Sponsored by:

First Zymol, and....small problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:29 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First Zymol, and....small problem

Today the weather was finally nice for a change here in Holland and I decided that now it was time to open up the starter package of Zymol that was already for some time in my garage. First washed the car, some pre zymol cleaner and then the final coating of Zymol applied... Whoooh, what a shine!

So time to take the car for a spin to get rid of the water, and to make of course some nice pictures to capture the shine for who ever is interested. See picture below.

But what is that.... something strange... red lights flas in my tacho, my handbrake is still on?? Nope.. but the light is... so stop, apply the handbrake...light goes out Release the brake, no light, OK problem solved...nope... every once in a while the light pops up and after some time it goes out again.. The brake is fully released and it feels as if the car is running free..

Anybody got any idea..still when I put the handbrake on no light! Is it possible that because of the water the handbrake switch is kinda stuck? Anybody know the location of the switch?

Thanks and just to show of the shine a picture!
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably a loose contact at the rear of the park brake handle. Quite common.

here is a thread with a couple of pictures. a search will probably get you even more info.

max
Old 06-19-2004, 02:53 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Thanks that must be it...hope the weather is not letting me down tomorrow, will take a look!

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

How are your brake pads? If they are down, I am wondering if the sensors are shorting when they get wet.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Forget about the handbrake light, look at that beautiful car! Thanks for posting the picture, that is a great color!! Which zymol did you use? On that color you should use carbon or one of the "specialty" waxes, and be sure to use microfiber towels.

I just used zymol "concours" wax on mine for the first time and was really pleased with the outcome. The shine literally looks "thick" and very warm compared to polymer stuff like zaino, etc. I think I will always have a preference for good ole fashioned carnauba.

Anyway, your car looks great!
Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Hi there Bob,

Thanks for the compliment, I did use carbon, and the deep, kinda wet-look shine is absoltely amazing. I used other waxes but never, ever got this deep finish....no when I only can get solve this small irritating problem with the handbrake light, al will be shiney!
Old 06-19-2004, 06:54 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Bob D.
Forget about the handbrake light, look at that beautiful car! ....
OMG...

I'm with Bob on that one..... That color is drop-dead outstanding.... The picture is wonderful!

Old 06-19-2004, 08:43 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Joris,

beautiful car and beautiful shine! Thanks for posting the picture.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 06-20-2004, 08:16 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments guys,...and the weather is good so will start with the handbrake in just a minute...when I am finished looking at the car.....and that can take a while...
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:55 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Was indeed the contact, was just lying somewhere, very loss fit so've put some tape over the contact housing to prevent it from coming out again!

Easy fixed thanks to you guys!

Again thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 01:24 PM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Joris, As a Northwest Captain I spend alot of layovers biking around AMS. I see 996's all the time there's a nice TT that lives outside, parked next to a houseboat around the corner from our hotel (Golden Tulip City North). Very seldom do I ever see any really nice Porsche's (read air cooled). Been flying to the Continent since the late 70's and have always admired the care and respect Europeans give to their cars. Let alone thier driving habits(disapline). I like to save your e-mail and drop a note in advance of my next crossing. Always enjoy meeting people who share the passion! Reguard's PT
Old 06-20-2004, 02:58 PM
jorisg
Instructor

PT your more then welcome to drop me a line next time you are in AMS, there are plenty of nice air cooled's to be found here, alone in my small town just on the outskirts of Amsterdam there are three 993's and two 964's. Then if you take my mechanics plays, this is like aircooled heaven, from beautiful restored 356's to rally prepared early 911's. And since almost a year a purple 993!! That has taken a shine since this weekend!

Look forward to hear from you!

Old 06-21-2004, 03:53 AM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Jorisg," Air cooled heaven" Sounds like Orange County California but with hard R's. Just outside AMS? I'm not an big e-mailer, as you can tell by the number of posts. Looking forward to sunny days in the NL. Thanks for the reply! hubbpd2fly@aol.com reguards PT
Old 06-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You kidding... ??

The weather has been absolutely horrible in NL!

I have moss growing in my armpits
Old 06-21-2004, 04:46 AM
PD2FLY
Rennlist Member

Ah come on it's offically summer, hit Zandfort on a weekend and count by two's!!

Quick Reply: First Zymol, and....small problem