Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Karting the first step??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i use my ford truck bed to move my kart. there is also an attachment for a receiver hitch that lets you put them on the back of a car/or suv(its a platform like a big bike rack

also have seen them in vans and station wagons (recent car mag article)

the kart lift you see is designed for one person to use. it folds w/leverage that allows you to raise and lower the kart alone (as i do all the time)

i also have an electric start engine so no pushing required.

they are also fun to take to autocross events, nothing comes close to them (except for people looking @ it)

it is the most intense driving experience i have ever had
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by touf
I have also been karting for a couple years.
After being tired of spending so much money on kart rental at the local track, I have finally bought a used one.
I bought 1 Mike Wilson Chassis and a brand new Rotax Max 125 engine (H2O cooled and Electric Start).
I live in SD and would like to se if other Go Karting Rennlisters would want to meet sometimes at a track in So CAL.
touf,

Where do you go, Amago? I think that's the closest one to you, right? I know they used to race at El Cajon, but I believe that's a temporary track. We should try to get together and test. That would be fun. I've only been testing @ Willow and Perris.

Mike Wilson, eh? He's probably the best karter this world has ever seen. Even the late Senna had difficulty beating him.

Rich
Old 07-04-2004, 05:53 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Energy KT100 that I sold to my little brother a couple years ago.. all this kart talk is warming the fire all over again for a Rotax Max!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:57 PM
touf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the new RM1 Kart.
Direct Drive, 4 brake discs, and 2 speed paddle shifter.
Before buying my Kart, I almost Bought one of these (A store I know has demos for 7K).
http://www.rm1-kart.com/index.html
Old 07-04-2004, 08:54 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

For reference, my neighbor loads his in the back of his two door explorer. You have to take off the side pods and wheels to do it, but it fits along with gear for the two of us. I pull mine with a caprice and a 5 x 8 homemade flat trailer. I'd be very interested in seeing a picture of a hitch mount. From the seasoned karters, the way to go is enclosed. You can just leave everything there until you're ready to go next time.
I think I'd win for the least space to store a kart; and this is after getting up two flights of stairs!

Last edited by dwe8922; 04-26-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi gentlemen!

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Me too I have a kart! A rotax max.

I bought it after driving my 993 for a year and having experienced tracks....and gravel!

And as all of you said previously, it is great fun with no wonder for damages. I evaluate the expense of about 1/10 of the one for driving my car on a track, and this is not a race car! My kart is!
I'd like to proceed towards a shifter kart, and was quite interested by reading Dr Kenneth.
Dr Ken, you say you have an electric starter on your 125cc shifter kart. I've never seen that here in Europe. Could you tell me which engine you have and the type of starter? I'm most of the time alone, and that's why the Rotax fits so well in my request.

Cheers

JP
Old 07-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Rennlist Member

David Edwards,

Have you seen the stand up kart stand by RLV? I have one and it's pretty nice. You can actually store the kart much like you have it in your picture, but it's attached to a little stand with wheels on it. I think it's only about $100 and it's really easy to maneuver it around.

I can't believe you have to move that thing up & down the stairs. I bet that gets old really quick. Is that an HPV 3 on your kart?

Rich
Old 07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Rich,
I looked at one of those stands, but the wheels won't let it roll sideways. We have to move it sideways from the closet, through kitchen, 180 degrees, and down the hallway to the door. I keep a pizza box to slide it on--works pretty well on the tile. The stairs are a pain, but I don't have anywhere else to store it.
You're right, its an HPV. HPV is a popular class in jacksonville (10-20 on race day). They're supposed to be a more reliable than the kt100's, and a lot of the yamaha guys have moved over (or moved up to shifters). My chassis is a BRM, that I found used. It was originally set up as a shifter (with front brakes), so when I'm done with school, I can move up to that, or a TAG if I'm ready. I'm pretty lucky that I have two tracks near me, within 45 minutes. And the track in jacksonville is a public park, if you can believe such a thing exists. It's free practice 7 days a week, except on race days, which is really cool!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Rennlist Member

David,

I've heard some pretty good things about that track in Jacksonville (did you say FREE practice? Wow). I used to have an HPV-4 and I really liked that motor & pipe. The only reason why I switched to a Leopard was because it had the onboard starter. Lately I've been going to the track by myself so I wanted to be as independent as possible (which is why I also picked up the Kartlift stand). If the HPV would have had an onboard starter, I would have kept it.

