Yikes, Near Disaster in My Tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yikes, Near Disaster in My Tip

I drive a MY95 Tip Cab. Normally, I drive in the 3 rather than D position. I like the added revs through each gear and the acceleration in First gear from a stop. On the highway, I shift into D for cruising.

This afternoon, when I attempted to shift from 3 to D, I absentmindedly shifted past Drive, past Reverse, and into Park at 70 mph. I instantly realized my error and, without ever letting go of the release button, quickly brought the shifter back to Drive. The Tip seem to ignore my error and continued to purr effortlessly along.

I remember this happing to a friend's Ford 3 speed auto pickup. When he attempted the same maneuver, all hell broke loose and the transmission created all sorts of nasty gear mashing sounds.

Is the Tip absent-minded-driver proof?

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 04:26 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you're one lucky dude! I hope you have now learned your lesson and drive that thing the way it was meant to be driven, in manual mode only.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:35 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I wasn't aware that it would overlook a shift into Park, but the programming on the tip is meant to be "idiot proof" to a large extent. The downside is that in the tip mode it will shift even when you don't want it to if the computer's program says it should. I find it much more responsive in the tip mode and keep it there 90+% of the time. I couldn't envision trying to pass on Maines 2 lane roads in the auto mode. That one is for my bride of two decades to enjoy.

Al
Old 06-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, Manual-Only mode is the only way to go! IMHO the car's personality disappears in auto mode, whether it is in 3 or not! Shift your tip!

It's alright, I'm OK now....
Old 06-29-2004, 05:13 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob, it's OK, you're just doing your job as HWFMR Tiptronic Liaison. We need that kind of passion from our Team Tip leader.

I'm still wondering why we only get four forward gears?

Old 06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Dave, I might be wrong, but I think you can move the lever from 3 to D without pushing the button. Try it. If that is the case, you've gotten rid of the problem you just described, as it will not go past N without pressing the button.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Mike.

I have fun with the manual mode but the Auto mode is pretty damn fast as well. My lawn mower is manual so I keep my shifts sharp as I heel-toe 'round every oak tree.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave -

This is right up there with loosening all the lug nuts, then jacking up the car.

Don't ever do that again in your life.

Go buy a lotto ticket.

Click your heels together 3 times and say
"I'm the luckiest SOB on the planet"

Next time you drive your car find the M on the shift gate and use that exclusively!

Best wishes
Old 06-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

"This is right up there with loosening all the lug nuts, then jacking up the car."

You got that right!

"Don't ever do that again in your life."

Right, Never Again!

"Go buy a lotto ticket"

Got Two - Click, Click, Click!

Old 06-29-2004, 06:34 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm w/ fred--->

drive it in manual... damn, surprised the shifter will even let you do that! talk about a ' d o h !'

one lucky dude....

btw; w/ 4 gears... doesn't that just mean we get there quicker? heh heh..
Old 06-29-2004, 06:42 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez, I guess you guys would be upset to hear that my 96 tip got FTD this past sunday at the Milwaukee PCA autocross (no, I wasn't the driver).. BUT the car was in D the whole time.. LOL

Believe it or not,the car does learn your patterns and shifts when you need it all by itself.. very abruptly I might add.. unlike the newer tips in the 996 which are not abrupt but smooth and controled and boring IMHO.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't that called the 'money shift'?!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by ceboyd
geez, I guess you guys would be upset to hear that my 96 tip got FTD this past sunday at the Milwaukee PCA autocross (no, I wasn't the driver).. BUT the car was in D the whole time.. LOL

Believe it or not,the car does learn your patterns and shifts when you need it all by itself.. very abruptly I might add.. unlike the newer tips in the 996 which are not abrupt but smooth and controled and boring IMHO.
Not at all upset, just happy to hear it.

I have heard of other Tip auto-x victories, and as I have mentioned before, a Tiptronic 964 used to tear up Blackhawk against all comers.

When it comes to off-track pleasure driving, however, I much prefer to make my own shifts, even if they are not as optimally executed as the computer's.

To each his own, though, and that is in fact the beauty of the Tip--it can be a completely different transmission (and driving experience) with the flick of a switch.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

wait, you all bought autos, but swear by using your auto in kinda manual mode... its cause of the wifey right? remind me not to get married! a woman should never get between a man and his car!
~Eyal
Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving in the UK the D is king when hitting heavy traffic on a long run. The cruise is also cool in the right place. Use manual for quick overtaking on narrow roads - power is awesome in 2nd and changes up anyway to stop over revving.

Can't wait to try the twin clutch 997 rumoured to be up and coming.

PJC

Quick Reply: Yikes, Near Disaster in My Tip