Sponsored by:

turbo s ducts w/fog lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo s ducts w/fog lights problem

Hello everyone. Doing some slidin' down the slippery slope. I've chosen to do the euro clear turnsignals with the turbo s brake ducts/fog lights to replace very pitted fog lights on my silver 96 targa. Was perfectly happy with my bumperettes until I joined the list a while back and started slidin'.

Anyway.... the fog lights/ducts went in w/o a hitch. P-car website diy very helpful. I did take the 2" vent hose down to 1 1/4" od via a reducer so as not to be too invasive on the skirts of the oil and a/c coolers.

Getting ready to head to the body shop to have the front patched and painted and noticed my fog lights no longer work. My thoughts are that perhaps these lights pull more juice and thus have burnt a fuse. Anyone have any experience with this? Do I simply install a higher rated fuse?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Kevin,

Always put the same amperage fuse back in. I'm not sure what the issue is but installing a higher amperage fuse in wiring that is not rated to handle more current will defeat the purpose of the fuse and might cause a fire.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Kevin,

If your new lights are wired up like mine, they are "positioning" lights, not "fog" lights, and the old fog light switch is now inactive. My new "positioning" lights are always on with the headlights. You can re-wire them to your fog-light switch if you're not as lazy as me.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:08 PM
jz993
Racer

Kevin,
THis is a little confusing. The S ducts come with a "driving" light (38W?) in place of the 35W OE fog light. Does the driving light have the same connector as the fog light? I would think it impossible to connect the OE positioning light's wire to the driving light. If somehow that happened, a fuse should blow, since the pos. light is such a small bulb.
I'm doing the bumperette mod, too, and assumed that the S duct/driving light would just connect to the fog light wire without modification, and that the pos. light wire would just be left dangling, or tied off. If this is not so, please let me know. Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Did this mod a while back and it is the other way around: position light plugs in and fog light connector is left dangling. I seem to recall a few threads from people who switched to aftermarket fog lights (I think they uses PIAA) so that they would still have the fog lights and just lose the position lights. Just do a search on the subject - think it was discussed a while ago...
Old 06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin
The answer depends on which "turbo S ducts" you installed:

1. True Porsche S ducts - no fog light, just a low wattage positioning light that replaces the positioning light in the oem fog & comes on w/the headlights. The fog light switch is non-functional since it's not hooked up to any lights.

2. The Techart ducts - separate real fog & functional brake duct. Wire the fogs to the oem fog wires rather than the positioning light wires & the fog switch does its thing. Secure the positioning wires behind the bumper since they're not used.

3. The BW Motorsport made/MA Shaw S ducts which use a 38W halogen true fog light fabricated into the duct. Wire the fogs as in #2 above. No fuse/wire size issues - the oem fogs are 55W halogen bulbs.

Details in this thread incl. wiring directions:
Turbo S ducts thread (one of many).
Old 06-29-2004, 06:41 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone who has done this using the PIAA, give me the light name/version or part number. Also, can the beams then be adjusted

TIA

Old 06-29-2004, 06:50 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TT S ducts that are wired to the fog light switch. However, as Dan said, they are very low wattage positioning lights not to be confused with fog lights. That's my car on the far right.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:58 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

Hey everyone...Kev here. Found the solution to my problem. Kind of embarrassing how simple it was. Thanks to everyone for the help. This is a great forum, 993's rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 AM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A member after only 4 posts! Kevin rocks!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 AM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please share the solution as others will no doubt run into the same problems. Can we get some pics?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:24 AM
jz993
Racer

Dan, thanks for the info. Do you know which variety Gert carries?
TIA
Old 06-30-2004, 10:09 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jz993
Dan, thanks for the info. Do you know which variety Gert carries?
TIA
AFAIK, Gert carries the real deal - oem Turbo S ducts with the positioning lights. Those w/functional fogs are from aftermarket suppliers.
Link to Gert's Turbo S ducts.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:13 AM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

ok, the embarrassing fix.

The duct lights are wired to the fog lights and function, after further investigation and turning brain on, as they should. What happened was that apparently my "on" indicator light on the foglight switch itself is out.

Did some searches on this fix but no luck. Anyone know how to get at the bulb w/o breaking anything?

I just did my clear headlight covers, which were also pitted, and was extremely impressed with the engineering and design that made this a 5 minute affair. If this were an italian car it would've taken all day!

Did the windshield a while back $$$$$$$, so now all that's left is a reshoot on the front end after the bumperette holes get patched. Then its time to save the pennies for the TPC kit. Anyone heard any news on the intercooled model due out?

Quick Reply: turbo s ducts w/fog lights problem