Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a dealer handle a pvt party transaction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Lsova
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Will a dealer handle a pvt party transaction?

With my credit union I get a lower interest rate if I buy through a dealer/broker than a private party. I have a car I am interested in with a private party. It will save me about $1,300 over the loan term if I buy through a dealer. Does anyone know if a dealer, for a small fee, will handle the transaction so I am buying through the dealer?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:18 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
It depends on the state laws. In some states, Kansas and Massachussets among them, there is an automatic warranty associated with the purchase of a used car. If you buy a 911 from a private individual and the dealer handles the transaction, and the motor blows up a week later, the dealer is liable for the repair.

In states that don't have such regulations, I've found that an offer of, say, $200-300 or so will motivate the dealer to handle the transaction. I doubt most Porsche dealers would be bothered, but a smaller used car lot would likely be interested.

Vic
95 C4
Old 03-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Ted Brewer
Advanced

I agree wiht Vic's comments above. A few years ago I bought a friends 930 and we ran it through a dealers books in New York state. I signed a document stating the car was be purchased "as is" to protect the dealer.

Ted
Old 03-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Knute
Advanced

I have also seen creative transactions where the car is "flipped" through the dealer as a trade-in, reducing the tax liability for the buyer of the new car by the amount of the trade-in but with the used car sold to the purchaser at a price set by the owner. Like Ted, I signed an "as-is" document to protect the dealer, and everything worked out fine.

-Knute
Old 03-21-2003, 02:39 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've done it, but here in Washington State we have a revenue tax (B&O) and I had to pay that for the dealer - just a few hundred bucks but it saved a bunch in sales tax (trade-in tax credit).
Old 03-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Arthur Del Mundo
Racer

Here in California, I had a friend who bought his car through a dealer that sold cars via consignment sales. Basically people would set the price of the car and have a dealer sell it for them for a small commission fee. The dealer handles all marketing, sales presentation, paperwork, DMV, taxes, registration, etc. The commission fee varies but the one my friend used normally charges 10%. Because my friend already knew the seller and just wanted a dealer to facilitate the sale in order to handle all paperwork and loans (less hastle for my friend basically), he was able to get a lower commission fee instead for the transaction (I believe 5%). This might be one route for you to go through if you have dealers that do consignment sales in your area, or maybe a small mom and pop independent dealership can do it for you for a fee as well.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts
If you have a relationship with a dealer, I'm sure they will do this for you for a token fee, say $300 or so.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:26 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Ted do you have a website with pics of your car? My car is similar looking and I was just curious what your interior looked like and what your rear spoiler looked like from different angles. Thanks Anyway even if you don't.

My Car: : <a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/gtr993" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/user/gtr993</a>
Old 03-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only way to know is to call one or two. If they hang up or laugh, you have your answer.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:04 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
where are you located will make a difference. An out of state dealer more than likely will need to verify the Vin etc. to run through. That, at least in California, requires a physical verification.

Quick Reply: Will a dealer handle a pvt party transaction?