Cost to Replace a clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 AM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cost to Replace a clutch ?

Ever since I bought my 95 993(used) I have occasionally had difficulty getting it out of gear. I am going to bite the bullet and replace the clutch. It is a 95, so I do not want to risk the stalling issues some experience with a lightweight flywheel. Although I've owned many sports cars with manual transmissions, I have never had to pay to replace a clutch. How much should I expect to pay, assuming factory parts are used and the job is done right? How many hours of labor is reasonably required? Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
I just bought mine a month ago, and with 59k miles, I had the clutch replaced before I drove it the 750 miles home from Chicago where I bought it. A Bentley dealer (Luxury Motors) charged me $2200 to do the clutch. It didn't need a new flywheel. I thought that was a fair deal, as my 88 911 had a clutch 2 years ago and it was $2000.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 02-19-2003, 11:08 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts
At 72K miles, 8 hrs labor @ $95 = $760. Clutch disk, pressure plate, flywheel and misc parts $1700. Total w/tax $2600 at an independent I have been using for last 14 years and 200K miles on 2 Porsches. All factory parts. Symptoms were slipping, stiff pedal, and high engagement point. I am not sure if your difficulty getting out of gear is a symptom of worn clutch or something else.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good morning Don,

Keep in mind that a complete clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, OEM parts) is down to $600, give or take, and that it's a job that can be turned around in a single day. In fact, for your 2wd '95, the transmission can be removed by itself (even Andial does it this way), saving you $$ when compared to dropping the whole engine/trans assembly.

I've found that in my area, shops are all over the place on what they want to charge. One dealer might be at $2600, another at $1800, most independents around $1500--some higher, some lower. I paid $1210-parts, labor & tax--to have my clutch replaced in June of '01, job turned around in less than a day, best clutch job I've ever had.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:59 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where can I purchase the clutch kit for $600...?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Normally, a worn clutch will cause slippage, whereas you describe your symptom as difficulty in getting it out of gear. This sounds like either a clutch master/slave issue or a problem with a broken/bent pressure plate. I would investigate the former before I would replace that clutch.
Please post your actual results.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To probably further confuse you, in my experience most shops will drop the engine to replace a 993 clutch. Andial and others have a rig to do it without dropping, but don't be surprised if your shop will do the clutch replacement with a drop. Adds labor hours, oil etc.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Kevin Reilly:
<strong>To probably further confuse you, in my experience most shops will drop the engine to replace a 993 clutch. Andial and others have a rig to do it without dropping, but don't be surprised if your shop will do the clutch replacement with a drop. Adds labor hours, oil etc.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Does that hold true for 4wd cars as well?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
Jeff 993TT

Last fall I had to have my transmission repaired in my C4S. Although Andial and others may have developed special tooling to support the engine for removal of transmission, the average dealer has not. As a result, the engine and transaxle were removed as a unit and then separated. I conclude that they could not remove the transaxle alone to get at the clutch either. I would advise that the easiest way would be to drop the engine.

Fred R.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

OK, without knowing the technical names/terminology, this may be the same issue I have with my car? It is suspected that there is rust on the shaft (?) and that this could cause a sticking scenario and thus, hard to get out of gear sometimes? There has also be discussion in the past about loose engine and transmission mounts causing slight shifts in position and similar issues with changing. Bottom line, the clean off the rust would require removal of said trans anyway, I'll be doing my clutch at this time. May as well get a performance benefit if I have to pay for a repair anyway! BTW, I replaced the slave cyclinder to no avail. I found a good blip on the throttle helps with gear changing. Not sure if this is consistant with the issue but it helps.

Certainly no expert on matters either. Just my observations and discussions/experiences.

Dylan.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dylan, I have the same problem, and I also blip the throttle to get it out of gear. My mechanic said the slave cylinder was not the problem, in all likelihood. So, I figure that I will just have them get in there and have a look-see and replace the clutch and whatever else they deem necessary.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by MetalSolid:
<strong>Where can I purchase the clutch kit for $600...?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"><a href="http://www.vertexauto.com/item.wws?sku=CK6S&mfr=Oem&cookieID=0T60LK652&clientid=vertexauto.com&cli entid=vertexauto.com" target="_blank">Vertex = $549</a>

About a year ago, Sunset Porsche ran a dealer-cost special for the 993 clutch kit. As I recall, it was $375, or very close to that. If you wanted the kit today, Sunset would sell it for dealer cost + a 15% handling charge, putting the cost at ~$431 + shipping.

Also, if you peruse Excellence magazine, you'll find other vendors selling the clutch kits in the $600 neighborhood--or even less. Pelican Parts is selling 964 clutch kits for <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911L/por_911L_clutch_main.htm" target="_blank">$468.</a> A far cry from the mid 90's, when the pressure plate alone cost nearly $600.

FWIW, I had the sticking-in-gear problem caused by a rusty input shaft. As Don and Dylan are suggesting, I had the clutch components replaced while things were apart.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Jeff 993TT:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Kevin Reilly:
<strong>To probably further confuse you, in my experience most shops will drop the engine to replace a 993 clutch. Andial and others have a rig to do it without dropping, but don't be surprised if your shop will do the clutch replacement with a drop. Adds labor hours, oil etc.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Does that hold true for 4wd cars as well?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hi Jeff,

It's my understanding that the engine/trans assembly must be dropped on the C4's, no option to drop the tranny only.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:40 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would get a second opinion if you really need a clutch. One way to check is roll up a hill in third gear under slight acceleration, and than floor it. If car lags and increases speed slowly, the clutch should be ok. If you get high RPM and no acceleration, clutch is probably bad.

If it was me, I might try changing trans oil first, and than look at the linkage.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the LWF and RS clutch added to my '95 13 months ago. The transmission had been removed to repair a problem ($1000 labor). It was $1500 for the parts and labor to just do the clutch.

Unfortunately I'm going through the removal again this week. After 13 months and 15,000 miles the flywheel gasket has started to leak.

As an aside, the LWF an stalling in a '95 can be controlled by adjustment of the ISV. Mine stalled often until I tweaked the ISV. Now it doesn't stall at all.

Quick Reply: Cost to Replace a clutch ?