Is suspension a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:32 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is suspension a DIY?

I've got a '95 Cab and believe the shocks need replaced. I don't track it but on hard braking the nose seems to dive pretty hard. It's got 52K and as best I can tell, they are the originals.

I've read the DIY on p-car.com. I'm comfortable doing my own work, in fact, I really like it. But I don't know if this is a good DIY. My questions are, is it a DIY? How much would having it done cost versus DIY?

And lastly, what if I wanted to lower my car at the same time? Is that just(?) a matter of replacing the springs? How does that change the DIY/have it done equation?

TIA!
Jim
Old 05-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search under "bilstein hd's" posted by me. I just asked about this and it got a huge response. I'm DIY'ing mine in about 3 wks.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick,
Thanks, I must have missed that one. Very helpful! If I understand correctly, I need to replace my springs to lower to car. Is that a DIY'er?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:10 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Jim,

The whole affair of changing the suspension is a DIY with some basic tools, the DIY on p-car.com and the support of the folks here on Rennlist...
Old 05-18-2004, 12:47 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely a DIY with basic tools and skills. Let me put it to you this way....if I can do it anyone can. I really had no experience when I tackled this (in fact I didn't have any "real" tools and it gave me an excuse to get mechanic's tool set).
Old 05-18-2004, 12:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

On the flip side I watched Viper Bob do the suspension on
my TT and I would say its a 8-9 on the DIY scale of 1-10.
And I do my own brakes and stuff. so just be carefull and get
all the info you can before hand.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:04 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd agree with bet. If I can do it anyone can. It isn't really difficult and it isn't overly complex - it is just very involving. There are a lot of things to do, but it isn't rocket science. Do plan on a professional corner balance and 4 wheel alignment immediately afterwards though, and like OldGuy said, do your homework - which obviously you've taken care of.

You will need to replace springs to lower the car. Various info on that one with the different setups which will affect the install directions I understand. I personally did the H&R / Bilstein HD combo for a very simple direct replacement install. (If you do that combo, the lower part of the thread range for the shock collars are very low - too low for some - but my back nor driveway hasn't complained yet.) So to replace your shocks, you have to compress the springs, dismantle the shock assembly, and put the new shock in its place within the stock spring. Exact same procedure if you are putting a different spring on so you might as well do it all at once. "Honestly dear, if I'm in that far I might as well put new springs in again or I'll have to pay more later to get it realigned once again!"

Two tools are a helpful here - air compressor/impact wrench and air ratchet for a lot of various jobs, and a coil spring compressor is absolutely necessary for dismantling and re...mantling (?) the assemblies. But you can rent that from Auto Zone or something like that usually.

So yes, if you are a sick fool like most of us then yes you can do this and might even enjoy it.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:25 PM
H. Miller
Racer

Had it done: $800 for installation including 4 wheel alignment.
HR springs/Bilstein HDs/M030 sways.
The left rear drop link broke in the first week and installer fixed for free.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:24 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input. I'll be putting new HD's and springs (undecided brand) in my budget and will DIY.

Thanks guys!
Jim
Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 AM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly dear, if I'm in that far I might as well put new springs in again or I'll have to pay more later to get it realigned once again!
Ha!! Excellent! That's exactly what I said when my power steering rack started to leak. "Might as well replace the suspension to avoid another alignment!" Now if only a hole would suddenly appear in one of my mufflers, I'd have a new exhaust, intake, and a performance chip! <LOL>

Quick Reply: Is suspension a DIY?