Sponsored by:

motor sound option

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 01:42 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Pete, are you saying that by placing a chrome plate around the main intake hole and drilling lots of little holes instead of my fewer, bigger holes in exactly the same spot will yield 5 horsepower and mine wont? That seems pretty wild to me. In fact it seems pretty wild to me that any different air box lid would yield 5 horsepower. If you used a dyno, then who am I to argue? But I will ask my question again: "for a $250 + factory piece, what does 5 horsepower feel like when you are driving the car?"

And by the way, just in case anyone is wondering, I have never stated that my drilled air box cover will gain any horsepower, just a nice sound.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:09 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E.J.

Pete's assessment includes the factory installed motor sound mufflers, which are slightly modified to produce the "burbly" sound. If indeed the M159 option produces any more horsepower, I have not felt it.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

Originally posted by Pete911air:
<STRONG>Chris,
We do have a an engine dyno and test everything we sell.
Pete.</STRONG>
Thanks for the backup ! I guess I have 5 extra horsies, although never really felt them vs. someone elses 911.

It does make sense that the free-er flowing exhaust (bigger bypass tube ?) helps a little
Old 06-24-2001, 12:51 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Chris in Detroit:
<STRONG>I guess I have 5 extra horsies, although never really felt them vs. someone elses 911.</STRONG>
Chris, I think this is what I was trying to say. I don't know anyone who can feel 5 horsepower difference. Sure, maybe the whole motorsound package makes a difference and some other changes like a dme change along with the motorsound package can be felt, but I don't think anyone can really tell the 5 hp difference. I know I can't tell much of a difference when I drive a friends varioram car vs. my car. Maybe I am not as good as I think I am?
Old 06-24-2001, 01:16 PM
Dennis Mitsch
AutoX

<STRONG>Chris,
We do have a an engine dyno and test everything we sell.
Pete.</STRONG>
Well, let's see the chart!

Some stuff I always wonder every time I hear "we dyno'd it and it worked!":

What conditions? What car? Same car? Same day/time? No other modifications? How many runs? How many different cars were tested with identical modification? What's the range of error on a dyno, anyways? +/- 3 HP? Is that 5 rear wheel horsepower, or an estimated crank number? What kind of dyno was it, DynoJet or Mustang? Does it matter? Who owns the dyno, is it under your control or being beat on by dozens of different guys per week? Was the modified car tested first (before it was super hot) or after? Where did you see the 5 HP? 5 HP for a 10th of a second at redline isn't gonna be too useful. How about torque? Any difference there? Probably more I can't think of right now.

Maybe I'm going insane.

Dennis Mitsch (motorsound, BMC filter & RSR mufflers - sounds good, don't know about my 5 HP)
dem911@haphazard.com
993 FAQ/Knowledgebase - http://www.haphazard.com/993kb/ (with an unwritten dyno section, but obviously in dire need of one.)
Old 06-24-2001, 07:22 PM
Pete911air
Instructor

Dennis,
I don't think you know anything abaud Dynos. I was talking about an engine dyno.The 5 hp. is not a flash reading. the rpm is held for 10 seconds. As for temperature it does not matter. That is wy you have a correction factor. Ask steve Weiner. He is a little more eloquent then me. Also Vicken knows we have a Dyno. ( Not everybody on this board makes up storys. )

Pete.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:49 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just how big an increase in HP is needed to be felt and what sort of 0-60, or 50-70 does this equate to ?

Tito.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:33 PM
Dennis Mitsch
AutoX

<STRONG>Dennis,
I don't think you know anything abaud Dynos. I was talking about an engine dyno.The 5 hp. is not a flash reading. the rpm is held for 10 seconds. As for temperature it does not matter. That is wy you have a correction factor. Ask steve Weiner. He is a little more eloquent then me. Also Vicken knows we have a Dyno. ( Not everybody on this board makes up storys. )

Pete.</STRONG>
Oh, not only do I not know anything about dynos, I'm pretty much ignorant of just about everything. That's why I lurk instead of post! ha ha!

My bleet wasn't meant to imply any higgery jiggery on your part (besides, there isn't exactly any money to be made in selling sport airboxes. Unless they're made of carbon fiber, I guess), it was more a general "What does 'we saw it on the dyno' mean, anyways?"

Obviously an engine dyno is the most free of the hocus pocus that goes on in the aftermarket.

The chassis dyno numbers all seem to vary wildly and are quoted (by some) as gospel.

Or worse, "estimated crank horsepower" - ugh.

In any case, some of my questions do still apply:

Was it a stock motor with stock exhaust?
Was the increase seen across several motors?
What RPM range were the increases seen?

And you actually added and answered one I hadn't thought of:
Was it a flash reading or sustained? (which you answered, you saw the reading for 10 seconds.)

I'm trying to have the correct questions to ask when I hear the magic phrase, "we saw it on the dyno, give me your $200"

Dennis Mitsch - dem911@haphazard.com
993 FAQ/KB - http://www.haphazard.com/993kb/
Old 06-25-2001, 12:45 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I don't think the 5HP is what's at issue here really, although I'll take an extra 5 anytime. I really think the 5HP provides a positive spin on wanting better engine sound without losing power, which can and does happen quite often when you modify something as factory tweeked as a Porsche.

As for what increase in power can you feel? Well with a 280HP engine (oh, sorry, that's 282), probably you'd notice 10 additional ponies, I'm not sure though.
Old 06-25-2001, 02:18 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

LOL Jim....282
Old 06-27-2001, 12:24 PM
Doc Vorce

In a "Technical Note" in the 2000 June issue of EXCELLENCE, Bruce Anderson notes that "the 3.6-liter 911 engines (964 or 993)" have an "outer housing for the air cleaner [which is] restrictive." In experiments with "3.6 liter street cars," he discovered "that they could gain 6-8 horsepower" when the standard air box cover had holes drilled into it. Anderson's claims serve as sufficient confirmation of Pete911air's contention that the factory Motorsound package, with its modified air box lid, adds horsepower.

In a 993, the additional horsepower gained by adding the Motorsound package or simply the factory Performance Air Box Lid will only make itself apparent--if the horsepower makes itself obvious at all--at the limits of the engine's performance. Recall--and I am relying on figures provided in the 6th edition of Frere's PORSCHE 911 STORY--that while acceleration figures for non-varioram and narrow-bodied varioram 993s are virtually identical, the narrow-bodied varioram 993 has an increase in its maximum speed of 5.58 miles per hour. (By virtue of their increased weight and drag over the narrow-bodied 993s, wide-bodied 993s suffer a minor disadvantage in top speed performance.)
Old 06-28-2001, 05:26 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Food for thought, thanks Doc.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:12 PM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

I got the airbox lid today (thanks Marven at AJUSA). I have just come back from a 120mile blast and I can't get the grin off of my face. . It is verging on criminal that these box lids are not standard ( I know noise regulations etc.). The noise from 4000 to 6000 is fantastic - I rated it before but it is, to me anyway, awesome now. As regards power it is difficult to be objective with a huge grin on my face but it did feel very marginally stronger at about 6000, but little different elsewhere noticably. The box is virtually as for stock, with extra holes. I would urge anyone that has not done this to either drills the holes or get the MS lid, but do it. Tito
Old 02-06-2002, 08:54 AM
pookee
Instructor

Anyone mount the M159 option on a non Varioram 993?
How does it sound?
Old 02-06-2002, 12:41 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will this produce the "turbine" sound like on the racer Ferrari 333sp, or Porsche Sp cars. That's the sound I'm after. Obviously not as distinct, but I like the turbine sound as apposed to the "gurgling"

Quick Reply: motor sound option