993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 owner, hello!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 02:53 AM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa;[url=tel:18402996
18402996[/url]]Great stuff! Love Aventura Green!
quick tip - for superior bass extension in hifi equipped 993s, this is what Rod at Car Audio Innovations does (he’s kinda the OG on these cars since 1991) …
Make the system a 2 way. Put the Focal 6.5” mounted on a plastic spacer directly to the door. Mount the focal tweeter to the backside of the grill. Do not use the enclosure. Disconnect the factory tweeter. Plenty of bass that way…

That is the gist of what's going to happen -- the woofer is going into the door and the mid is going onto the grill itself, similar to how Porsche set up the 997 3-way. The shop I'm working with is going to keep the mid and tweet connected to the passive crossover, and we'll run the woofer on its own channel. Should be good enough for me (and I won't have an extra pair of mids sitting in the garage)
Old 10-26-2022, 09:56 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

I've just been driving the crap out of the car but here are better photos of how the DMH-WT76NEX fits into the dash:

I also just added a steering wheel from an old car of mine (according to the stampings on the back, it was made in 1994, just like the car! Period correct!)

I also got spotted on the road:

And finally, I did some test fitting of some wheels:

I'm broke broke now, FML

Last edited by cheez80; 10-28-2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fix image links
The following users liked this post:
993.Coupe (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 12:18 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

man, i'm an idiot and just realized the image links were broken. i've fixed them now
Old 02-01-2023, 11:52 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

OK, so after many months (2) of waiting and some international shipping delay, i got some stuff in to continue my stereo un-mickey mouse project. i copped a helix p six ultimate dsp/amp combo and the helix director controller (cool piece of kit, but i'm a sucker for gadgets).

got everything squared away at the stereo shop (who could only fit me in like a month after this stuff arrived) and finally came the day to drop it off. the game plan was to remount all the focal flax 3-way components we had discovered earlier, but properly -- without the oem porsche nokia box, with some baffles screwed directly to the door skin. we also decided to rewire much of what was there (2x focal amps) -- there was a bunch of ground/alternator noise with the original setup. we also decided to deaden the door, which gives the midbass woofer a much better enclosure to work with.

this was the original focal amp setup. the little one was smaller than the sandwich i had for lunch that day (also, forgive the ash -- i do smoke cigars in the car):

started to work through placement for the helix amp:

the next day, i took the day off to attend the preview of nintendo world at universal studios hollywood, so i left the shop to their own devices. as i was queuing to get some spaghetti at the cafe, my installer called and texted me these:

turns out the previous installer had wrecked both the mid and the midbass on the drivers side when they stuffed them into the original nokia box. woe is me.

we decided to slap some stuff in that the installer had on hand, so i ended up approving the purchase of a hybrid audio legatia l6.5 midbass, and audison voce 3" and 1" components. the new drivers are sitting on the table in the photo below:

a look at the deadening job:

the next morning, i get a call from the installer saying that the helix is dead. LOL. essentially anything that could've gone wrong did go wrong with this install. we hacked together a 3 way front stage without the helix amp/dsp, and installed an audison 5 channel that i'll continue using in the future to power a sub (any suggestions? haven't really decided on anything yet). so now i have sound, but because there's no dsp, there's no time alignment or EQ other than what my crap pioneer floating deck has.

helix, or helix's US distributor, has been great through all this and i'm waiting on a new amp to arrive.

this is the door after the speakers got installed.

after that, i drove the car a little bit, then took it right back to the mechanic to replace the clutch slave and get new door seals. LOL. expensive week.

Last edited by cheez80; 02-02-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:59 PM
CosmosMoon
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Great stuff! Love Aventura Green!
quick tip - for superior bass extension in hifi equipped 993s, this is what Rod at Car Audio Innovations does (he’s kinda the OG on these cars since 1991) …
Make the system a 2 way. Put the Focal 6.5” mounted on a plastic spacer directly to the door. Mount the focal tweeter to the backside of the grill. Do not use the enclosure. Disconnect the factory tweeter. Plenty of bass that way…

This is almost exactly what I did with my install, but I managed to pull apart the factory tweeter and glue my tweeter in it's place and put it back. The speakers I chose (Alpine, IIRC?) specifically because of the low-profile tweeter.
I'd love to hear a car with the tweeter down in the lower (midrange) location as I find my upper ones to be a bit too close to the listener and, therefore, too directional w. no center-channel. As many have said before, the 993 is a very poor platform for audio.
I used to have a big 5-channel Helix amp back in the early '00s in my old Pathfinder (also not a great platform, but better than the 993!) - Helix makes beautiful equipment. Zo zexy... zo German!

You (or your installer) did the right thing by putting sound-damping on the doors, I think you really need it to get a nice seal for the speakers - my speakers needed a ton of EQ to sound halfway decent, and I did the same spacer ring and 6.5 woofer as the pic above, but no dynamat. I assume your installer fabbed-up that speaker mount for you? That's not sold somewhere is it?
At some point I'll be doing the dynamat in my doors, but waiting to see how all the rest of my mods play out money-wise as a full new leather and new-color repaint is on my list and pulling all that sticky stuff off would be no fun!

