993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior Detailing help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Detailing help...

The new TT is here and it is great. My only disappointment is that the interior has a little more wear than i would have expected for a 30k car .. but, i think im spoiled as my 97c2 had 13k and the interior was crazy mint. Anyway, the car lived in Fl and was not used too much and the interior leather is a bit dried out; was used a lot for the first 2 years and then has sat around, so inside hasnt seen much love. There are many leather scuffs around the interior (no outright rips), especially around the driver entry as well as the door storage compartments.
2 questions
1) what should i do to fix this up .. i know im being too picky, but i was spoiled - im not trying to win a concours, but want the interior to be really nice.
2) Who can i bring it to either in nyc or nearby who is really good on leather interiors? - doesnt have to be p-car only.

thanks,
r
Old 06-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Griot's Garage sells a Leather Rejuvenator (p. 24 of their catalog). Never tried it, but I may. I am sure others have experience with similar products from other vendors.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:14 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Hi Rob 97 993 c2-

John Paterek in (I believe) Chatham, NJ, is well-known for his work; he
writes for Panorama, etc. I've never had any work done by him, no affiliation, etc.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 192 Posts
Default ColorPlus's SOFFENER

SOFFENER from ColorPlus is one of the best leather restoration products. I've used it for years to prevent leather dryness ... Here is the link

http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_products.html

Regards,
Bill

'92 964C2 Cobalt Blue (For Sale)
Old 06-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

9elheven is right. The Paterek brothers, John and Ray, are well known in Porsche circles as restoration experts. In addition to offering their knowledge they have operated a restoration shop for over 25 years. They really know their stuff.

On PCA.org you can find a list of "Paterek Preferred" products, including the leather treatment SOFFENER. John says it's all he recommends for new or old leather.

In fact, I just came back in from the garage after giving the C4S I just brought home Sunday the SOFFENER treatment on all the leather. I have used this stuff on my previous BMW and on our minivan and really like it. It is not a thick cream but more like a liquid. I use a cut off teashirt sleve to apply it. It goes on fast and soaks in. You can wipe off the residue in a short time and it leaves a nice looking sort of elegant matt finish, not shiny, and it feels good. It lasts a long time too.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:37 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That or I have a C4S interior to get rid of Too bad it's not leather. The seats are though....
Old 06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use this stuff called Leatherique. It is supposed to be good at making stiff leather soft, although I don't know how it works in that regard. It seems to work great at keeping my leather looking and feeling new. It also has no perfumes, or oders to make it smell, it's also not greasey or oily.

Check their website:
http://leatherique.com/
Old 06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can not help on "restoration", but for everyday use I use Lexol Leather conditioner, and IMHO it keeps the leather really soft and naturally looking.

Quick Reply: Interior Detailing help...