993 Forum 1995-1998

Installing Nakamichi CD 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:02 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Randy-

Stock speakers : Front 5 1/4" Rear deck 4"X6" you can also go to 6 1/2 in the front, you've got plenty of room.

Good Luck!!

Old 06-15-2004, 05:45 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What amp setup could be done with this? Where could one be installed? how easy is the wiring, etc?

I have the MB Quarts in the back and the 6 1/2 Focals in the front.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:19 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The amp can be installed in the trunk easily, or under the passenger seat if you get one that will fit.

Wiring is not difficult ... you need a wiring kit, which can be had cheaply on Ebay or more expensively at Best Buy etc. You attach a thick (8 gauge at least) wire to a grounding spot (the seat bolt or a factory ground point in the trunk); the power wire (fused) attaches directly to the battery. The RCA outputs from the head unit go to the amp, and you must wire your speakers directly to the amp as well. Some people run the rear speakers off the head unit and use the amp for the fronts (and a sub if you get one).

If you have the hi-fi setup, the speaker wires are under the passenger seat where the Nokia amp is. If you have the non-hi-fi, they are where the headunit is.

It's not rocket science, but it's fairly labor-intensive when you get to splicing wires or butt-connecting wires. You usually have to drill to get your amp mounted, and you want to be very aware of where you're drilling (gas lines, oil lines, gas tank, etc.). Running cables from the front trunk to the passenger compartment can also be a PITA, although there are a couple of good factory grommets you can use.

Rod Birch at caraudioinnovations is the guy to talk to about this ...

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 06-15-2004, 09:39 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 104 Posts

We don't have Nakamichi here in Belgium so I can't compare.

I have installed a kenwood mask and it really fits great in a black interior (looks like it should be like that).

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...roductId=2560.

It's an unbelievable improvement with the stock cd player and I have just replaced the rear speakers by Boston speakers (bought some mb quartz speakers but didn't have the time to install them yet).
Old 06-15-2004, 09:55 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

PC2 The installation was very straight forward. From a scale of 1 to 10 (10 been hardest) it was a 2. Here's a pic of the Nak CD400 after my install.
Do I need to buy a special wiring harness to install the head unit or do you have to splice the wires? Where can I get a antena plug adapter?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:14 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tsjoel
Do I need to buy a special wiring harness to install the head unit or do you have to splice the wires? Where can I get a antena plug adapter?
You just splice the wires and the antena plug plugs straight into the Nakamichi. Here's a thread regarding my installation of Nakamichi CD400 https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=nakamichi

Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Peter,
Thanks for the link!!! I hope the difficulty level of 2 holds true for me. I tend to have a shleprock black cloud over me when I attempt a easy job.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to confirm PC2's comments. I did the DIY recently and it has to be spliced (no adaptor available). Also my antenna plugged right in. Good luck, it's worth the effort.

Quick Reply: Installing Nakamichi CD 400