OT: new-to-me non-993 arrives

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 09:13 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
Default OT: new-to-me non-993 arrives

Hello all,

Turning loose of my C4S was harder than I thought. The good news is that I only had 1 day to wait before picking up the beater I'll have to suffer with for several months until I get the next 993.

I was going to get an E39 M5 until I drove an E34 M5. Very different feel, a real sports car, although heavy. If the E39 is a 996, the E34 is a 993.

Guess I have a weakness for handbuilt cars with 3.6L 6 cylinder engines.

Funny story: Good '93 M5's are hard to find since they only imported about 200 cars. I was looking for the right car for several months and ran away from a lot of basket cases. Our friend and fellow Rennlister Jim Morton offered to help me check out cars, as he is a long time Bimmerphile. (Thanks again Jim!) I finally found one about 150 miles away and asked Jim to come look at it with me. Turns out it was a car Jim owned several years ago! The current owner was a non-enthusiast who only put 6K miles on it over 3+ years. I figure I rescued it.

It'll look better once I Zaino. Car has Koni adjustable shocks, H&R springs, self leveling rear suspension, lowered 1.5"

Luckily, interior is pristine.

Jim C chip and Fahey pipe give 340+hp, ~60hp more than my C4S!

For the audiophiles out there, it also has a JL Audio 12" sub, McIntosh sub amp, a/d/s 336is and McIntosh speakers with a DRX-9255 HU. One of the cleanest, "sweetest" sounding car systems I've heard.

That's all for now. I need to figure out how to deal with things like rear seats, trunk space and decent music. Very weird.

Hope you guys let me trail along at a respectful distance on future drives.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Agro1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow man - that is an amazing car, congrats. My buddy has one as well and I keep telling him to never ever sell it; a true classic. That and a 993 would be a sweet sweet combo. Then all you need is a G500 That stereo is SICK btw and will probably be worth as much as the car in a couple of years...well, almost
Old 06-15-2004, 09:51 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Not bad, not bad at all. I've always been a fan of M34 M5s and, yes, a good example is hard to come by.
One thing is disconcerting to me - Konis/H&Rs upfront and self-leveling in the back? How and why?
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

PeterS,

Wow, you got rid of your C4S?!?! What 993 are you going get in the future - a TT?

Anyway, congrats on the M5.

Rich
Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally posted by nile13

One thing is disconcerting to me - Konis/H&Rs upfront and self-leveling in the back? How and why?
Like 993's and most other cars, the car is set too soft and high from the factory. The Koni's up front allow PSS-9 type damping adjustment (from the top instead of the bottom!) The H&R springs front and rear allow the car to be properly lowered and give the correct spring rates for a sports car. The rear self-leveling system allows the ride height and suspension response to remain constant despite heavy loads in the rear seats and trunk.

Overall, the setup is very nice and gives a ride quality similar to a 993 with PSS-9's, firm yet well damped, and track-ready.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Fellow Rennlister Robert Collins has an identical car. Ever since I saw it, I have always wanted one. As someone who sold an E36 M3 and 1989 635csi on the road to my 993, I will always have a soft spot for BMW's. Looks like you got a beautiful one!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice rig AND sound system...no cleaner power than McIntosh....AK
Old 06-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I owned two E28 M5s, including one with lots of careful BMW Motorsport mods, and also logged many miles on a friend's Dinan Stage 3 E34 M5 with all the right stuff. Ashamed to admit it now, but at the time, I was such a die-hard Bimmerphile that I used to enjoy terrorizing Porsches. There was one particular time with a Boxster out on a test drive with the dealership salesman behind the wheel. I kind of felt like a cat idly batting around a captured mouse....

If you want a handsome "sleeper" that can carry plenty of people and gear and still feel light on its feet, there is no better car than a pre-E39 M5, period. I still miss my M5s, and if all my body parts worked the way they should, there would be one in my garage right now.

Congratualtions!!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally posted by PeterS
Like 993's and most other cars, the car is set too soft and high from the factory. The Koni's up front allow PSS-9 type damping adjustment (from the top instead of the bottom!) The H&R springs front and rear allow the car to be properly lowered and give the correct spring rates for a sports car. The rear self-leveling system allows the ride height and suspension response to remain constant despite heavy loads in the rear seats and trunk.

Overall, the setup is very nice and gives a ride quality similar to a 993 with PSS-9's, firm yet well damped, and track-ready.
This scares me quite a bit, actually. Not to go into details of what I think of self-leveling suspension, such mismatch of front and rear shocks should lead to interesting handling. I'm also very curious if the stiff H&R in the back would not completely override the slef-leveling shocks.
In other words, why not put Konis in the back and forget self-leveling alltogether?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Well...I guess I need to chime in as I kind of created the "locomotive" that Pete now has...

Last Sunday was a good day but full of "deja-vu". A little over 3 years ago, I found myself in the middle of the "dot-bomb". My startup had fizzled and my most disposable toy at the time was my '93 black M5. Regretably, I had to sell the car to float my existance for a few months while I re-grouped.

Now, after three years of never knowing what happened to my beast, it is great to see the car back in the hands of someone who will appreciate it. Knowing Pete from our local BAR drives, I know that he will enjoy the black locomotive. We nick named this car a locomotive as it has such long legs and just keeps building up steam. Onto to more Deja-Vu...

Back when I bought the car in 1998, I was doing a lot of instructing for the BMW club. At the time, the local chapters really wanted to see BMW's only at their track events. "X" cars were no longer welcome (how times have changed). A friend of mine, Richard Hatfield had a nearly identical M5, but a 1991. I liked how the car behaved on the track and it seemed more practical than my 951 with upcoming family plans. We both agreed that a '93 was the ulitmate M5. So after 7 months of searching, I found this black car through the BMW club and sold my 951 and bought this car.

Here's the Deja-Vu part. We ran into Richard on our way home at a Carl's Jr. in Dixon, Ca. From where we all live, Dixon was about as random a place to coincidently meet as one might get. When I saw him I told him what we were up to and he almost refused to believe it. Too small world. Hum...

Anyway. As far as the setup of this M5, I truly wanted a dual purpose family hauler and DE instructing car. I found that both Koni and H and R made components specifically for the M5's that would retain the self levelling rear suspension. It was a good of a setup as you could get and still haul 4 folks with luggage and not have the *** end dragging along all drooped down...

The stereo was setup for those long haul rally's where you just have to have Pink Floyd DSOTM to keep you up and alert in the wee hours of the morning. I think even Dr. Z would approve !

Pete, ENJOY!

(btw. I got first dibs on this car if you when you decide to sell it !!!)

Regards
Old 06-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

E34 M5? I suppose it'll do.

BTW, thanks for setting up Saturday's drive. It was blast!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:02 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Hi Pete, what a small world. I'm glad you found this car and have something to enjoy 'between Porsches'
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice replacement Peter! You'll have to bring it out at the nice BAR drive.

-nelson
Old 06-16-2004, 01:40 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Gorgeous!! A friend has 2 M5s. The 91 is his beater with 161k miles. He also has a pristine 93 with 30k miles which he bought from RPM.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:19 AM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Congrats on the new car~!!! I love the M cars and enjoy each and every one...its nice to share the excitement with another enthusiast...

Awesome car...

Quick Reply: OT: new-to-me non-993 arrives