Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convert to OEM HID

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike - All's been good, hope you folks are well too !

Bill - Check you email.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:35 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Test of uploaded image.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Thanks Evan. Got it.
How do you add a pic of your car in here? I uploaded it, but do not see where to associate it with the messages...
Bill
Old 06-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Bill - you have to become a member first (well worth the $18.00), and then I think 40 posts and you can upload an avitar.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ArenaRed993
Thanks guys. The Autolamps kit uses the Philips one piece igniter/ballast, with a real short high voltage wire, which is why it is in the fender. As I have already bought it and installed it, I guess I will wait to see if it survives in there. Guess if it rusts out I will replace it with the two piece system....
Bill
Before there was the Catz & similar separate igniter & ballast conversion kits, a number of us successfully converted to HID using the Philips single unit ballast/igniter from Autolamps or others. I did a conversion before the availability of H1 based HID bulbs & my foam wrapped Philips resided in my daily driver's fenders w/o any problems for over a year through rain, snow, DEs, etc. Don't worry about that part of the install. I converted to a Catz kit the same as Mike's as a fun project and a more elegant installation.

Robin's P-car.com HID conversion info (1 piece ballast/igniter)
Old 06-28-2004, 11:58 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Thanks Dan. I have the left side mounted on a V shaped bracket that is attached to one of the horn brackets via the horn mounting stud. The right side is resting on and between styrofoam sections to keep it from banging around, with the wires safety tied.

I will probably switch to Catz system down the road for the same reason, as I was so disappointed in the crude nature of this installation. Guess I will use these in the fog lamps or my wife's car.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again Evan. I do not know why it is not showing it, but I am a member and have been since early 2003. I had it in there once back then. If the rules have changed, I guess I need to get busy...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-29-2004, 12:24 AM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Just checked the help forum. Duh. Let's see if this works.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Dayton996T
Advanced

Just FYI, DEPARTSTOP.COM has the factory Litronics for the 993 at nearly half the dealer price.
Cheers
Dayton
Old 06-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just curious since we're on the topic of HID/Lits. Does anyone have any experience with HID H1 kits other than Catz?

I've seen a few different ones on eBay such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Are these any good? They also come in other color temeratures and some have longer cable lengths.

Any input is appreciated. I did do a search on Rennlist but didn't find much info at all. Also, I realize that they are for 'off road' use only, but if the price is around $300 or so, I might be willing to install them until specifically told to take them off.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 03:29 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Watch My 6,

I can't comment on these Ebay kits, other than to say that they look like a parts and pieces hodge-podge. I would avoid this route.

As far as color temperature is concerned, you don't want anything higher than 4300k. That temp is the best foot candle down the road result and a brilliant white light. Anything higher temp is blue, lower light output and very "ricer".

The hands down, best non-OEM HID retro-fit kit is the Catz H1 4300k White kit. Many here installed this kit and the quality is superb and installation dead simple. It is also easy to do AND keep the headlight bucket in and out feature.

There HAS TO BE a Catz source in the USA. I found one very quickly via Google that lists the 993 H1 kit. There must be others as well. For $491 this is the way to go. You may just have to swear that the kit is for your unlicensed dune buggy....

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...ights-Kits.htm
Old 06-30-2004, 04:36 PM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Amen to all that Mike sez... I just put a Autolamps Online system in my 993. It is all very nice hardware, but it is a one piece system. Fitting the electrics in the fenders in a manner that I could live with was a challenge, is not like the factory, and in the end is not very elegant. I am probably going to move it to the fog lamps or to my wife's Acura, find a two piece system (probably the Catz) and then put that system where it belongs, with the igniter in the headlamp assembly and the ballast in the trunk - like the factory system.

This info was all here in the Rennlist, had I looked a little harder before I leapt... Grrrr...

Good luck!
Bill
Old 06-30-2004, 04:42 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bill,

If you find a source for the Catz H1 4300k White kit, or another high quality two piece kit, let the guys here know about it. Also, if you need any install help let me know.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse ... but the link above has an "HID Plus" kit which is supposed to be comparable to the Catz system (they say Catz is out of business). Does anyone have any experience with that particular kit? Looks like a Phillips/Hella ballast and a 4800 degree H1 bulb for $498.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 06-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Watch My 6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I just got off the phone and ordered one of the HID Plus kits from 'brightheadlights-hid.com' I searched everywhere on the web for the Catz units, but couldn't find any in stock.

Gentleman on the phone said he only had a few more of the H1 HID Plus kits left in stock. He did say that the kit was definitely of the same quality as the Catz units and that the wiring was almost exactly the same. I also ordered a couple of the SilverStar bulbs for the high beams.

I guess I'll give them a shot and keep the board updated on what I think of them...

WM6

Last edited by Watch My 6; 06-30-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:32 AM
ArenaRed993
Intermediate

Vic,
The Catz system has the igniter and ballast as 2 separate units. The advantage is that you can mount the igniter in the headlamp and the ballast in the trunk, and keep the factory pop in/out feature.

The Philips system is all in 1 unit. This requires it to be mounted in the inner fender, and prevents the factory feature from being fully utilized. That is, you have to disconnect the ballast after the headlamp assembly is loose, or haul it all out as I have seen in some install pics. Not very elegant.

Bill

Quick Reply: convert to OEM HID