airbag light on a '96

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 10:03 AM
jim morehouse
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Post airbag light on a '96

Posting for a friend. His airbag light came on 2 days ago when he started the car. He can't find any info in his owners manual on what fuse to check (if that's the problem). Can anyone help on what fuse and location and on any other things he might check to clear the warning?

thanks,
Jim
Old 07-12-2001, 10:08 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
An air bag warning light is not a DIY repair. I would recommend you to tell your friend to tak ethe car to a Porsche dealer to have it checked out.

If I recall correctly there was also a recall from Porsche on a faulty horn circuit or something like that, that could set off the air bag unintentionall, you might also want to tell him about that and have the dealer check the vin number of his car while they are at it and see if this TSB is needed or not.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:27 AM
jim morehouse
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
thank you for the quick reply, I'll definitely pass the info along. I know zip about the 993 but is there any chance the light could be something as simple as a blown fuse? Of course, that raises the issue of why the fuse would go in the first place.

thanks again,
Jim
Old 07-12-2001, 10:58 AM
mick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim
Does the airbag light come on and go out after a few minutes or just stay on. If it goes out after a few minutes and he has recently disconnected the battery or speedometer it could be that the computer just needs to be reset. This happended to me and is a simple fix at your dealer. If it stays on I would defer to Robin above. mick
Old 07-12-2001, 11:39 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a tech bulletin out on the clock--faulty circuitry. The clock was replaced in my car because the airbag light kept coming on (locked-in)--say a few months--after being reset (when no error codes were found).

I'm guessing the tech bulletin applies to both the 964 and 993--that is, I think they use the same clock. Don't have the receipt in front of me (I'm at work), but I'm 90% sure the clock that was put in my 964 had a 993 part-number.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Randall Granaas:
<STRONG>I think they use the same clock. Don't have the receipt in front of me (I'm at work), but I'm 90% sure the clock that was put in my 964 had a 993 part-number.

Hope this helps.</STRONG>
The 964 clock were used only on the 94 manufactured 993s, part number 964 641 701 00, starting 95 Porsche switched to clock part number 993 641 701 00

Robin

P-car.com
Old 07-13-2001, 02:04 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
My car had the airbag light tripped before I bought it. According to the dealer who did my ppi, the airbag light can be tripped (very rare though) from the battery draining and jump starting the car (which the PO did). It only costs $50 to have it reset. The maintenance schedules for it to be tripped and reset every 5 years anyway.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:14 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally posted by Robin 993 DX In Atlanta:
<STRONG>If I recall correctly there was also a recall from Porsche on a faulty horn circuit or something like that, that could set off the air bag unintentionall, you might also want to tell him about that and have the dealer check the vin number of his car while they are at it and see if this TSB is needed or not.</STRONG>

Robin you are completely correct in your recollection of this recall. I just bought a '96' and called Porsche Customer Care this week to find out about the recalls and this one had not been done to my car yet. The airbags in my car have already been removed and the warning bulb removed in the instrument cluster so it is not an issue with my car. Incidently this trips the Central Warning light every time I start the car which I then have to shut off manually each time.

Quick Reply: airbag light on a '96