Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do with rivets when putting rear cover back???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do with rivets when putting rear cover back???

Rivets are used all over the rear bumper cover: retaining strip(4 rivets), l/r lateral/lamp heat shields(8 rivets), retaining brackets(12 rivets). It is being suggested to drill out rivets to take old rear bumper cover off the car. But I could not find suggestions on how to put those pieces back together with your new bumper cover:
- do you rivet them using new rivets(you can buy OEM Porsche rivets, it's not a problem, but what kind of tool you are supposed to use? is it possible to get a hold of such tool?)
- do you use something else? I saw 964 guys used sheetmetal nut with self-taping screw(the same thing, that holds, for example, right/left rear turn flashers) in place of front bumper rivets.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 01:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Just get new rivets (aluminum pop rivet) and install with a pop-rivet gun. They are not expensive (save for nicer ones) and really easy to do..
Old 06-30-2004, 08:29 AM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, Chris! Now, on to my search for a "pop-rivet gun"
Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my pop rivet gun at Sears and it worked great with the Porsche OE rivets. Very easy job to drill out the old rivets and replace the heat shields and the metal protection bar.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear bumper cover - what to do with rivets when putting rear cover back???