Last edited by CosmosMoon; 02-02-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMoon
This is almost exactly what I did with my install, but I managed to pull apart the factory tweeter and glue my tweeter in it's place and put it back. The speakers I chose (Alpine, IIRC?) specifically because of the low-profile tweeter.
that's how the focal flax tweeters were put in before -- they fit into the factory tweeter cups and were glued in. i wish i could run something dumb like the focal utopia be tweet, but they're like 3" across haha

You (or your installer) did the right thing by putting sound-damping on the doors, I think you really need it to get a nice seal for the speakers - my speakers needed a ton of EQ to sound halfway decent, and I did the same spacer ring and 6.5 woofer as the pic above, but no dynamat. I assume your installer fabbed-up that speaker mount for you? That's not sold somewhere is it?
no, these are one-off, sized specifically for the drivers. i couldn't really find much off-the-shelf for this car, but it seems like companies make (CAI) and have made (paris audio?) subwoofer enclosures for it. these rings/adapters are made of ABS.

At some point I'll be doing the dynamat in my doors, but waiting to see how all the rest of my mods play out money-wise as a full new leather and new-color repaint is on my list and pulling all that sticky stuff off would be no fun!
that's a good point! i had a PDR guy come and take some dents out before the car went into the stereo shop, because removing deadener THEN taking out dents makes no sense. good luck with your project!
Old 02-05-2023, 10:49 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

I guess my build thread has turned into a tangent about car audio, more or less, but other mods are coming:

My wheel rebuilder sent me these photos today. More tomorrow!
Old 02-07-2023, 01:44 AM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

This happened today.

As a precursor, I had some other things done last week in preparation:
1. new door seals (just cause the ones on the car already were a mess)
2. new slave cylinder + hose (the clutch pedal wasn't always coming back up to the top)
3. new 72mm extended studs in the front with open ended lug nuts (needed for how large the hub depth is on these bastard child E88s)

Next steps:
1. pick up the wheels from my builder tomorrow
2. schedule an appointment for wheel mount/balance + alignment -- these wheels are sized very aggressively, so additional negative camber might be needed (wish me luck)
3. pick up a super deep 19mm socket that actually goes over these extended studs so I can get the wheels off when I need lmao
Old 02-07-2023, 02:03 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Fyi - couldn’t help but to notice the black cap is missing here. You should be able to find the part # in the PET.

Also - if the clutch continues to hang after swapping the slave cylinder (too bad you didn’t use an MPL slave for lighter effort!) then do a search for “kinematic lever clutch”. Porsche changed the clutch pedal lever many times to get it right.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:07 AM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Fyi - couldn’t help but to notice the black cap is missing here. You should be able to find the part # in the PET.

Also - if the clutch continues to hang after swapping the slave cylinder (too bad you didn’t use an MPL slave for lighter effort!) then do a search for “kinematic lever clutch”. Porsche changed the clutch pedal lever many times to get it right.
Oh wow, thanks! I didn't even know that there was a cap there.

The clutch seems fine now, but I'll keep the kinematic lever in mind.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:11 PM
AMJ0000
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
I guess my build thread has turned into a tangent about car audio, more or less, but other mods are coming:

My wheel rebuilder sent me these photos today. More tomorrow!
What are the specs of the wheels and did they fit?
cheez80 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:26 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Great thread

Nice car! I thought the original BBS wheels look great on the car, just right with the color, etc….

thanks for sharing your audio experiences with us…I replaced my OEM Alpine CD radio with modern Alpine 172-BT and re-coned all
original speakers with my OEM HiFi setup…new head unit putting out more power, so sound is perfect for the small cabin……

A great trip you took!!’
cheez80 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 03:30 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AMJ0000
What are the specs of the wheels and did they fit?
All I remember is they're 18x9/11 -- I need to figure out the offsets. The original calculation we did doesn't hold anymore because the BBS gasket ring that gets sandwiched between barrels adds some width (3mm or so)

Originally Posted by abiazis
Nice car! I thought the original BBS wheels look great on the car, just right with the color, etc….
RS-GT are great but they look better when they have a step lip imo -- unfortunately, that would make them at a minimum a 19" :-/

Originally Posted by abiazis
thanks for sharing your audio experiences with us…I replaced my OEM Alpine CD radio with modern Alpine 172-BT and re-coned all
original speakers with my OEM HiFi setup…new head unit putting out more power, so sound is perfect for the small cabin……

A great trip you took!!’
Nice! These cars need some audio help hahaha
Old 02-20-2023, 11:35 PM
cheez80
Rennlist Member

OK, as promised, here are some photos of the E88s on the car.

Now that everything's shiny, I'm realizing how high it is -- I'm going to schedule some time to crank down the coilovers soon.

Just as reference, the car came with PSS10 + BBI upright setup, so it shouldn't ride too horribly if I lower more...

Wheel spec is 18x9/11 setup, with stock size (225/40/18 + 265/35/18) Advan Apex V601. Looking at service records from previous owners, the car is aligned to some sort of RS-spec, which explains the amount of neg camber in the rear.

I do really need to shout out @bigrig because it was his wheel spec that inspired this whole thing, and more or less what he was running works perfectly with a fender roll. Thanks!

Last edited by cheez80; 02-20-2023 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:37 AM
3point2
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
OK, as promised, here are some photos of the E88s on the car.

Now that everything's shiny, I'm realizing how high it is -- I'm going to schedule some time to crank down the coilovers soon.

Just as reference, the car came with PSS10 + BBI upright setup, so it shouldn't ride too horribly if I lower more...

Wheel spec is 18x9/11 setup, with stock size (225/40/18 + 265/35/18) Advan Apex V601. Looking at service records from previous owners, the car is aligned to some sort of RS-spec, which explains the amount of neg camber in the rear.

I do really need to shout out @bigrig because it was his wheel spec that inspired this whole thing, and more or less what he was running works perfectly with a fender roll. Thanks!
That's a wide setup for a NB. Nice job. Any reason why you didn't go with wider tires to match?

What are the offsets on the wheels?

Quick Reply: New 993 owner, hello!