Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Must the rear bumper be removed to install the harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 10:13 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Must the rear bumper be removed to install the harness?

Looking to take on a project that requires removing the rear harness. The previous owner did some splicing so I'd like to repair the existing or replace with OE, both of which require removal and (re)install. Given the license plate connectors, can the harness be installed without removing the rear bumper? I took a brief look today and it appears that threading the boots and spade connectors through would be extremely difficult without bumper removal. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Old 07-24-2024, 10:57 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 563 Posts

No reason to remove the rear bumper. The harness you're referring to (rear lighting harness) passes from the engine bay through a hole behind the right rear tail light. From there, it simply goes along the top of the bumper behind the center reflector and over to the left tail light.

There are two very small wires that feed the rear license plate lights. They pass through large hole on the top of the bumper (under center reflector area) and each wire goes to the square cutouts for each rear license plate light. Very easy to access.

In summary, no need to remove the bumper at all. Just remove all the lights.
The following users liked this post:
Twilightblue28A (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:15 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Thanks boomboomthump. But aren't the spade connectors for the license plate lights pre-threaded on the harness through the square rubber boots? How does one push the boots through the hole under the center reflector and successfully navigate the interior of the bumper to the square cutouts? I've taken a look inside the bumper from the cutouts and it appears that there are a series of brackets in the way.

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
No reason to remove the rear bumper. The harness you're referring to (rear lighting harness) passes from the engine bay through a hole behind the right rear tail light. From there, it simply goes along the top of the bumper behind the center reflector and over to the left tail light.

There are two very small wires that feed the rear license plate lights. They pass through large hole on the top of the bumper (under center reflector area) and each wire goes to the square cutouts for each rear license plate light. Very easy to access.

In summary, no need to remove the bumper at all. Just remove all the lights.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:29 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

You remove the license plate lights via pair of screws. That drops the light housing out. The spade connectors unplug from the back of the housing (or through it; cant recall off-hand). Then you're left with the wire just hanging in the hole of the bumper. From there, you just pull the bit of the harness that has those two wires. It passes through the bumper under the center reflector and has a rubber grommet around it.

I removed that whole harness as part of tearing down my car to bare metal. All the wires were removed before I remove the bumper. I didn't remove it until everything was bare already.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:41 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Here you go... lucky for you I had that harness just sitting on a workbench in my basement.

Red arrow is the grommet I'm referring to under the center reflector light. Blue arrows are what goes down to the square cutouts in the bumper for the license plate lights (simply unplug the light housings). Green arrow is what passes to the engine bay behind right rear tail light.

Hope that helps.

jay@EZimmoblock.com (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:54 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

And one more...

Here's the license plate light. Green arrows are where each pair of spade connectors attach. Very easy.

Old 07-25-2024, 01:34 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboomthump
Here you go... lucky for you I had that harness just sitting on a workbench in my basement.

Red arrow is the grommet I'm referring to under the center reflector light. Blue arrows are what goes down to the square cutouts in the bumper for the license plate lights (simply unplug the light housings). Green arrow is what passes to the engine bay behind right rear tail light.

Hope that helps.

@boomboomthump - Thanks for this diagram. I'm not the original poster but I did some work here recently. How did you get the spade connectors through the tiny little holes in the rubber boots that encapsulate the rear license plate lights?

pp000830 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 07:42 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

First, peel that back off the light. Unplug the spades.

Then just feed the spades through the rubber (it stretches). I may have used a small screwdriver shoved through the hole to stretch it a bit while feeding the spade through.

That boot is made to come off and is not part of the harness itself. It’s replaceable and has its own part number. In the PET the drawing shows it more as a “ring” type seal that goes around the lip of the light but in reality it has a closed back as you’ve shown and there’s two small holes for the spades to feed through (again via stretching of the holes).

Jlaa (07-29-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 187 Posts

As shared, can be done, but I will also share that removing the bumper cover is not that big of a job. Lots of screws and fasteners to be removed, and wheel liners first, then lights, but not a big deal.

Oh but the inner cleaning you will now have access to :-)
Old 07-27-2024, 11:14 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Ok, quick update after mostly completing the project. Following @boomboomthump 's guidance, I was able to successfully remove and reinstall the harness without detaching the bumper. I had to first remove the rubber license plate boot on the driver side (US) which allowed the wiring to easily thread. To get the boot off, I levered a small screwdriver to expand the rubber, per the recommended procedure, until the existing hole was just big enough to clear the spade connection. Removal of the boot on the passenger side wasn't required because it was unimpeded. Super easy. After completing my repairs on the harness I was able to then quickly and painlessly reinstall. I serendipitously discovered that one of the license plate light housings (passenger side) had melted due to broken plastic for the spade connection which allowed the bulb to rest on the bottom. I'll button this up once I receive the new housing from Pelican (964-631-620-02-01C @ $62.71).

Last edited by huwla; 07-27-2024 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 12:07 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Cool. Thanks for posting an update. Was hoping it helped.

Also, just FYI, I order some stuff from Pelican but for factory parts, Delaware Porsche has cheaper prices, always. Since you're in the DC area, you'll get them very quickly too and no tax.

https://www.delawareporscheparts.com...9646316200201c

I know you already ordered from Pelican but just showing you an example. $10 cheaper on a $62 part, plus no tax and probably cheaper shipping since it's closer.

Old 07-28-2024, 02:04 PM
huwla
Rennlist Member

Good to know thanks. Being a recent transplant from the west coast, I tend to order from Pelican or Sunset. Will check out Delaware next time I need OE parts.

Quick Reply: Must the rear bumper be removed to install the harness?