Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 07:17 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post motor sound option

Hi all,
I am thinking of having the motor sound option added. The people I speak to give me conflictiong advice. Does the sound improve significantly or not?
A few non OPC prople have said that it makes no difference - but I suspect that they are just trying to push me towards an aftermarket exhaust. I don't want to go down this route as I want to keep it as original as possible. I am not really interested in power as this is plently for me (in a crowded city) and few things can keep up anyway.
The sound issue arises as I was behind a 550 Maranello in traffic a few days ago and the sound it made was delicious.
Tito.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:25 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Tito,

For sound alone, I would do two DIY things to save a lot of money. For the mufflers I would buy a set of Robin's modified stock mufflers. I have not heard them in person, but everyone who has them raves about them.

For the airbox, see the diy section of my site as to how to drill out your existing box. It is very simple to do and makes a very nice throaty sound - much better.

Old 06-23-2001, 10:35 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Tito, EJ is absolutely correct. I have a 97C2S which came with Motorsound. I recently swapped out the mufflers with Robin Sun's RSR's and I think it is a significant improvement in sound without being excessively noisy/goofy etc. They growl and rumble beautifully without any change in resonance, a real pet peeve of mine, and I would say they are roughly 10/15% louder than stock which might seem too quiet, but on extended use is just about right for my tastes.

And, I do believe a part of the Motorsound sound is the beholed airbox which comes with it, and the resulting intake swoosh.

So go to Robin's site below and give them a try. He will send the mufflers to you to try out. Your only cost, if you don't like them (which I seriously doubt) will be a few bucks to send them back to him. Robin's Site
Old 06-23-2001, 11:18 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The reason why you are getting conflicting opinions is because most people retrofit the airbox cover alone without the mufflers which came with the original M159 factory option. This tends to not make enough of a difference.

I agree with the others, I would go for the RSR mufflers (Robin's) AND the perforated airbox cover for a marked improvement in sound. I wouldn't, however, expect the sound to be similar to the orchestral 550 Maranello which might have had a non-factory exhaust system anyway. The stock car is very quiet.
Old 06-23-2001, 11:37 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

>>>>I agree with the others, I would go for the RSR mufflers (Robin's) AND the perforated airbox cover for a marked improvement in sound<<<<

And would this advice apply to the turbo too? (I know you have recommended the RSR for the turbo once I get my OEM muffler back - next week - but do you think the airbox perforation is also a requirement to get the most out (or anything) out of RSR muffler). I don't do any DIY of the perforation kind so if the latter is a requirement for getting any bang for one's buck from the muffler mod.... I'll have to rethink what I want to do if anything. Thanks in advance. Opinions, wild guesses as regards % improvement with one or both or any comments welcome.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ran:
<STRONG> And would this advice apply to the turbo too?</STRONG>
No, the airbox cover will not work on the Turbo as it will suck-in hot air from the engine compartment. Stick with the mufflers alone and you'll be happy.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:40 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Viken,

Is that because the intercooler is covering the top of the engine compartment and doesn't allow cool air into the box?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 06-23-2001, 12:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Another Robin Sun RSR muffler convert checking in....This is an incredible muffler. For the effect, you couple the RSRs with the airbox mod or replacement airbox.You can drill out your airbox as many have suggested, and/or, order the air box from various sources..AJ USA in San Diego for 1, Performance Products in Van Nuys. Now match this up with Robin's mufflers, which from the outside appear totally stock.

Once all is installed, warm it up, take the car out and floor it, perhaps a freeway on ramp so all is legal. We wouldn't want to speed, would we? Assuming you have Varioram (96 and later cars), the induction noise is incredible, sounds like a 777 taking off. At 5,000 RPM you can realy hear the Varioram change lengths. I cannot speak for the sound in the 1995 cars: I am certain it is super as well.

And with Robin's most generous return policy, if you don't like them, send them back. In August I have had my RSRs for a year. I remain completely satisfied.Good luck with the project.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 06-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Sam N:
<STRONG>Viken,

Is that because the intercooler is covering the top of the engine compartment and doesn't allow cool air into the box?

Thanks,
Sam</STRONG>
It's because you want outside air to be as cool as possible entering through the special Turbo snorkel under the wailtail lid. No sense in allowing very hot engine air into the airbox.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:40 PM
Pete911air
Instructor

Tito,
If your heart is set on Porsche Original Parts by all means do so. Drilling the airbox is not the same as the Porsche Motor sound cover. The opening is wider and the deflector is different. The complete set from Porsche will get you 5 hp. Porsche does not claim more hp. because they did not want to go thru recertification. When it comes to reselling your car, some people like to have original parts only.

Pete.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:02 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the relpy Pete.
The original thing with me is not with regards to selling the car.
I feel that I will keep this car for some time to come, regardless of what else I may drive. In my mind at least, it is one of the last versions of a motoring icon - very few cars fall in to this category. I just like knowing that as far as possible the car has not deviated from the original design specifications .
Tito.
I think that in the first instance I shall try the motorsound airbox lid.
Old 06-23-2001, 09:47 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Pete911air:
<STRONG>The complete set from Porsche will get you 5 hp.</STRONG>
How exactly does 5 hp feel when you are driving the car???
Old 06-23-2001, 10:59 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Originally posted by Pete911air:
<STRONG>Tito,
If your heart is set on Porsche Original Parts by all means do so. Drilling the airbox is not the same as the Porsche Motor sound cover. The opening is wider and the deflector is different. The complete set from Porsche will get you 5 hp. Porsche does not claim more hp. because they did not want to go thru recertification. When it comes to reselling your car, some people like to have original parts only.

Pete.</STRONG>
Pete - I have the Factory Motorsound and I always understood this to be aural pleasure (steady !) only ...... no additional horses What are you basing the extra 5hp on ? Was this ever stated or tested anywhere .........
Old 06-24-2001, 01:24 AM
Pete911air
Instructor

Chris,
We do have a an engine dyno and test everything we sell.
Pete.

Quick Reply: motor sound option