Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Got rear ended today. Aaargh! Best paint shop in Rockville MD area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts
Default Got rear ended today. Aaargh! Best paint shop in Rockville MD area?

Was driving up Wisconsin Av in downtown Bethesda in the rain today and at EXACTLY the same spot I was rear ended 2 years ago in my BMW 740i I was rear ended while waiting at a light by a man in a very old Camry that was so beat up, I couldn't tell if this particular accident caused any damage to HIS car!

His front end looked like an ad for a body shop place, the "before" pics!

I wasn't hurt too bad, just totally rattled and now stuck with a sore back for a while. It could always be worse in this incidents. He was very quiet, and admitted immediately that it was his fault. A nice lady yelled out for me to grab her business card, that she saw the whole thing. I did. I called Geico, didn't call the cops (they rarely come anyway unless someone leaves in a body bag or an ambulance) and now have to have it fixed.

I was going to call Zamora's Bodyshop in Rockville MD, but a friend said that they aren't that great anymore and are living off the reputation of their father, when the place was run alot better. The 2 brothers that run it now don't do the similar great work according to him a few others that know their work. We usually take our cars to them but want to try a better place this time. Plus, it's the 993!!! It needs to look as good as new when completed. This guy that hit me seems to have pushed in the spot where the license plate was and those rear bumperettes. It's ever so slight, and the license plate is barely crumpled a bit. The paints now cracked on the rear bumper. The one good thing that comes out of it is that there already was a crease on the rear bumper from the previous owner that was slightly rear ended by a station wagon, and the $550 repair just wasn't worth doing till now! Maybe insurance will fix this as part of the cost, considering they'll have to fix the bumper anyway.

My friend looked at it and said it was "nothing", but the jolt was not pleasant at all. I'm SO glad I didn't remove the bumperettes, front or rear, as they really DO protect during an accident. The 2 rear bumperettes were clear the "hit" spot in addition to the license plate area.

I REALLY wanted to have it done as close to my house as possible for convenience sake as Virginia is a pain in the a$$ to get to for me, but it always seems like the best shops are down there. ARE there any outstanding body shops in the Silver Spring/Rockville MD area? My buddy said there aren't any good body shops that can be trusted to do excellent work the first time in my area any longer... I know this Wagon Works place is supposed to be great http://wagonworkcollision.com/ but they are nowhere near my house at all. If the body shop is close to home, and you have to go back 2-3 times because they didn't get something just right, then it's not a 1.5 hour round trip ordeal each time!

Anyone? Great local Maryland paint shop?

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 06-02-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ack.....sorry to hear the news Steve.

Good luck with the "restoration".
Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Thanks, Arrwin. I always wonder in a situation like this: "If ONLY I left my last appointment 2 minutes earlier this never would have happened... or, if ONLY I had done this instead of that today, I wouldn't have been at that exact spot for that guy to plow into me at that exact moment!" If only...

Oh well - I am definitely not in control of the world.

Steve
Old 06-02-2004, 02:58 AM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that A friend and I just got rear ended yesterday in his new M3 as well. Kurz Automotive in Gaithersburg does very good work. Several friends have used them. They have a very good reputation among high-end car owners, and the prices to prove it. I've also heard good things about Wagon Works.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 AM
SLVR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Sorry to hear. Wagonworks, the only way to go, IMHO. They'll make it good as new. Now's the time to get rid of the warts on the rear bumper.

Ask John H., he got his front end fixed some time back but I can't remember where. He posted pics at the time, maybe you can search.

Rgds
LV
Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 AM
solsrch
Pro

Steve, Having followed your saga since you were in the search phase, I really feel bad for you. I almost got rear ended yesterday, the guy wound up sliding part way off the road bed instead of into me, but I was in my truck. Anyway, I don't have personal experience with these folks, but have you considered Euro Pros in Gaithersburg. They have a great write up in the May "der Vorganger" (PCA mag) from an event they had there. It sounds like they work on a lot of Porsches and at least the photos make it look like they do really excellent work. A few years ago when my 930 was damaged Wagonworks was way behind in their work. Repairs would have taken forever. I used to drive by there every day and was amazed how long some cars just sat in the lot (could have been payment issues, I don't really know). Anyway, just thought Euro Pros would be worth a visit.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

John H. used Euro Pros to do his check strap repair. I got an estimate from them to do mine and was very impressed (haven't gotten it done yet, though). I think they're former WagonWorks guys.

WagonWorks was charging $25 for an estimate late last year, which I don't think is fair. They'll take it off the repair if you use them, but everyone else was still giving free estimates.

Chris.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:43 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check your PM - Euro Pro
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

You may also want to check out First Choice, in Alexandria. Started by an ex-Wagon Works guy, and was recommended to me by WW when they didn't want to even look at my 993. My car ended up totalled, so I have not seen First Choice's work, but the WW recommendation was enough for them to get my car, and the first class customer service that they gave was exemplary.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
SLVR
Pro

Sounds like WW has more work(s?) than they need... Only had one experience with them and it was excellent but that was over five years ago.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cme to Pittsburgh and go to Greater Pittsburgh Auto Center. These folks are absolute artists.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks. Did the old guy have insurance? Wagon Works is the best, but they make you pay for it too. I've also heard great things about Euro Pros. Did you airbag go off? You'll probably need new bumper shocks. Glad you were ok. Your car will come out looking better than new. Don't you need a Ruf bumper anyway? At the very least, you'll need Euro tail lenses.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:16 AM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Sorry to hear of your accident...I have no advice for help...just a stranger wishing you well and please know that we all at some point have been there in your shoes...

Hope everything goes well for you on your repair and that you're feeling well.

All the best,
David
Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you got whacked. My first thought when I read your thread headline was, "At least his rear bumper crease will be fixed."

Good luck in finding a good body shop!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:00 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, after looking thru all my notes, First Choice in Alexandria is also a good choice, but almost as busy as WW.

Best of luck!!

Quick Reply: Got rear ended today. Aaargh! Best paint shop in Rockville MD area?