Old 07-21-2001, 02:53 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post zaino

I just ordered the zaino bros polish, and detail kit.....What can I expect from the product?..
Old 07-21-2001, 01:12 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Phil

Pretty much "does what is says on the box", great stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Points to add:
(1) if you use claybar, be ultra careful - although it removes EVERYTHING from the paint, it can also scratch really easily. FWIW I would be hesitant before using it again.
(2) Z5 does seem to have some impact on swirl marks - but not much - although I'm not sure any product can really fix these
(3) Z6 does seem to add something to the shine and is easy to use.
(4) Seems to last longer than Carnuba type waxes - but then I'm re-zaino-ing every month anyway ;-)
(5) Can use Z2 and Z5 over the side and rear windows without a problem - makes it easier to apply (I use an orbital to apply, hand to remove) and helps keep these windows clean - I wouldn't apply it to windshield though
(6) Can use Z2 and Z5 over black rubber trim with no problem - it doesn't seem to leave white marks

Happy Polishing
Old 07-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Phil,

I can second Chris's favorable experience. I recently became a Zaino convert after receiving a positive rec from Greg Fishman. I doubt I'll ever use traditional wax again.

Zaino gives my arctic silver paint a depth and mirror finish that I didn't think was possible. Much to my surprise, the results do get better and better with more coats - just as promised. I never would have believed it if I hadn't used the stuff myself.

It's really easy to touch-up between washes with the Z-6 detailing spray. Another nice point: no chalky residue in the seams, so throw away the toothbrush.

Initially, I ordered the Z-1, Z-2, and Z-6 only. However, after deciding I liked the line, I ordered the Zaino car wash and Z-5 swirl remover as well. The various products really compliment each other, and smell good too.

Dirt, tar, and grease come off very easily from the finish, so I do believe the Zaino is doing a good job of protecting the paint.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:17 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Phil,

Started using Zaino this May on my '87 911. For years I had used Malm's carnuba, but that product has become way too pricey.

I like the Zaino product line and the owners are super nice and will answer technical questions should you have any (though they try to cover just about everything in their literature).

The stuff is easy to work with and the overall results are as good as any of the conventional car waxes (and, over the last 15 years I have used just about all the good ones, e.g., Malm's, Zymol, Mother's, etc.).

You'll need Z-1, Z-2 and/or Z-5 and Z-6. You should be well-pleased.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 07-21-2001, 11:37 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been using some of the Griots products. Their paint cleaning clay does a great job - appears to be much less abrasive than others. Cleans without scratches.
Old 07-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

thank you. I cannot wait for the product to arrive.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:47 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting for first coat of Z2 to dry.

I used the clay stick underneath a sponge to ensure good lubrication and, even though I'm not done yet, I was impressed with how well the clay took out some scratches.

Now all I have to do is order my Euro bumpers from Gert, get them painted and installed and I'll be happy with the new car.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:11 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Here is picture of my 1988 coupe after using Zaino.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:12 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Here is another picture showing my reflection in the hood of my car. Zaino is awesome.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:48 PM
Phil O
AutoX

Talking

Ok... I can't resist. Where did you get that Porsche belt buckle?

In all seriousness... amazing shine. I used Z-1, Z-5 and Z-6 for the first time this past weekend on my metallic black BMW. One thing I notices was a very slight waxy/oily film on the car after I buffed it out. This film basically when buffed will create fine lines that look like swirl marks but are just the filmy substance being moved around. Is this normal? I'm assuming, after my first wash, it won't be there. Other than that, the product is incredible.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 07-23-2001, 10:17 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Phil:

I originally had some of the smears and swirls. I was able to remove most of them with the Z6 and buffing. I'm sure they were caused by not letting the Z2 or Z5 dry enough. I was a little impatient, not smart when using Zaino. I've also heard the Z7 will remove them.

Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:19 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Lightbulb

Not noticed anything like you are describing - but is it possible you didn't leave long enough to dry ?

From Zaino Bros Web Page

"To test if Z-2 or Z-5 is dry and ready to be removed. Wipe your finger on a hazed section. It should immediately come off and leave a crytal clear finish. If it smears, it is still wet. You can leave Z-2 or Z-5 on for hours or overnight if you desire. When it is not humid Z-2 will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to dry. Depending on how heavy you applied it. I have applied Z-2 in the Arizona sun and it dried in approx. 3 to 5 minutes. I have also applied it in 38 degree temperature and it took about 2 to 3 hours to dry. Be patient. It's worth it. Different situations affect drying times. Also, remember you have Z-1 and Z-5 both on the car. That is two products that have to dry at one time. Takes longer. Z-2 or Z-5 does not cotain any oils and once it's dry will never ever look smeary or feel greasy. If you remove Z-2 or Z-5 before it is thoroughly dry and get any smears. Just wipe down the car with a damp cotton towel. This will remove any smears. Don't use Z-6 until you wipe the car down. If you'd like call me and I'll help you out with more info!"
Old 07-23-2001, 10:25 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Phil,

Sounds like you may have applied too much product. Its hard not to . . . with Zaino alittle goes a long way.

Drying time varies depending on climatic conditions (viz., temperature and humidity). If the product isn't completely dry you will find that you are moving the polish around on the surface of the car.

That is an incredible photo! You should send it to Zaino, I'll bet they add it to their web site.

After I washed my car yesterday (with Mother's California Gold car wash), I dried the car thoroughly and then used Z6, which I followed with Z2 (this is over last week's Z5). After washing this coming weekend, I will Z6 and then Z5 again. The shine will keep getting deeper.

Given that photograph, I'd say you're getting super results with Zaino products.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 07-23-2001, 10:36 PM
Phil O
AutoX

To all:

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I was a bit heavy handed with the product.... and I may not have given it enough time to dry... although I did let it sit overnight and I am in southern California.

As for the pic, I can't take credit... that's MarkY's.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, the smears are just from not waiting long enough.

I did the clay bar, but really...no pressure AT ALL should be used...I screwed that up first time, did a few coats of McGuire's ScratchX stuff to remove my blunder, then washed with Dawn again to strip everything off and start fresh.

I HIGHLY recommend the ZFX additive...expensive as crap, and adds about $2 per coat, I'm guessing, but the stuff makes z5 & z2 dry in no time. By the time I put a coat on, I can start taking it off. It also has the added benefit of giving you discipline in how much to use. You have to premix the ZFX and the Z5 or Z2 (takes 10 sec to mix, no biggie), but you know how much you are supposed to use on the car that way, and it forces you to use waaaay less than you would EVER think would work. The first coat I thought was silly...then I took it off...wow.

Also, you can only put a max of 3 coats a day on the car, and only about 10 coats a week...so do be patient.

My order was Dawn, Clay bar (oops), ScratchX, Dawn, Clay bar (nice this time), Z7, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6 on Saturday, then Z7, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6 on Sunday. I'll put another few coats later in the week, then switch over to the Z2. I have to say, this stuff is remarkable. I don't even have the actual polish on and the car is smoother than a baby's butt (and lots shinier). Non-car people are even commenting on it, and I haven't used the Z2 yet!

I can't wait to start the Z2.

One more thing...they weren't kidding when they said the Z5 had no abrasives...don't use it if you need deep swirls or scratches out...get them out first, then go for the Zaino.

Echo everything else too...the distributors are fanatical too, and they always answer your questions. I went to <a href="http://www.lazaino.com" target="_blank">www.lazaino.com</a> and talked to Ira, just because Zaino was at a car show for a few days and I'm not a patient guy

Quick Reply: zaino