Sponsored by:

anyone used paintscratch.com spray paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:07 PM
duc916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone used paintscratch.com spray paint

I finally got a response from paintscratch about what color code to order. If any of you used there spray cans, what primer and clear coat did you use? I am painting the front spoiler I bought from Viperbob which is currenlty gel-coted fiberglass. I have looked at Robin's website, do his instructions still hold true for using the stuff from a spray can? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what type of spoiler you're painting, but I painted my RS splitters with spray cans from paintscratch.com. The car is Arena Red, and I bought three cans of Arena Red, and three cans of clear-coat. Used two cans of both, so I have an extra one of both if needed later. I posted a thread about 5 months ago on the results, so if you do a search you can see the pics.

The reason spray cans work on the splitters is that they are so small... if you have anything larger you really need a spray gun.

I was happy with the color match. I wouldn't hesitate to use their products again.

I'm not sure what instructions from Robin's site would preclude the use of spray-cans... is there anything specific that you're referring to?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:48 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not familar with paintscratch.com but I do a lot of painting using spray bombs and airbrushes (hobby). Here's a few tips that will help:

1) Practice - Do some practice runs on newspaper first just to get an idea of spray size and volumes.

2) Constant distant - During your practice try to stay in at a constant distance, this will give even paint results.

3) I like to heat up my spray bombs in hot water for a minute or two before starting. The extra pressure caused by the heat gives a slightly finer mist.

4) After you're done, run a sprays through the can upsidedown. This will clear out the nozzle in case you need to use it next time.

Oh yeah, wear a mask. Paints aren't good for you.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:49 AM
duc916
Instructor

Jeff,
I have searched for the post you did about your rs splitters. That was the post that got me going on the splitter and paintscratch.com. I have searched everything I could think of , Jeff96-993, paintscratch.com, splitters, etc. but can not find your post. Do you have a link to it.
I was just making sure that the sanding could be done like Robin did, If I remember correctly you referenced Robin's site in your original post. Thanks for the help guys.

TamiyaGuy - I thought the bonus of painting was not to wear a mask as the fumes will allow you to lose time reference, and you can spend more time wet sanding and buffing without noticing how long it really takes??
Old 05-20-2004, 04:10 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Dan,
I've used paintscratch.com on several different cars and their paint match is nearly perfect IMHO. no affiliation...
Old 05-20-2004, 04:41 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i used paint scratch to paint somthing this winter.. can you tell what it was?

lets just say, as you can tell, im very happy with how well it matched up.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:50 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default now that's funny

Originally posted by duc916

TamiyaGuy - I thought the bonus of painting was not to wear a mask as the fumes will allow you to lose time reference, and you can spend more time wet sanding and buffing without noticing how long it really takes??
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by duc916
Jeff,
... but can not find your post. Do you have a link to it.
I was just making sure that the sanding could be done like Robin did, If I remember correctly you referenced Robin's site in your original post. Thanks for the help guys.

I've never tried to paste a link before, but here goes....

Original Message

Plus 1 more...

(if the links don't work, it just proves operator incompetence).
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I prefer sniffing dry markers for my high.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:26 AM
duc916
Instructor

Jeff,
Thanks for the links. I am going to order the paint today and see how it goes.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 349 Posts

White Out is my drug of choice!!!! Then it is off to the grocery store for some nitrous out of the whipping cream cans

Quick Reply: anyone used paintscratch.com spray paint