Is the 3.8L RS conversion worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Hank Cohn:
<strong>As far as I can recall, there are no aluminum doors for the 993 series of cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hank,
When you posted you had the RSCS doors I just figured they were aluminum. I guess they are just gutted stock 993 doors.
What doors did a 993 Cup car have? I think the RSR's where fiberglass but not sure.
Greg
Old 06-04-2002, 06:23 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Greg:

As far as I know there are NO aluminum doors for the 993 series of cars. That includes the RS/RSCS/Supercup/RSR and GT2. As I said before, I could be wrong, but my steel doors came off of a factory RS.

Hank
Old 06-04-2002, 06:27 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re the RS conversion:

Like Hank, I have done it twice and would do it again. I just like RS cars, and the torque and handling improvements are very noticeable. (Is their therapy for people like me?).
Re the guy in Birmingham whose mechanic claims there is 70-90 h.p. there. No way, mate. Maybe with single throttles, cams, and a MoTeC...
I would be leery of superchargers and the added engine stress. I know there are plenty of folks who think this is a fab idea, but I don't see many of them at the track.
Bottom line: If you want the feel of a Turbo, buy a 993 T-T engine and you can soon have have yourself a GT2-look car that's a lot of fun. But after you do the engine, Motronics, exhaust, Turbo suspension, and tranny, you will have spent a lot more than the 3.8 Sport Kit.

Lee in D.C.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greg - You got me on the camshaft thing. My shop said they were getting some new part for the cams, but it did not work with the hydraulic lifters.

Jerry - I cannot even image staying in fourth in the keyhole. I was playing with 2nd and 3rd all weekend. 2nd was not enough, since I would have to shift to third right before track out. 3rd worked a bit better, but if there was traffic I would drop to 2nd. In the carousel I would drop to 2nd in traffic otherwise carry third then to four on the straight. I would stay in 4th all the way to the keyhole too. Now in the rain I always dropped to 2nd in both of those corners to maximize my exit speed.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Hank - do you know what the stock doors and hood weigh for comparision purposes?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:47 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

Greg - I searched the archieve on cams and found what you were talking about. Basically they did what was outlined in the archieve (see below) to set my cams to spec. They did not use parts from an older model. From what I could understand from the discussion there was a few ways of doing it.

"Anything to help, maybe I wasn't explaining it good enough. When you set your cam timing (Dialing in you camshafts)you cannot do this with a stock hydraulic lifter, it will collapse, because the engine is not running (it was on my engine stand) no oil pressure is available to pump up the lifter to close the lash. The only way possible to set the cam timing on both cams it to do this with a solid adjustable rocker. Once you have dialed in you camshafts, reinstall you hydraulic lifters. "
Old 06-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
The 993 RS and Supercup car and RSRs came with steel doors.........it was possible to order aluminum doors or the big bucks carbon fiber doors. The G&W RSR has factory carbon fiber door shells. However this necessitated sliding windows or no windows.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 06-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill:

I believe the stock doors are about 78 lbs each. I have no idea of the weight of a stock steel hood. Where is the guy (Martin is it?) who has the magic book with all the answers when you need him?

Hank
Old 06-05-2002, 12:23 AM
leslie
Instructor

Hank and Greg,

I agree with you on the bit about aluminium doors. Certainly for the regular RS cars, the doors were just plain gutted steel ones.

However, the 996 GT3cup cars (Certainly the ones for the Asian race series) do have aluminium doors with the telltale sliding perspex windows.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:52 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Leslie:

I own a 996 GT3-Cup and it has plastic doors with plastic windows as do all of the GT3-Cup cars. The GT3/R/RS uses the same doors. Some teams have added window sliders, but the factory ships solid plastic romovable windows with the GT3-Cup car.

Hank

Quick Reply: Is the 3.8L RS conversion worth it?