Rich
Old 07-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Rand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich

I used to race in the KT100 class, but after getting blown away by all the youngsters and going to the races too many times by myself I sold it even though it was a lot of fun. It sounds like the kart you have would be even more fun. If there were a few guys I knew out racing I would be very tempted to get back into it. What class do you run and how many are usually at each race. Are there a lot of over 40 guys. If you are going to be at Willow in the near future let me know. I live in Lancaster and would like to check it out.

Randy
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

touf- I live in SD and am VERY close to making a decision on if I'm going to build a 944 spec car or get into karting. I drove a shifter kart for 2 days at the Bondurant school and it was amazing. I would love to come check out a race and talk to you about getting involved. PM me if you want to try and get together.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Rennlist Member

Rand,

OG said you lived nearby Willow. I've only done one race and that was at Perris last year in HPV-4. I trophied and finished in 3rd in that race. I just bought the Leopard in April, so I'm still learning how to tune it. It competes in the TaG class and this class is starting to grow.

At the Willow Springs Kart Club, they have a very competitive Rotax Max/TaG class where most of the 15 drivers are within a second of each other and, yes, many are between 30 & 40. Currently my lap times are quick enough to place me in the top half of the class, but I'm not sure when I'll race with them. Right now I just enjoy getting out there on the weekends to relieve some stress from work. I think when I can consistently lap .5ths quicker than my current pace I will start to think about racing. In race conditions the top guys run in the 45.2 range, and I'm probably at a 45.8, or so. But, one of the biggest problems I'm having is that I travel a lot at work, so it's difficult to plan for anything in the future.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I go out there again. Right now I have to get the chassis straightened out as the frontend isn't proper. Also, I need to find out why my motor was getting hot yesterday. Normally it runs pretty comfortably in the 140 degree range. But, it was in the 160 range yesterday, and it took forever to cool off. I also need a new set of tires as OG, Ryan & I literally drove the tires off yesterday! As soon as I can get these problems fixed I will make plans to get back out there.

Rich

PS: I enjoyed your thread about the 993 TT vs the Ferrari 360. Very jealous!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:16 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Rich,
Yes, Jacksonville is free to practice. It's a really well known track as well. Apparently, JPM, and Jeff Gordon have driven there (and others). I think mine is the HPV 3 (1-4 denotes the pipe you run?). The leopard is popular there as well (rotaxes more at ocala). Actually, another rennlister got me started, and he drives a leopard. The self starter is nice. My friend and I have figured out how to start 2 karts by ourselves, and run at the same time. And, another has tuned his to idle, so he can start it and hop in. I got lucky in being able to drag my neighbor in with me, so I always have someone to help and practice with, which makes it fun.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:34 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

in answer to the question about the 125 icc, 6 speed,w electric start motor, it is by Mc Matori of Italy

and for those who haven't seen a one man kart stand, that is what my kart is on in the previous photos. you can load and unload alone. i use it to raise the kart to my trucks bed height then roll it in. unload on to the kart then lower the kart, hit the start and off i go

also i have a stand up stand that rolls sideways i use for winter storage, looks great up against the wall

will check the brand and get a photo of the side roller, i know i looked quite a while for one. i use it to get through a narrow gate and shop door.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:32 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your infos dr Kenneth,

if it's italian, I should find more about it here.

It' amazing to here about free practice track! Here in Belgium we have only three tracks for the country, and it cost 25€ a day to practice . Those tracks are about 1200 to 1300 meters (+- 4000ft), but most of the time we can use only half of it, the other half being reserved for kart renting. The full track cost 40€ a day. We have no class for "senior" (I'm 46) and if we'd like to compete, we have to do it with the youngsters... not an easy task!

Quick Reply: Karting the first step??