Oil cooler fab update

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:56 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil cooler fab update

Being the eng-a-neer that I am, I couldnt stand the fact that a $100 oilcooler that has Porsche on it is $750-$2000. So I am setting off to do my own. Today I played with the S lookalike and position in the bumper. I measured around the spot and figured I could go 12" long X 4 3/4" high X 2" deep so I mocked one up for fitment. I took some pics to show position and what the mock up looked like. There is enough room for this size cooler. However I kinda understand now how come Porsche ones are so expensive. One is, the intake and outtake are on the side on the Porsche ones. Most of the ones I have seen on cooler manufacturer sites are on the top. If thats the case my install is going to be harder. If I can find the one on the side then its a piece O cake. one other issue is the forkin German connectors on the stock cooler are not AN. So I am gonna have to buy some Porsche-AN adapters. Anybody know where you can get them?? I am also going to look into finned hoses that act like radiators also but that is wanna have not a must have. I have a few questions-- what is the size of the S cooler(demensions)?? And ofcourse the porsche-AN adpaters any sources? If this doest work then I got to go to a cargraphics type install. Then I'll have to figure out the sandwich technique. Anyway thats where I am today When I come up with some sources for coolers I will let you all know. Earls Temp-A-Cure looks promising. as does Perma cool

Last edited by OldGuy; 06-28-2004 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the side where I was thinking about an install
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2004, 01:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is the mockup in position. you can see that if the inlet and outlet are on the top I may be in trouble with the left fog light position. I may be able to mount it upside down and have the outlet inlet on the bottom based on the size of the fittings.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2004, 02:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is with the bumper cover back on to show space arrangements. If you all have any suggestions please let me know I would appreciate it. I want to thank Robin/Bill Bennett, and Silver Bullet Kim for all the work on Robins DIY website where I got most of the ideas.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2004, 02:05 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OG, with your list of HP aspiration mods, I'd go with the Cargraphics right off the bat instead of the TT S.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Addison I was hoping my mockup would be quite abit bigger than an S cooler. If its not then your right I gotta go with a Cargraphics size and install. I wonder if a couple smaller inline coolers would work in series behind the middle grill? Is there such a thing as inline cooler? There is some space there but the question for all the fluid dynamics guys is - will the air stall behind the cooler infront of the trunk tub.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

The Turbo S cooler is about 20% of the size of the stock cooler found in the right fender. Don't expect much from this cooler. I don't and it never lets me dowm.

Just call Kary at Group 9 Motorsports and get you Cargraphics cooler. It seems to be the best way to go, especially in SoCal
Old 06-28-2004, 02:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Martin a Cargraphics one is $2000. a cooler core the same size with AN fittings is $100. then fittings hoses and fab ( with me doing the work) is another $100. Thats an $1800 savings that could go to turbos.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

air stalling would be a valid concern, i dont know how much room is there, but maybe you can build a duct to smoothly lead the air out from under the car, instead of smaking and twirling at that wall. then again, you want to direct the least amount of air under the car.
~Eyal
Old 06-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

I have some photos in a Japanese magazine (911 Ego) and it has some step-by -step shots on how to fab a cooler. really interesting.. he actually cut off the existing nipples on a big-*** cooler and helium-welded some bigger correct porsche fittings on place.. I'm in Rotterdam right now and my magazine is in Santa Barbara, I can post the photos when I return, but It'll be in like 2 weeks.. sorry. remind me then.

Coleman.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:39 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OG, I have seen a number of dream garages pictured on Rennlist. I must say I identify a bit more with real world garages like yours. BTW, are those chock blocks I see in front of your jack stands. Mine are similar in design but Oak in composition.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OG,

You can do a google search for AN fittings with Aeroquip and/or Earl's to find other sources (I think Earl's is the best quality). Here is one source and it is somewhat local for you:

Baker
I have purchased some stuff from them - knowledgable and quick. They specialize in stock cars but will understand exactly what you are trying to do. I also think they have oil coolers you could work with so you are not stuck with German sized fittings. Not sure if that is really what you were asking for, but it might help with the project.

I am pretty sure if you put the cooler in front of the bumper, you will get stall without a good clean exit path.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:53 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark the problem is the porsche fittings on the stock cooler. I have to at one point come out of the stock cooler (porsche fitting) over to the fabbed cooler (AN) out the fabbed cooler (AN) back to the hose that goes back to the motor (porsche fitting) so in two places I need adapters in a series situtation. Does that make sense? (Porsche/AN Adapters)

Duds- last spring I had an immaculate garage. Then we decided to buy a house with Land (5 acres or so) and we had to show our house. SO to get it show condition everything that was not neccessary for day to day living went into a thousand boxes and into the garage. We did not move, and walah! instant garage disaster! Couple that with two boys 14 and 9 who are fixing everything from skateboards, to motocross bikes(even if they're not broke!!) and you have a gargantuan disaster. I guess I dont really need all that junk if its been in the garage for a year and we have not gone back and retrieved it!!One day my garage will be like Dr Garchow's!
one day.
BTW those emergency drop savers are from almond/apple.com
Old 06-28-2004, 12:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Paul, try: http://www.coastfab.com/
Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM
chris walrod