993 Forum 1995-1998

Going to the Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 08:21 PM
Rand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the Track

Just signed up for the TracQuest event at Willow Springs May 22 and have a few questions. I used to race Formula Fords years ago with the Cal Club but have never taken my street car to a race course. My car has no modifications and I am wondering how "thrashed" is it going get and what can I expect from my brakes and tires. Obviously I do not plan to go off track, but what kind of wear can I expect from lap after lap. I know once I get out there I won't want to come in but I have to keep in mind that this is my pride and joy that I am driving.

Are there preparations that I should take before the event such as brake fluid, pads, etc.

Any tips will be appreciated and if anyone else is going to be there let me know so we can meet.

Thanks
Randy
Old 04-30-2004, 08:44 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

Rand..what run group will you be in?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Rand
Instructor

I will be in the medium run group based on my experience at Willow Springs with the SCCA. But once I start I might find I should be in the slow group.

Randy
Old 04-30-2004, 09:03 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

Randy,
I had these concerns my first time going to a DE with my nearly flawless 90 C2. I also think this concern is a major factor keeping other p-car owners away from trying a DE. In my opinion, in the slow group were all first timers will find themselves, you have less risk of damage to your car than on the street. I think you will get pelted (for lack of a better word) a bit more in the medium group as there will be some drivers there with r-compound tires. In the slow group the vast majority will be running street rubber.

I did still pick up some black speckling in the slow group (I guess from other cars picking up and throwing tire bits stuck on the track) but found they cleaned off without much problem and left no lasting effect.

You will definatly work your brakes more and create more brake dust, but again, this is an easy cleanup. I would say its a good idea to go in with at least 50% or more pad thickness to reduce the chance of heat transfer and brake fade. I don't think you will have to worry about chunking your tires or causing them any other kind of damage. My first two days of DE were with Tracquest at Watkins Glen which is a pretty long and fast track and my car looked as good when I left as when I arrived.

Lastly, I guess the biggest risk to the car at a DE is an accident which, the way I see it, we have control over. With passing signals required in both slow and med. run groups at Tracquest events there should be no problems from other drivers actions.

Have a great time.

Jamie
Old 04-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Rand
Instructor

Jamie

Thanks for the reassurance. I am looking forward to this. Do you use a certain brake pad or brake fluid or will stock be okay?

Randy
Old 04-30-2004, 10:15 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally posted by Rand
Jamie

Thanks for the reassurance. I am looking forward to this. Do you use a certain brake pad or brake fluid or will stock be okay?

Randy
Stock will probably be OK for your first outing. It would be a good idea to at least bleed the brakes first... I will see you there....
Old 05-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rand, when questions of this sort get asked, often there are responses with a packing list of 100 items to bring to the track. That's pretty overwhelming! You have a good question on brakes; if you have any interest at all in DIY projects, definitely pick up a Motive Products pressure bleeder. It lets you VERY easily bleed and/or flush your brake lines, and when you do that it's worth swapping the existing brake fluid with ATE.

The fluid ought to get changed every couple of years whether you DE or not (most people NEVER flush their brakes, but....). So $50 for a great DIY tool is worth picking up whether you pursue the DE thing or not.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rand (whoever the heck you are), stop being lazy and do an archive search - there's lots of material out there. Some thoughts since you won't do this.

- Brakes: a beginner I'd think would be OK with stock brakes; your experience to me seems to say switch to a track pad. And switch to a better brake fluid like ATE Type 200 (give the brakes a complete fluid flush/bleeding at the same time). For info, I bleed brakes after every track event I attend.

- Tires: Start with stock and pump them up a few psi above stock. After every session check the tread; they have a possibility of chunking along the outside edge. It's possible you'll wear the rears down by maybe a half tread thickness - depends on your speed.

- Attire: SNELL SA 2000 rated helmet, long sleeve shirt, long pants (non synthetic fiber), comfortable jogging shoe.

From jford:
[QUOTE]With passing signals required in both slow and med. run groups at Tracquest events there should be no problems from other drivers actions.

You mean upper run groups with Tracquest is a free-for-all (no passing signals req'd)? Thanks; will never run at an event like that where some a-hole could pass me without my signaling him by (these ARE advertised as "Driver Education" events, aren't they?).
Old 05-01-2004, 01:58 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rand,

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you... an experienced driver but will be taking my car out to that very same TracQuest for its first time. I will also be in the medium group, and am running true street tires and stock brakes pads. They are fresh, and Viperbob recently did the brake fluid flush for me.

I found 2" blue painters tape at OSH, and plan to coat my car pretty liberally with tape on the leading edges of most everything. My car will probably look more blue than arena red.

I once went on the track wearing my pager. It beeped at me in mid corner, and scared the crap out of me. I lost all my (what little is left) focus, and had to pit. I take EVERYTHING out of my car... I don't want any strange noises to affect my concentration.

See you there on Saturday!
Old 05-01-2004, 08:21 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Just pulled off my wheels today to check evrything over and tidy things up a bit. I also set my PSS-9 suspension to 1 in the rear and 2 on the front... a little firmer than the 3/4 that it was set to. Feels very firm. I also washed, steel wooled, and waxed the INSIDES of my wheels. My wife just rolled her eyes.

On may 15th, I'm headed out to California Speedway for the POC/PCA races, DE and the famous "Tribute to LeMans" enduro. They are offering parade laps for a nominal fee. It'll be fun just to see what that course feels like. I'm afraid the bug is really gonna bite.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Rand
Instructor

Ray, Thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to get my post count up so I can customize my avatar. Seriously, I appreciate your advice and I am doing an archive search for more information.

Steve, I will see you at the track and will be bringing my roll of blue tape.

Thanks
Randy
Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by Rand
Ray, Thanks for the kind words. I'm just trying to get my post count up so I can customize my avatar. Seriously, I appreciate your advice and I am doing an archive search for more information.
Wow, we may actually make it before the weekend is over without having a new thread war!
Old 05-02-2004, 11:29 PM
kary993
Drifting

Steve, make sure to stop by at California Speedway and say hello. I would love to see your wheels in person, though the pictures have been great, there is nothing like seeing them in person! Maybe I can ride along with you during the lunch time laps if you have room and discuss track locations, braking, and speed/gears with you?

See you there!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Kary,

I'd love to have you ride along and give me pointers. Gadzooks... I know I'm gonna get hooked. And I promised this time. Anyway, my 16-year-old son may be coming out with me, so he'd get first choice for seat time. Many hundreds of years ago, I drove my old Porsche at Ontario... the only banked track I've ever driven. Weird.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, Looks like I'll be missing another party. Todd puts on great events. I'm doing a PCA time trial at Laguna Seca the following weekend and couldn't swing the TracQuest event too.

Ray - yes, it's open passing in the advanced/instuctor's group. To be able to run in that group you are expected to know what you are doing. That doesn't mean it's wheel-to-wheel racing, it means you don't need a point-by. That rule is not unique to TracQuest, it's also how our PCA and other groups out here run for the instructor/fastest group.

Quick Reply: Going to the Track