Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004 | 10:38 PM
Bokonon
Instructor

Default Budget Stereo Upgrade

Went to Crutchfield and picked up a Blaupunkt Orlando head unit for $220. Also ordered the $12 Aux2 input for it. After removing the stock Becker CDR-210, the new one just plugged right in (no adapters needed). My stock system uses an amp under the passenger seat (does that mean I have a higher-end factory stereo option? see interior shot http://www.bokonon.net/993/9.jpg) The Blaupunkt continues to use this factory amp with no problems. And now I can use my iPod with the Blaupunkt and still add a CD Changer if I ever want to (though I don't think I'd ever want to since I have the iPod). The system is quite a bit fancier looking (maybe too flashy for some) and has a lot of options. In fact the rear panel is IDENTICAL to the Becker CDR-210 except for the Blaupunkts additional aux2 input connector (and some other stuff I won't use like external sound shaping mic input, external clock, etc)

Just thought I'd pass this tip along for those of you that like the factory setup and don't want to spend a lot of money on a super-fancy stereo, just want to use an MP3 player with the stock setup as cheaply as possible without a lot of fuss.

-terry
PS: I'll post a picture of the new radio soon.
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:13 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Do you have a picture of your factory amp under your passenger seat??
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:49 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Terry-

check your PM
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:50 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you change the sprakers ?
I am thinking of starting out with replacing those.
Big sound improvement with the new Head ?
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kelly,
Just got my new avitar up !
Old 06-04-2004 | 06:07 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I changed my speakers and wow, what a difference that alone made!

I have MB Quart - Discus custom fit two ways in the rear, which just slot in as they are same size as the originals, you can re-use the original cover to keep it looking stock, and the black cones actually look better than the faded grey ones.

I have 6" Focal - PolyGlass V2 two ways in the front, their covers look fairly similar to stock, and again a black cone keeps it looking original. I kept the original tweeters as the other speakers are two way. My stereo head unit has a 4 x 50W amp and it as really a vast improvement on the original setup.

I didn't have the audio package with an amp, there may be a better solution if you do have the audio package.

Does anyone have a neat solution to fitting a modest sub in the car?
Old 06-04-2004 | 07:19 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a Clarion "Self powered" sub that cost around $250 USD. It fits under the seat, but reduces travel by about 50%. This pic is from my 964. I haven't installed one in my 993. Bass was enhanced, but not "boomy."

LeeH

1996 C2
1996 Targa

Old 06-04-2004 | 01:26 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Leeham, That Clarion SUB looks like a really good solution!

When you say the travel is reduced, you mean by being under the seat right?

How easy is it to install/wire in?
Old 06-04-2004 | 07:44 PM
sgtbilko
4th Gear

LeeH, I've been considering one of those under seat subs, but am told they make very little difference in the bass dept. I'm certainly not looking for boombastic type bass, but at the same time I don't want to invest in something that only marginally enhances.
I know sound is very subjective, but being as impartial as you can, please advise on the effectiveness of the Clarion?

Thanks
Sarge
Old 06-04-2004 | 07:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Budget Stereo Upgrade

Originally posted by Bokonon
My stock system uses an amp under the passenger seat (does that mean I have a higher-end factory stereo option?
Terry
From your interior photo, your car has the Porsche Hi-Fi sound option (#490) upgrade.
Old 06-05-2004 | 10:52 AM
leeham
Addict
Rennlist Member

The most difficult part of installing the Clarion was finding a firewall penetration to run the wire from the battery through. I used an inline fuse and I have always heard that running the power wire directly to the battery was the best way to avoid interference noises.

To mount it under the seat, I lifted the carpet and put the included brackets beneath it. I had to put two holes in the carpet for the studs to pass through, though.

The seat travel reduction is in lowering the seat pan. The seat still has full fore/aft movement. These were heated sport seats with four way power. The luxury seats may not allow enough space. If someone who didn't know about it tried to lower the seat pan, it would crush the amp or break the seat motor -- I'm not sure which is weaker. The amp housing is aluminum, though.

Sound improvement was disappointing -- if you were outside the car. It increased the bass about 50% over what was there previously, but it didn't boom. It was nice when in the driver seat because you felt the bass rather than hearing it. I planned to install it in the 993, but I never got around to it.

The unit in the picture is five years old. Perhaps they now have something better. Infinity basslink has good sound, but it cannot be installed stealth. The stealth installation, coupled with the lower cost, was the main reason I did it this way. I also have a Pioneer "all-in-one" that I used in the 928 S4. It fit inside the spare tire rim. I think if money is not a consideration, Rod's units are the best option. But if you're on a budget, these all-in-ones are OK. But since I prefer engine "music," I'll probably sell this one and the Pioneer someday. I also have two self-powered bazookas, one of which was used in my first 928. I guess I'm sort of a self-powered amp collector!

LeeH

1996 C2
1996 Targa
Old 06-05-2004 | 04:57 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Whats the hight of the unit?
Old 06-06-2004 | 11:51 AM
Bokonon
Instructor

Thought I would include a picture of the new setup.
-terry
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2004 | 12:25 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put an Infinity Basslink in my 95 C2 coupe -- which was recently totalled. It fits very neatly into one of the rear seats, but there is no way to install it in a stealthy manner. I didn't even bolt it in, just sat it in there, where it was fine and it barely moved when I totalled the car ;-) ... but I think I would bracket it in on the lowered seatback if it was to be there permanently. I just kept a black sweatshirt in the car and tossed it over the sub when I parked so it wasn't visible.

Sound wise, the thing is tremendous ... I had Rod Birch's subs in a 911 Turbo I used to own and this was very comparable, perhaps better. The bass is tight, deep, etc., and, unlike Rod's subs, there is a little remote volume level control that I mounted to the bottom of the ashtray which made a big difference in adjusting the bass to the source material. This is not a sub if you want to play bass music or shake your neighbor's windows, but as a musician, I can tell you it's a very musical sub. I have a friend who put one in a big SUV and was thrilled, so you can imagine that it doesn't have to work very hard in a 911.

As I'm now in a cabriolet, with different rear seats with no seat back, I don't have a way to permanently mount the Basslink. They cost $375 at Circuit City,but mine's only 2 months old and I would consider selling for it for $215 if anyone's interested.

Irregardless, it's as good a bass as I've heard in a 911, an easy install (run a cable to the battery through the grommet by the clutch pedal and ground it to the seat bolt and it's very adjustable (crossover, phase, volume). It has a 200-watt built in amp, a driver and a passive radiator. If you can stand the sight of it, you'll love it ;-)

Vic
95 C4 cabriolet

Last edited by vjd3; 06-06-2004 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Budget Stereo Upgrade