Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, thanks for the info Scott.

-nelson
Old 07-04-2004, 03:01 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Nelson,

Let me know how it turns out. Hopefully I'll be able to check out your car when we have the next BAR run or something. I still need to go by ViperBobs to get a FPB. I know a lot of folks hangout over there. Maybe I'll see you then.

Scott
Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Scott, great thread! I was terrified of having this done and put it off until the last possible minute. Couple weeks ago that magic stone finally found me and the growing crack told me it was time for this surgery. I'm glad I found your thread because they really did a great job and the transformation of the car is really stunning. Another vote for Safelite and David Heller.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 914und993
My Sigla windshield from put in by Safelite is now about a week old. Initially it creaked a little bit, but now its creaking like crazy. I'll put in a call tomorrow morning and hope they can fix it quickly.

Chip

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/280564-how-to-remove-squeaking-creaking-noises-and-torsion-sounds-solution.html
Old 01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
Hey Scott, great thread! I was terrified of having this done and put it off until the last possible minute. Couple weeks ago that magic stone finally found me and the growing crack told me it was time for this surgery. I'm glad I found your thread because they really did a great job and the transformation of the car is really stunning. Another vote for Safelite and David Heller.

Dan,

I'm glad it worked out for you. Let me know what you think about the glass a few months from now. Although I was satisfied with the installation I think the Sigla OEM glass is too hard. It chips very easy.

I heard that the aftermarket glass is better not as hard so it doesn't chip as easy. Not sure if the aftermarket glass that folks were talking about was PPG or not. But it is suppose to be better than the OEM Sigla glass in that it doesn't Chip as easy.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott I hear ya and I read all the threads I could find about replacement glass, and from that and my own experience with other vehicles came to the conclusion that the chipping problem is more a result of the position of the windshield i.e. low and relatively vertical. That being said, with the new glass (including new HL lenses) I am going to try to allow more following distance and esp avoid trucks. Also I'm not going to be driving the 993 daily in an effort to enjoy its "optimal" state for as long as possible!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
...So what is mlincoln disapproved driving?.....nevermind don't go there. I don't want to see 7K plus hits on the counter...

i think it involves some responsible high rpm fun...

imho i'll be going w/ the non oem w.s. hear the material holds up better. seems like i heard it's a softer more forgiving glass that does not chips as easily as stock. newer technoogy? never heard the tint was any diff. though...

& dan you're so right re: following distance... esp. behind other wideass 993's though i got my one hero chip from a truck two lanes over on the fwy.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Recently had my '02 Boxster's windshield replaced going through...

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Can anyone recommend a good glass shop in the EASTBay or SouthBay in Northern California? And would you recommend a mobile repair place?

Got hit this morning on the way to work by a rock shot by a 18Wheeler.

Thanks,
Scott
Safelite Auto Glass, out of Union City CA (just north of Fremont on the east side of the bay).

Installer came to my office location and installation took around 2 hours.

CSAA denied my request for 'factory' glass or premium glass but installer showed up with same glass -- identical markings, etc. -- as original glass in car.

Included in new glass was radio antenna, rear view mirror mounting pad, and even the shading around edge of glass.

Installer recommended I let car sit a few hours before driving to give new glass time to settle/set up.

Dealership quoted me around $1300 for the job and claimed to require the car over night to let car sit 24 hours to let glass glue harden/cure.

Insurance would have probably covered only about $100 or less of this cost, with me responsible for the $500 deductible and of course any balance not covered by the insurance company.

Insurance company claimed that most if not all dealerships subcontract out glass work to an independent, and of couse pocket the difference in labor, along with the parts cost.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had high hopes for using Safelite. Just got a quote from them for $1106 though! Guess I'll keep looking. Had really hoped to have it done for $500.

Macster, what did you pay for yours? I'll pm you.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:37 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Safelite Auto Glass, out of Union City CA (just north of Fremont on the east side of the bay).

Installer came to my office location and installation took around 2 hours.

CSAA denied my request for 'factory' glass or premium glass but installer showed up with same glass -- identical markings, etc. -- as original glass in car.

Included in new glass was radio antenna, rear view mirror mounting pad, and even the shading around edge of glass.

Installer recommended I let car sit a few hours before driving to give new glass time to settle/set up.

Dealership quoted me around $1300 for the job and claimed to require the car over night to let car sit 24 hours to let glass glue harden/cure.

Insurance would have probably covered only about $100 or less of this cost, with me responsible for the $500 deductible and of course any balance not covered by the insurance company.

Insurance company claimed that most if not all dealerships subcontract out glass work to an independent, and of couse pocket the difference in labor, along with the parts cost.

Sincerely,

Macster.
My glass guy, who specializes in Porsche, is requesting my car sit for 3 days after the replacement. Although it does not have to, he highly recommends it. I will probably take his advice.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
mborkow
Drifting

My glass guy, who specializes in Porsche, is requesting my car sit for 3 days after the replacement. Although it does not have to, he highly recommends it. I will probably take his advice.
i had my windshield replaced. drove it home a few hours after it was installed and i did develop an air leak. the glass shop came out again (on their dime) and redid the outer seal. i, again, drove it home a few hours after they were done. 2 years later: no leak, no hiss, no creak (knock on wood). my 993 is my only car so waiting 3 days for it cure wouldn't be a good option for me anyway...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkow
i had my windshield replaced. drove it home a few hours after it was installed and i did develop an air leak. the glass shop came out again (on their dime) and redid the outer seal. i, again, drove it home a few hours after they were done. 2 years later: no leak, no hiss, no creak (knock on wood). my 993 is my only car so waiting 3 days for it cure wouldn't be a good option for me anyway...
The guy did my Explorer about a week ago and said let it sit for a day if I could and if I did have to drive it, keep the tape on outside for another day.

He also suggested I keep the same inner seal on my C4 when he replaces it. Dont have to, just his suggestion.

Having your car as a daily driver only, I understand where your coming from. I used to walk to the dealership across from my Porsche mechanic and rent a car for $11 day at the Hertz at the Ford dealership. I just told them my car was in the shop. Funny thing, they just never asked what shop nor did I tell them.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:31 PM
mborkow
Drifting

I used to walk to the dealership across from my Porsche mechanic and rent a car for $11 day at the Hertz at the Ford dealership. I just told them my car was in the shop. Funny thing, they just never asked what shop nor did I tell them.
brilliant! i have a rental car at the moment...$25/day (and they tell me that is the good rate)
Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mborkow
brilliant! i have a rental car at the moment...$25/day (and they tell me that is the good rate)
I think it was $14 after taxes but I always rented a low end car. A lot of dealerships offer cheap rentals. Most independant Porsche mechanics dont have rentals . And then I deny insurance coverage because my Sears Mastercard covers me 100%, anywhere in the world. As long as I book and pay with the Sears Mastercard, Im covered.

I must have done this 1/2 dozen times over the past few years. "I need a rental, my cars in the shop" thats all I say. Its not like Im lying.

Quick Reply: Front Windshield replacement