Sponsored by:

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:36 PM
993tt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clutch problem

I tried to search but didn't find anything that relate to my specific problem.

I owned my 993TT for three years now and on and off I noticed that the clutch can't be pressed all the way to the floor. It stops approx. 1" above the floor (mechanic/solid stop almost as if something was between the pedal and the floor) and when I release it to drive away it engage higher than normally (1" maybe?). This have only happened when the car have been sitting for over night or a longer time and it only happens about once every three weeks if I drive it every day.

Recently, during winter service, I noticed that the clutch reservoair in the trunk was completely full. It was even "wet" on the outside, indicating that somhow pentosin was flowing into it from the system. I thought that maybe this was because the car been sitting still for a couple of months and... well, anyway. I drained some pentosin out of the reservoair and thought that I drive for a couple of days and the check it again. Everything went well and the level stayed normal. Until today...

This morning I got the 1" feel again but didn't think much of it. I drove away but when stopping at a red light I could feel that all of a sudden it was more like 2" and when driving away the clutch didn't engage until the pedal was almost fully released! What the heck! I thought and pulled over. The first thing I checked was the reservoair and now it was completely full again! It was even pentosin on top of the lid.

Now, I don't know if these two problems relate or not. I read that if the slave cylinder goes bad one of the symptoms is that the reservoair fills up but I never heard or read anything about my pedal problem before.

Anyone got any suggestions of what to do?

/Erik
Old 05-16-2004, 10:47 PM
msw
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 17 Posts

Erik,
My 97 turbo had the pentosin reservior "overflow" problem which was cured with a new slave cylinder.

The clutch also had very similar problems that you describe which would only seem to happen when first started in the morning...it evolved into a very "ratchy" stiff sensation when the clutch was depressed quickly. It remained smooth and easy when depressed slowly. I had the "accumulator" replaced (which I am told is a rubber bladder that houses nitrogen gas - bladder had cracked and gas leaked out) and the clutch is smooth as silk again. Clutch has 128K miles on it...

Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:48 AM
993tt
Racer

I ordered a new slavecylinder and will replace it as soon as it arrives. But I cannot understand how it would help my pedal problem... If the pedal was mushy (is that a word?) around where it stops I could understand but as it is now it stops solid, like the floor just moved 1" closer!

I have to check the pedal assy to make sure that nothing is loose in there.

/Erik
Old 05-17-2004, 12:32 PM
msw
Racer

Erik,
I do not think replacing the slave will change the pedal issue.

I think there is a possibility that your "accumulator" is failing/failed. As I said,I used to have very similar thing happen with my clutch. Replacing the "accumulator" fixed the pedal travel issue.
Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 PM
993tt
Racer

Is it possible to change the accumulator without removing the slave cylinder? Or is it best to do them both at the same time?

Actually, I looked in the service manual and it does look as the accumulator could be replaced independently of the cylinder. Though it would be nice to know for sure so I don't have to do it twice

/Erik
Old 05-17-2004, 12:51 PM
msw
Racer

Erik,
I believe they can be done independently.

First, I had my slave replaced to fix the "overflow" issue.

The shop did not know what was causing the clutch to stop short on depression and release higher (only on occasion and usually first thing in the morning)...but that evolved over time into the "ratchety" sensation with fast clutch depression that was not there if depressed slowly (like a dash pot). The shop had another turbo with similar problems and it turned out to be the accumulator. So the shop called me and told me to bring my car in...accumulator was around $130 and I think it was around an hour of labor. Clutch has been great ever since.
Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 02:50 PM
993tt
Racer

Did you also have this hard stop or was it more spungy?

/E
Old 05-17-2004, 02:56 PM
msw
Racer

Erik,
Solid stop...felt like not reaching the floor...then grabbed near top of range. When it would happen, I would not put into gear, let clutch out, and redepress clutch. Seemed to work fine then.

After awhile, this *changed* into a constant "rachety"/stiff clutch with fast depression.

Fixed when accumulator was replaced.
Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 03:04 PM
993tt
Racer

Exactly like mine then. Finally someone who knows about this problem!

I tried with Porsche Sweden, Porsche Club Swedens board and I even posted about this here about two years ago but no one ever had any ideas.

GREAT!!!

Now I just have to order the accumulator tomorrow. I only hope that it's not as expensive as the slave cylinder...

thanks!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:24 PM
msw
Racer

Erik,
I might suggest checking the accumulator and making sure this is the problem before ordering a new one. They are around $130...
Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike (MSW),

128k on a turbo's clutch? That's a great testament to taking care of the machinery. Well done. I've always wondered about guys needing clutches at 40k mi...

Golf clap...
Old 05-17-2004, 06:33 PM
msw
Racer

Thanks Derrick. Lots of highway miles and good luck.
Mike

Quick Reply: Clutch problem