Question about refinishing "big red" calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 12:30 AM
susej1981
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about refinishing "big red" calipers

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting my "big red" calipers refinished. My powdercoating shop wants the entire caliper disassembled and split apart in order to do so. The issue I have with this is, I've read splitting the caliper halves from the 4x bolts that hold it together (yellow) as well as the crossover line (green) is a bad idea. I would rather have the entire caliper (except inside of pistons/bleeder port obviously) sandblasted as a whole.

Even if I were to split them, I can't seem to find any manual/online resource that has the torque spec for those bolts. It does seem like if I choose to get them powdercoated, the rubber bar/cushion on the middle of the crossover line would have to get sliced off as it'll melt while in the oven. I could get them painted (caliper halves wouldn't have to be split apart, but the powdercoating option is cheaper and seems more durable of a finish for a caliper.

Any advice, experiences, or torque figures welcome!

Old 01-17-2024, 10:21 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Give the folks at PMB a call they may share such specs. Also bolt sizes and specs have tables that give TQ ranges. If you plan on DIY, I would think you would replace the bolts (yellow) with new which may give you the bolt specs to look up TQ max.

Also, given age of calipers, the cross over (green) will be a bi*ch to get loose with our possible thread/nut damage. A set of "blacks" I just had redone by PBM need a cross over replaced on a front caliper as it was a challenge to remove.

Others have shied away from sandblasting, as the sand finds its way in to areas you would rather not have it. PMB dips them, another reason for splitting them.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:25 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Ho @Kein Ersatz who is PMB? Can you share the service providers info? Thanks
Old 01-18-2024, 09:10 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

https://pmbperformance.com/collectio...er-restoration
Old 01-18-2024, 09:39 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

PMB is most likely going to suggest calipers be painted and NOT powder coated. This has always been their recommendation, IIRC.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 01-18-2024 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-18-2024, 10:50 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
PMB is most likely going to suggest calipers be painted and NOT to powder coated. This has always been their recommendation, IIRC.
^^^^^this. Proper Brembo piston seals are not that readily available either. Far too many horror stories about calipers being done wrong …and with cheap aftermarket seals.

Just priced caliper refinishing at PMB, about $500 a pair IIRC.

Do it once, do it right.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 01:06 PM
VladiD
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 on the PMB recommendation. I recently had my calipers redone and posted about my experience here.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:20 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I split my calipers and had them powder coated. While they were split I had the bolts, spring plates and crossover line plated in gold cad. I didn't have any issues removing the crossover line with proper flare wrenches, and the caliper half bolts came out without too much fuss as well - they seemed to have a good amount of anti-seize on the threads. The hardest part was getting the small bolts out that hold the spring plates in. Make sure you clean the junk out of the hex/torx hole so you can get good purchase on them. All mine came out with out stripping.

Brembo seals were available without problems when I did it a year ago. I went with the complete kits and replaced the pistons as mine were in poor condition. Result below (these are for my 964).

Tom
Old 01-19-2024, 03:59 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I wouldn't split the calipers. You're not mounting them in a display case under bright lights in your living room. They live inside the rims in the wheel wells. Refinish them nicely and you will be happy. Don't overthink it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Churchill:
996scott (01-19-2024), Gbos1 (01-19-2024), jfischet (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I wouldn't split the calipers. You're not mounting them in a display case under bright lights in your living room. They live inside the rims in the wheel wells. Refinish them nicely and you will be happy. Don't overthink it.
Good advice here. A quick bead blast, VHT rattle can, and replace seals if necessary. It’s a rewarding DIY. And yes to flare wrenches for the pipes. I recall standing on the wrench until it broke free. These are three years old, and they’ve seen some track duty.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foxman:
Churchill (01-20-2024), Gbos1 (01-19-2024), SpeedyC2 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:35 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Absolutely no reason to split the calipers. Find a different PC shop or have them painted.

Seals and dust boots are available from RacingBrake.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:24 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomfun
I split my calipers and had them powder coated. While they were split I had the bolts, spring plates and crossover line plated in gold cad. I didn't have any issues removing the crossover line with proper flare wrenches, and the caliper half bolts came out without too much fuss as well - they seemed to have a good amount of anti-seize on the threads. The hardest part was getting the small bolts out that hold the spring plates in. Make sure you clean the junk out of the hex/torx hole so you can get good purchase on them. All mine came out with out stripping.

Brembo seals were available without problems when I did it a year ago. I went with the complete kits and replaced the pistons as mine were in poor condition. Result below (these are for my 964).

Tom
Very nicely done.

For some of us, the notion that it isn't necessary is inspiration.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:52 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 514 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't split them either. That's not how they're done by Brembo and if I were to refinish them, I'd make them look the way they come from the factory. So that means the ends of the bolts and the crossover lines/fittings are all painted. Only the bleed nipples aren't.

Mine aren't refinished (factory fresh). Just posting these photos for reference.

Last edited by boomboomthump; 01-20-2024 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
Churchill (01-20-2024), SpeedyC2 (01-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Question about refinishing "big red" calipers