Sponsored by:

convert to OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default convert to OEM HID

I know several versions of this topic have been beat to death in the past, I'm looking for current source an pricing information. I'm considering changing my OEM headlights to the factory HID....I did the search and didn't find any info. I may be using the wrong criteria .Will anyone let me know what I might be in for. BTW I'm only considering the factory retrofit / not the low beam conversion.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 06-25-2004, 11:54 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think depart stop has them at a reasonable price. Doing the factory conversion will only affect the low beams since the high beams still use the normal halogen bulb.

Good luck,

-Skip
Old 06-26-2004, 10:22 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Porsche have stopped selling the conversion kits for 993 - mega bucks and as Skip says only for low beam anyway.

PJC
Old 06-26-2004, 12:24 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

i have dont the conversion on almost 3 cars now (helped on first one). it is easy, just follow pcar DIY

you will pay $1000 TO $1,750 starters (boxes) and lights.

once you flip the light switch on a car w/lits you are hooked

they come on w/a cool flicker and have a great modern look

with brights you have both the lits and the hi beams on, so they help on hi and low.

dont think of it s costing $1500 or so, you keep your old lights nice and in storage and w/sell the car you put them back in and sell the lits to someone else and get your money back.

wouldnt have a 993 w/o them!

also change the turn signal bulbs and lenses and put in better marker and fog light bulbs while your @ it. you will be looking good!!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:58 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey ken what products exactly should i purchase and from where? thanks a bunch. karim
Old 06-26-2004, 01:11 PM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

ken i was just noticing that carnewal has the factory oem hids for nearly 2.5k euros ...........yikes.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:09 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

watch PCA, Rennlist and Ebay for the lits.

call departstop for clear turn signal lens

go to auto parts store for the turn sig and fog bulbs, get sylvania silver star
bulbs, the turn sig silver star are clear when off and amber when on. that way the amber doesnt show through the lens during the day and spoil the clean clear look

sylvania also makes a bluer brighter replacement for the fog light that makes it a closer match to the lit color, other wise the fog looks sick next to the lit

and the fog marker bulb you can replace w/a stronger bulb from the dealer, it is a 996 head light parking light bulb. or there is a BMW bulb that is even brighter.

i found the BMW to Bright and not white.

another idea and my choice if keeping the fog/marker combo i to get an asian import style blue tinted buld for the marker in the fog lens. that gives the freshest look since it has less yellow in it when lit and looks bluish behind the lens even when off.

even better is to replace the usa fog/marker lens w/ an aftermatket turbo S duct (better fit and nicer lens than oem) and put a silver star bulb in the cool round light in it.

the look is more modern and suits the front end well do to the round shapes of the duct, lens and headlights and it gives more air to the oil coolers.

photo of my car w/ducts (also from departstop)
Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2004, 02:20 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

before the clear turn signals and turbo S bumper ducts (all w/trick bulbs)

and it is an even better improvement @ dusk and night w/lights on

new bluish white. old dull yellow

like a nice white smile vs smoker joe

also a silver hood badge finishes off the look since it doesnt fight w/the clear markers.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Default HID Conversion

Just installed the Autolamps Online H1 conversion in my '96 993. Had to install the ballasts inside the fenders, as per the Autolamps online engineers there is some issue with lengthening the wires from the ballast to the bulb or "capsule". The inner fenders offer some protection, but it is not totally dry or clean in there... It all seems to work OK and the light is all I expected, but taking the head light assembly out is much more difficult now as I was not able to use the factory quick disconnect system. Was not happy about that. Did I miss a post where someone solved this issue?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

ArenaRed993 - Yes you did miss it. This write up was done by a fellow Rennlsiter: Mike Capp

http://www.mindspring.com/~cinque/HIDInstall.htm

Actually, Mike just helped me install my set and it's sweet! Just like OEM and I can pull the headlight out just like before.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:42 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Thanks Evan, but I can't seem to access that link from work. The key word filter keeps hitting the category - "Sex"... Guess I will try from home.

Would sure like to move them, but are you sure that this OK to lengthen the igniter (high voltage) line? I did find some threads in here with comments by Dan in St Louis (et al), that say it is a problem over time.

Perhaps I should have bought the Catz kits... Grrrr....
Bill
Old 06-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Bill, We did NOT touch the output side of the igniter, or high voltage side.

What's your email and I will email you Mike's article.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Thanks Evan. It's williammneedy@eaton.com
Bill
Old 06-28-2004, 05:03 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Evan: Hi. Hope all is well with you.

Bill: There is no problem with splicing or lengthing the wires on the low voltage side (from the ballast to the igniter) and running them thru the inner fender connectors. You cannot splice into the high voltage side (from the igniter to the HID lamp).

I am not familiar with the Auto Lamps kit, but have done this install four times with the Catz kit.

If I can help, please feel free to give me a call at the office. 800-333-0519 x 106.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:11 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Thanks guys. The Autolamps kit uses the Philips one piece igniter/ballast, with a real short high voltage wire, which is why it is in the fender. As I have already bought it and installed it, I guess I will wait to see if it survives in there. Guess if it rusts out I will replace it with the two piece system....

Quick Reply: convert to OEM HID