the air injection machanism which is not really critical to engine operation or long life. The only real detriment is the pesky check engine light.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:06 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JC, do you know what the OBD usually reports for that type of problem? Mine reports misfires on various cylinders. Car runs fine.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken,

&lt;&lt;Lubro Moly's Ventil Sauber and Lubro Moly's Jectron&gt;&gt;

I've been using Ventil Sauber for years on various 911s. Do you think there is any benifit to using this instead ot the Tectron? Also, When using Ventil Sauber should Jectron be used as well??

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-28-2002, 11:13 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm in the mood for a 12 pack of Techron after taking use of the last 20oz bottle. Are there any recommendations where a case or two can be purchased ($$) favorably? Seems I bought this case a few years ago from a 1-800 outfit in Texas. Go figure.
I'm open to a favorable purchase on a equivalent preventive additive. e.g., Redline, Lubro Moly

TIA
Old 07-29-2002, 03:57 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Bill P.:
<strong>Viken,

&lt;&lt;Lubro Moly's Ventil Sauber and Lubro Moly's Jectron&gt;&gt;

I've been using Ventil Sauber for years on various 911s. Do you think there is any benifit to using this instead ot the Tectron? Also, When using Ventil Sauber should Jectron be used as well??

Thanks,

Bill</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Bill:

Please forgive me as I'm not Viken but, as we use and sell the LubroMoly products for over 10 years, I can tell you something about this stuff,...

Ventil Sauber and Jectron are 2 different products made to deal with 2 different issues.

Ventil Sauber is specifically intended to help clean the soft and hard carbon buildups on intake valves and piston crowns. This product is made to be used on fuel-injected and carbureted cars.

Jectron is specifically intended to clean fuel injectors and deal with the carbon on intake valves as well.

These are complimentary, not exclusionary products that can and should be used simultanously. Used as such, these 2 items work faster than Techron and are more effective in this regard.

Hope this helped,...

Perhaps Sir Viken can offer his input here too!
Old 07-29-2002, 11:27 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great input, Steve. I've been wondering abut this for a long time. thanks for the clarification and have a great week!

Bill
Old 07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

I have been reading these posts on Techron for months and am still confussed. Can we do treatments with out an oil change?

I just bought 2 20 oz bottles, I would like to run one now and one in November before my annual oil change in November. Is this good? Is it ok to wait 3-4 months before oil change?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>Hope this helped,...

Perhaps Sir Viken can offer his input here too!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope, you've said it all and then some. Much thanks, Steve.

Quick Reply: Carbon Buildup