Sponsored by:

Cost to Replace a clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by mo:
<strong>I would get a second opinion if you really need a clutch. One way to check is roll up a hill in third gear under slight acceleration, and than floor it. If car lags and increases speed slowly, the clutch should be ok. If you get high RPM and no acceleration, clutch is probably bad.

If it was me, I might try changing trans oil first, and than look at the linkage.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Hey mo,

Don and Dylan aren't saying they need a clutch job because their clutch is worn out. The problem they're looking to fix (if this is indeed their problem) is a rusty input shaft. The shaft can get this way if not properly lubricated/sealed, or left open to the environment. This causes the disc to stick and not fully disengage when the clutch pedal is depressed, making it difficult to shift out of gear. Of course, since the transmission is already out, it makes sense to replace the clutch parts, unless they have super-low miles.

Don & Dylan, when I had this problem, it occurred when down-shifting while decelerating, never while accelerating. If I waited for the car to come to a rest, I could shift out of gear with normal effort. I also had problems shifting out of gear after using first gear as an emergency brake (e.g., parking on a hill). In both cases, a second operation of the clutch pedal allowed me to shift out of gear with normal effort.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spot on Randall. I have exactly the same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Cost to Replace a clutch ?