Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Safe and Sound in Sunny Houston !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 11:09 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts
Talking Safe and Sound in Sunny Houston !!!

Hi everyone,

I've been somewhat absent for the last few weeks during my move to the Lone Star State from CA - and I thought I'd give a brief report on my experience with Intercity Lines and moving my 993.

Intercity picked up my car on Sunday, June 24...prior to loading the car on the truck, they did a thourough inspection inside and out, looking primarily for cosmetic flaws that they would not like to be responsible for. Grin. After the inspection, they covered everything in the car with plastic (seats, steering wheel, floormats, etc.) and loaded it onto the lower deck of a closed double-deck trailer. They promised 12 days from San Jose to Houston.

Fast forward 7 days, 2100 miles, One champion 2000 Nissan Xterra towing a 5500 lb U-haul trailer (long story...lesson, never try and skimp on your movers...they may not live up to your expectations!), and innumerable x-contry memories...

Intercity delivered my car a full 4 days ahead of schedule (they had a dramatic change of route in order to get a perfectly restored series 1 356 from LA to Atlanta on time) To make a long email short, the car came through perfectly - no dings, no appearent wear, the suspensions sings...great!

In summary, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN TRANSPORTING AN AUTOMOBILE. They are professionals who truely care about the cars in their care. Special thanks to Donna and Jim Gallager for taking care of mine. Grin.

That's about all for now, it's good to be back! I can't wait for my first DE in the fall out here!

cheers,

sean
Old 07-11-2001, 08:04 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Great news. I am in the early process of shipping my new 993 from Princeton to Austin and have decided to use Intercity. Their reputation has been unquestioned on this forum, but some have suggested that they are somewhat pricey. Well i requested quotes from two other transport services and Intercity was the lowest.

(Obligatory "I am in no way associated with Intercity, etc. etc.")

kev
Old 07-12-2001, 10:51 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Kev,

I found that intercity was the cheapest among comparable services (flatbed, fully enclosed trailers, autos only). My dad shipped his '73 911T using North American some years back, and it cost him thousands in repairs to get the suspension fixed upon arrival...my advice, leave it to the pros. Even if it costs a few $ more. You may end up paying for what you get.

Cheers,

sean
Old 07-12-2001, 03:50 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sean,

Welcome to Houston! I hope you can survive the rest of the summer, it is really beginning to heat up. Let me know when you have time, and I will show you some of the few driving raods that we have.

Regards,
Scott
Old 07-12-2001, 06:19 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shoot, you'll have to show me those driving roads, too

Allen Parkway, Fondren between Westheimer & Briar Forest, ...?
Old 07-12-2001, 08:05 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Robert,

Further west, out around Sealy and Pattison. Let me know when you are ready, and I will meet up with you.

Regards,
Scott
Old 07-13-2001, 10:07 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

I live out beyond Beltway 8 on Richmond...only straight roads here

I did get a great drive in down to Crystal Beach on the 4th of July...took the looong way through the twisty backcountry bayous.

Maybe we should organize a mini-caravan to check out some backroads... I'm booked Sat & Sun this weekend, but next would be dandy !!

Great to be in Texas...Grin.

sean
Old 07-13-2001, 11:14 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott,

Oh, sure, THOSE roads are nice, I just wouldn't call them 'in Houston'! I guess I'm just too picky . If I drive out into the countryside, it's usually on the way to the track where I can drive REALLY fast

Or, have done a couple of picnics w. the wife.

Quick Reply: Safe and Sound in Sunny Houston !!!