Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any paint chip experts in Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 01:52 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Any paint chip experts in Bay Area?

Just got back from the PCA new member social. What a great time!

Unfortunately, while driving on pacific coast highway, the car in front of me kicked up a piece of loose asphalt. It bounced around on the road and I watched it bounce right onto my hood. It left several nasty scratches.. Some are down to the metal.

<a href="http://www.cuberootconsulting.com/photos/photos.php?RollID=pictures%2FHobbies%2Fcar%2Fporsche&FrameID=paint_chip" target="_blank">

</a>

Can anybody recommend a paint chip expert in the Bay Area? One that has experience in fixing metallic paints? ( Mine is Polar Silver. )

Thanks...

Jeff
Old 10-28-2001, 03:21 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Jeff,

I'm really to hear about that.

I heard that Jack at Automotive Perfection does a really good job, you might want to contact him.

Automotive Perfection
Redwood City
Jack Perkins (owner)
(650) 365 9483

Hope this helps,
pin
Old 10-28-2001, 03:22 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Smile

"I'm really to hear about that"

I meant that I'm really sorry to hear about that...
Old 10-28-2001, 10:39 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 160 Posts
Jeff,

That looks like polar silver paint...there's only one shop that can match this in the Bay area: Bodystyles in San Jose. The guy there is factory trained, and can match the Polar Silver formula precisely. However, you will probably need to have the hood repainted.

The shop is on San Carlos Blvd in San Jose, just past a Safeway. Take 280 S to 85 E, then get off on San Carlos Blvd. S. It's probably 2.5 miles on your left, but it's hard to see -- probably the best thing is to call ahead.

While your in there you'll likely see some of the 356 and early 911 restorations he's been working on...works of art.

He did some touch up work for me which was exquisite, so thus the recommendation.

Hope that helps!

cheers,

sean
Old 10-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I have had good experiences with both Matthew Carlsen in Palo Alto and Santa Cruz Auto Body in ( you guessed ) Santa Cruz.
e-mail me if you need more detail
Old 10-29-2001, 11:35 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently used German Auto Body in San Jose to paint some parts, they were recommended by my mechanic and delivered a perfect match on my Polar Silver C4S.
Old 10-29-2001, 01:42 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Red face

What a rotten thing to happen on a drive and dinner that was otherwise a lot of fun. Since I was in the back of the group, I know I didn't kick the chunk at you.

If you do locate someone who does a good job fixing just the chip I'd like to know. I had asked a number of places about it when I was getting quotes on painting my bumper covers and they all said the whole panel would need repainting and clear coating.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:18 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by Tom W:
<STRONG>What a rotten thing to happen on a drive and dinner that was otherwise a lot of fun. Since I was in the back of the group, I know I didn't kick the chunk at you.

If you do locate someone who does a good job fixing just the chip I'd like to know. I had asked a number of places about it when I was getting quotes on painting my bumper covers and they all said the whole panel would need repainting and clear coating.</STRONG>
I am trying to stay away from the whole repainting issue. If they don't match the color perfectly, then it will look worse than the several scratches!

Btw, were you the one with the fiske fm10 rims? There was a nice silver cab in the first group with a pretty loud exhaust..

Jeff
Old 10-30-2001, 01:20 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by Jimmy Mc:
<STRONG>I recently used German Auto Body in San Jose to paint some parts, they were recommended by my mechanic and delivered a perfect match on my Polar Silver C4S.</STRONG>
Hi Jimmy...

Can you tell me what kind of work you had done with them? Was it paint chip repair or repainting panels? Also, how much did it cost to have what you got done? And finally, are you still satisified with the quality of the work now?

Thx..

Jeff
Old 10-30-2001, 01:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

No, My wife and I were the Iris Blue Cab in the back of group 1. (I'm also the guy who won the full competition alignment at Roger Kraus Racing.)
Old 10-30-2001, 01:51 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

We were in the middle tables right across from you. We made a deal with the 8 year old ticket chooser, so every couple at our table won something... ( Best money I ever spent for an ice cream cone.. ) haha...

I hope to see you around at more pca events.. Are you going to the autoX in dublin this sunday? I've been to a few DE events, but this will be my first autoX. I'm a bit concerned about the minimal run times though.. Just two laps around the track every time?!?!?

Jeff
Old 10-30-2001, 11:33 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was in the first group with the Polar C4S, I had German Auto Body paint a C2S spoiler grill, purchased from Gert of course, to match. The match is perfect, it looks factory, couple of hundred bucks... Looking at that photo, I think you might need more than a chip repair and go with repainting the whole panel. I have tried to repair my one "valet" door ding that went down to the metal with Langka treatment about 3 times, but it still isn't perfect. Could be pilot error, but I think it is just really hard to match up the flakes in Polar Silver just right, unfortunately.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:39 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I talked to the guy with the Fikse wheels, Matt. Great guy, but tells me those wheels are really problematic to clean. One must clean them, go out and drive around so all of the cleaner comes out of the grooves between the three pieces, then hand rub them out again. Loving my stock wheels more following that conversation. I believe those were Fabspeed exhaust. Matt, you out there?
Old 10-31-2001, 01:54 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

I will not be able to get to Dublin this weekend, I'll be working. I should get a life back in Feb, so I'm looking forward to doing some PCA events in the spring. Right now I'm working on my wife to send me to driving school as a Christmas present (I want to learn in someone elses car.)
Old 11-01-2001, 02:06 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Tom - what does your car look like? My wife and I also live in Half Moon Bay. We have a polar silver C4 Cab. Unfrotunaltely, we were unable to attend last weekend's PCA dinner.

Quick Reply: Any paint chip experts in Bay Area?