Sponsored by:

Tube under the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 11:35 PM
keeperjones
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tube under the dash?

I am changing out the stereo in my 97 993 and I came across this tube that was not connected to anything. There is not a lot of things you can see through the stereo hole, but I don't see anything. I thought it might be the vacuum line for the AC system recirculation flap actuator, but I don't think it is the right kind of hose. When I turn the car on, I don't think I feel any vacuum through it, regardless of the position of the recirculation button. I don't really want to put it back together without figuring it out. I am not even sure what to search for. The only thing tubing or hose under the dash related that comes up is the vacuum line. It is about the same size as the windshield washer fluid line, but I don't think that comes inside the cab. Anyone have any ideas?

KJ

Old 11-06-2023, 04:57 AM
TakeFour
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Vacuum hose for one of the servo motors
Old 11-06-2023, 06:30 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeFour
Vacuum hose for one of the servo motors
This is not correct at all. The HVAC servo motors are electric, all five of them. The thread starter is also right in mentioning that this hose is not a vacuum hose, the one going to the recirculation flap is a stiff plastic tube, about 5-6mm in diameter.
Since I am posting anyway, my best advice would be to pull the hose and try to find where it goes.
Tore
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:07 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

It's probably a breathalyzer ignition hose, LOL
The following users liked this post:
996scott (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:22 PM
keeperjones
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, mystery solved. I pulled the CCU just to make sure it wasn't the vacuum line and it wasn't. ToreB is correct, the main vacuum line is stiff and a smaller diameter. It uses a bigger black rubber piece to connect it. I was trying to figure out where it went and I figured out that it went into the wiring harness and that didn't make any sense. I just happened to look into the tube with my phone magnifier light and all of the sudden things started to make more sense. It is not a tube, it is wires. After a little bit of research, I found a picture of the stock stereo wiring harness. You can see from the picture, when the original owner had the custom stereo install, they cut the harness and I guess they just shrunk back in there. You can even see where the black on the "tube" came from. Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: Tube under the dash?