UK meet lastnight

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 12:04 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done John,
I would be interested in the H1 HID upgrade, your pics were very helpful. Apart from drilling the cover it did n't seem to be difficult to do.
A couple of questions for you:
1) on Wednesday I recall you mentioning that you had to change a fuse to cope with the strike up voltage - is this part of the kit ? Or is this something that you have to purchase separately ? If so where do you fit it?
2) how the hell did you drill your cover without destroying ?
Cheers
Tito.
Old 10-26-2001, 12:30 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Tito.

I drilled the cover - veerrry carefully !
Seriuosly, I just held it in one hand and used a decent drill bit in a cordless drill.

As for the fuse, you just replace the two standard headlight fuses in the fuse box with 20A ones. Autolamps supply one, I bought the other.

I have feedback on the other source. The best price I can get the D2R bulbs & ignitors for is £315. On top of this you then need to modify the back of your lamps to fit these bulbs
Its your choice - save 85 quid and hack the lights, or go the easy route and buy H1 mounting bulbs...

I'll mail you next week with the required password for the deal with Autolamps. You then need to contact them and orderyour bits, quoting the password (You need to order an 'H1 Kit')

Have a good weekend, and speak to you next week.

Cheers,
John.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:55 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks,
I am heading towards the H1.
You have a good weekend to.
Tito.
Old 10-26-2001, 03:41 PM
Rob O'Meara
Instructor

Wayne - my car's in for new hydraulic valve lifters. All six on the exhaust side are being replaced (to start with). The others may need to be done if the problem isn't eradicated.

John I'm on for the lights - I'll read on these new cool blue kits. Don't know what they offer above and beyond the lighthouse beacons you've got on your 911
Old 10-27-2001, 08:35 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts
Can someone enlighten me on what these specail Litronic lights are. I thought 993tt's came with these as standard.
Thanks
Old 10-27-2001, 10:08 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Litronic are basically Xenon - or HID (High Intensity Discharge)lamps. You know all the new BM's / Audi's etc that have that 'blue' light? That's xenon. Gives far greater night time illumination. 993's in the UK did not come equipped with these.

Eric
Old 10-27-2001, 12:41 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys
Been following your thread. Sounds like you've got a good group.

Re: HID lighting. Here's a summary HID post from a few months ago that may be helpful:

"If you want to convert to HID (which I think is very worthwhile, esp if you're over 40), there are 3 choices:

1. Porsche Litronic kit. Includes (as far I know) new headlight assemblies, 35W D2S bulbs, igniters that mount in the headlight assemblies, ballasts that mount in the trunk, and wiring harnesses. Installation is a time consuming PITA, but well w/in the ability of a moderately skilled weekend mechanic & you've got "authentic" Porsche (Philips/Hella) stuff. I think you can find the kit at $1000-$1200.

2. D2S conversion kits. This is what I did through Xenonshop.com (RM Lighting - Raphael). The install is described at Robin's p-car.com with some more photos at my photo page. Although the project took many hours experimenting, etc., I'm over the learning curve & could now do it in 2-3 hours. Also needs a moderately skilled weekend mechanic. IMO the result is identical to Litronics at about $550-600.

3. Newer H1 base 35W HID bulbs. John W (UK) went this route through autolamps-online.com. He was more **** than I in photographing the project. Check it out at John's photo page. The H1 install is reversible, much cleaner & easier. I'd guess it would now take me about 1 hour to do that conversion. Required mechanical ability is less than #1 or #2. Autolamp's price is $600 delivered. I'd check w/John W for an update on his install. (John - you out there?)

Assuming no bad reports from John or others, I would go w/the H1 kit if I were to do another conversion. Having a reversible conversion is a big plus, as is the ability to use a regular H1 bulb in a pinch, and the install is much easier."

BTW, John mentioned a less expensive D2R bulb alternative. As he mentioned, the D2R bulb would require the extensive & irreversible mods that Steve & I had done (it's the same base as the D2S). IMO, don't do it - it's worth the extra cost to use the H1. More important, the D2R bulb (as opposed to the D2S) will not work properly w/our projector headlights.

HID conversion is easier done than described & much easier the 2nd time than the 1st. If I were you, I'd arrange a meeting at John's home, bring him whatever he drinks, & get his hands-on help. ...or you could stop by my place

Regards,
Old 10-27-2001, 01:52 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric, I'm sure 993tt's came with Litronic as standard in the UK - are these Xenons different to the standard twin turbo fitment.
Old 10-28-2001, 05:35 AM
Eric Kasir
Instructor

Originally posted by TB993tt:
<STRONG>Eric, I'm sure 993tt's came with Litronic as standard in the UK - are these Xenons different to the standard twin turbo fitment.</STRONG>
I've not seen any TT's with HID lights - and I know Rob's TT doesn't - maybe they were fitted towards the end of the production run? Or an option?
Old 10-28-2001, 06:47 PM
Rob O'Meara
Instructor

Eric's right,

my '95 TT (admittedly one of the first) has not got litronics. Maybe it was an option in some of the '97 and later versions...
Old 10-29-2001, 03:21 AM
Steve in the UK
Instructor

They may have been on the Turbo S, but I don't think that they ever were on any other model. BTW they did make RHD Litronic units but try asking a Porsche dealership to give you a quote and see the reaction you get.
Usually they refer to the legality of retro fitted assemblies without the self-levelling mechanism. The US retro fit kits did not have self levellers - apparently US Government did'nt worry about such things, although from some recent posts it looks like they are now. Some even talking about banning Xenon bulbs!!!!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:30 AM
timz
AutoX

I just bought a 97 993TT and it has litronic headlights. From the window sticker it looks like it was a standard option here in the US.

-Tim
Old 10-29-2001, 06:05 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,
As a prospective purchaser , is there any chance that they might ban these bulbs (or non-standard/dealer/factory fit) bulbs?
What are the rules on things that have already been done, ie could a theoretical ban be retrospective.
Its just the sort of thing that could put a downer on a good upgrade.
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I would rather consider this before than after?
Any thoughts/ideas?
Tito
Old 10-29-2001, 06:47 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob
I've just checked my 993tt hand book, page 108 refers to the Litronic headlights on the 911 turbo. My car is a very early '95 chassis# TS370412. Are you sure yours doesn't have Litronics, they are more subtle than the very blue versions on todays cars.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:17 AM
Rob O'Meara
Instructor

You're making me think now TB! I'm going to take a look at the car at lunchtime today (it's in for work on the tappets). I'll take a look at the light specs. I remember talking to the main dealer (Lovetts) and they said that my car did not have them. They said that the self-levelling mechanism wasn't fitted and could not be retrofitted.

Rob

Quick Reply: UK meet lastnight