Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

You know your shop is awesome when...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:51 AM
jdoc7
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You know your shop is awesome when...

...after changing off some tires and balancing the wheels, they put all the lug wheel locks opposite the valve stem and have the point of the center cap crests pointing towards the valve stems. Now that's attention to detail folks! Thanks Michael Benet at Kauth & Mayeur in Peoria, IL.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that it's even more awesome when your 993's previous owner was the aforementioned person in Peoria!

MB: If you're reading this, 14K miles and a year later, I'm still having a blast! Let me know when you're ready to sell your next p-car (I think I'll pass on your truck!)
Old 06-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Michael is a great guy,
I wish he would come back to rennlist and post sometimes!

Too bad his shop is no where close to me!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Rezal,
I did not know you got MB car, that sucker is fast!
We used to play at the track and he could get that car going!!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Rezal
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm....he did say that the car was never tracked....but he's forgiven.

Yeah, I did remember him saying that it felt faster than the other 993s. I bought it from him lock-stock-and-barrel inc. the chip (he didn't want the hassle of returning it to stock). Dyno says 245 rwhp. Out-of-the-box, the H&R/HD & alignment set-up is perfect. The only performance mod I've done since is upgrading the brakes to the 993RS set-up.

Geez...we're such an incestuous community here with all the parts/car swaps...
Old 06-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Another things that irks me is to see the wheel weights. My shop puts them behind the spokes, so they are hidden. Nice touch.

Now if only they use a little 3m adhesive remover after they remove the old weights and then wash my wheels and apply some wheel wax. now THAT would be aweome! And how about detailing the undercarriage while the car is in the air? I'm just dreaming now..
Old 06-18-2004, 01:49 PM
jdoc7
Pro

Carlos4S

That's great that your shop would do that for you. It shows that they really value their customers and are likely enthusiasts themselves. These things would NEVER happen at a stealership. I am so disgusted with my local Porsche/AUDI dealer. They never make an effort to correct things that are wrong, they don't even do good work. Just about all dealerships now-a-days wash your vehicle when all is done, not them. I love our Honda dealer though, they are top-notch! I only take my Audi for regular maintenance because it is still on warranty. Once that's over, Bye Bye, and hello Kauth & Meyer.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

lug wheel locks opposite the valve stem
hmmm. I would think the wheel lock, which is heavier should be put on where it is closest to the valve. The stem is lighter than the alloy metal that it replaces.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I like and trust Michael and Kauth & Mayeur so much that I sent my car 3 hours south to get work done there! And sillier still, I will continue to do so.

My car had all the same little touches as Jeff's, plus the headlighst were perfectly re-aimed, radio station settings saved (dealer NEVER did this), all removed parts neatly boxed and packed in padding in the trunk, my notes and receipts were annotated, put in order and returned to me, and the car was perfectly clean inside and out. The attention to detail at every step was very reassuring and appreciated. And of course, all the work (and I had quite a list!) was done right the first time.

Don't mean to sound like an ad here, but it seems folks are always posting bad experiences with shops--might as well pass on some good ones too. Thanks again Michael, great to see such high quality work from a fellow rennlister and former 993 owner.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I doubt that the valve stems are less weight than the alloy removed for the hole. Mine are steel so I'm sure they are heavier. Even if it were I would think the the stem sticking up would cause some unbalance....but then that is what wheel weights are for.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:04 PM
nman413
Drifting

Jeff, I actually washed the inside of my wheels while they were off this time so not a shop doing it but the car is nice and clean. Cant wait to see it tomorrow.

BTW does anyone know of a good place to get valve stem caps? All four of mine are mismatched.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know my shop is awesome when they talk me out of paying them to do something and encourage me to DIY it.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

As opposed to my old shop who did not change my hard to get to sparkplug after a $2000.00 tune up. OUCH
Old 06-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Another Chicagoan that wished Michael B and K & M was a couple hours closer.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:05 PM
jdoc7
Pro

If anyone has owned a 964, you'll know why the wheel lock goes opposite the valve stem. C2's and C4's actually had one wheels stud per rim that was red to signify that this 'heavier' stud needed to be opposite the valve stem to balance things out. It's probably more folklore than anything else but if Porsche recommended it for their technicians, then it's good enough for me. I have always done this and will continue to do so. This has been debated over on the 964 forum as well. My point was that MB has such an attention to detail that he even thought of something so small like this. He is a diehard Porsche lover and it shows.

Quick Reply: You know your shop is awesome when...