Need help w/PPI in Boston

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 06:27 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Need help w/PPI in Boston

A friend is interested in a '96 arena red tt at Copley Motorcars in Boston - price already agreed. Assuming a prior interested party can't write the check by tomorrow, he's ready to move on it & will need a PPI.

Can anyone suggest a good place for a PPI of this car? What about either of the 2 P dealers: Chambers Motorcars or Clair Porsche?

Anyone know anything - good/bad - about Copley?

Last, anyone in the area willing to drop by for a once over?

<a href="http://www.copleymotorcars.com/Porsche5_25.2vo260.html" target="_blank">1996 Porsche 993 twin turbo</a>

Old 05-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original owner of my '00 C4 Millennium used Clair for service work.....they are taking care of his new twin turbo....

Maybe Vic can help you out....he had a long thread going about R.I. dealers recently....he is in Boston and has owned a bunch of 993s
Old 05-28-2002, 09:18 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

It won't be the lowest price you find, but Dana Spada at Clair is a really honest guy. He is the lead tech and hasn't steered me wrong.

Good luck with the twin...
Old 05-28-2002, 10:58 PM
RobMc
Instructor

Dan it may be in your best interest to go to an independant Porsche shop that dosen't sell cars that way you will get an unbiased opinion.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:49 AM
jhb
Racer

I live about two blocks from Copley, walk by it on my way to work. I could take a look if you want. They are a little pricey, but have not heard anything bad about them (or good for that matter)

I just dropped off my car at Herb Chambers today, I have had a spotty relationship with them. They do good work, but I feel they recommend work that may not need to be done, and are expensive. I have a very long story about my cab top (posted in an earlier thread) where they quoted me about 2k to repair, and all it needed was an adjustment, which I did myself in about 1 hour. Never used Clair.

When I bought my car in August, the car was prept at Rennsport in Framingham, never used the guy myself, but he prides himself on his reputation. Another guy I used for my BMW who also does porsche is European Car DR next to Fenway Park. He seems reasonable, but cannot speak to his Porsche knowledge.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Eurotech Advanced Automotive in Framingham,
about 25 minutes from Copley Place. 508 879 9911,
tell them Tim with the 96 Targa sent you.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:41 PM
john.rogers
Intermediate

If I was doing a PPE in the Boston Area I would go to EPE (European Performance Engineering) in Natick Ma. It is about 20 miles west of Boston. See their web site at <a href="http://www.epe.com/." target="_blank">http://www.epe.com/.</a> They are not a dealer. I would suggest calling Jerry whose is the owner. Their web site has all the details

I was very impressed with them in a recent PCA Northeast event that they hosted.

I am not affiliated with them. Just my $.02 worth.

Good luck. Love that Arena Red.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:11 PM
timrod
Track Day

Exclamation

I second John's endorsement of European Performance Engineering. (I have no affiliation with European Performance.)

I also advise staying away from Eurotech. They did a PPI for me on a 993 and missed several significant mechanical problems that cost over $10,000 to repair after my purchase.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:14 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys (& also to those who emailed) for your fast & helpful suggestions. This Board has come through again - what a great resource!

The prior interested party couldn't do the deal, so my friend just bought the car subject to a favorable PPI & thereafter his personal inspection.

jbh
If you wouldn't mind stopping by Copley during the next few days & giving the car a visual, your impressions would be greatly appreciated. I've emailed you my friend's name as a reference.

BTW, the color matched wheels are oem factory optioned hollow spokes.
Old 05-29-2002, 07:25 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by timrod:
<strong>I They did a PPI for me on a 993 and missed several significant mechanical problems that cost over $10,000 to repair after my purchase.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What needed to be fixed/replaced that cost $10K?????
Old 05-29-2002, 10:30 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

Maybe I just had a bad experience with EPE, but they tried scare tactics on me to replace the clutch/pressure plate on my '87 cab, which 10K miles later was still strong...

I felt like I was only there to feed their racing program.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:58 PM
jhb
Racer

I actually stopped by tonight, but he was closed, he did have the car listed in his window. He has a 2003 SL with 100 miles parked in the showroom window, cool car, but no Porsche! I'll try and stop by tomorrow or Friday for a visual. I hope to get my car back from the dealer tomorrow night, so that might be tough. I'll keep you posted.

I did inquire to a few friends about the dealer, and they were all favorable. Hope it works out for your friend
Old 05-30-2002, 12:00 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Well, the consensus (posts & emails) seems to be EPE (notwithstanding mpm's comments), so that's where the car goes Friday for a PPI. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:36 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
MPM

Doesa that mean you won't have your Cayenne serviced at EPE?

M in C
Old 05-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by timrod:
<strong>
I also advise staying away from Eurotech. They did a PPI for me on a 993 and missed several significant mechanical problems that cost over $10,000 to repair after my purchase.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've known Bill Pfister for about 15 years, including when he was #1 mechanic at EPE.
I'm very skeptical that he missed any collection
of things which might have cost $10K to fix.
That's roughly the cost of a replacement 993
motor...

Quick Reply: Need help w/PPI in Boston