Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 03:40 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Clear Lenses

All,

Where is the best place to buy the clear front turn signal lenses. I've checked with <a href="http://www.carnewal.com" target="_blank">www.carnewal.com</a> but they aren't a pure switch out for an american car with the little bumperettes.

Thanks,

Skip
Old 06-05-2002, 03:49 PM
cmoss

<a href="http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/home" target="_blank">AJ's USA</a>
Has them already modified (Cut, shortened, chopped etc. ~$137), for our bumperettes.
cheers,
Chris
Old 06-05-2002, 03:51 PM
cmoss

Oh, yeah...
You'll need a new bulb too. Orange, 2-filament I believe, from any auto parts store.
chris
Old 06-05-2002, 04:40 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Skip
I purchased mine from AJUSA. The lights are the oem Euro assembly with the end section cut off and silicon sealed (where our bumperette is). They were a perfect fit, IMO look great & under 5 min simple install (remove screw, jiggle up/down to loosen & slide forward to clear retaining slots - twist out light socket).

The units come w/single filament clear bulbs in sockets. Neither the provided bulbs nor the sockets are used. As Chris said, the bulbs need to be replaced w/#1157 dual filament bulbs (parking/signal) in either clear or amber. I tried both since my State permits white turn signals. The ambers show a bit when off & obviously the light looks amber when on. The whites look better, but I was concerned about glare for others when flashing at night so I opted for the amber.

You can see how it looks when off w/amber bulb in my signature picture below - small amber area is visible through the lens. This is how it looks when on:

Old 06-05-2002, 05:04 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip

here is a clear lens option. to bumperette or not to bumperette<a href="http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/Merchant2/index.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=78650&Product_Code=99363106101&Category_ Code=850" target="_blank">euro/usa clear lens</a>
Old 06-05-2002, 05:39 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the direction and the pics. It is incredible the difference that the clear lenses make to the look of the front. It looks so much more clean and crisp with the clear.

Purchase #... coming up...

Thanks,

Skip
Old 06-05-2002, 05:49 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
My clear lenses and Turbo S (non functioning) brake ducts with positioning lights are being installed as we speak.

I will post some pics when I get the car back.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:01 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Given the popularity of loosing the bumperettes, you would think someone would make a lens cover that would just fit over the space left when the bumperette is removed. How hard could that be? Certainly easier than replacing the bumper cover.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:11 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

can somebody post a close up Picture of a US Bumper with Bumperettes ,i would like to compare it to the Euro Bumper. Best would be one picture with installed and one without lights and bumperettes,
harald
Old 06-05-2002, 07:00 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Kim - you are right - I forgot about that. I had the bumper apart while doing the Turbo S oil cooler install. Still, it does seem like a good idea for someone to make a "Euro Bumper Kit" that would include bumper plugs for the license plate holes, a new set of lenses and a set of plugs for the bumperette holes.

Out of curiosity - I assume you took the cover of yourself and brought it to the paint shop? What did they charge just to paint the bumper and fill the bumperette / plate holes?
Old 06-05-2002, 07:15 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Wow Kim - that seems pretty cheap. I was thinking about getting my bumper cover repainted after a few more DEs - it is in pretty good shape at the moment.

If bumper plugs just did the bumperette cover perhaps the Euro lenses would fit?? Seems like a good market opp to me.

Quick Reply: Clear Lenses