Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Where to start with TRG sway bar adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Where to start with TRG sway bar adjustments?

Just finished a DE at Grattan in Michigan, and now it's time to dial out some of the understeer in my current setup (PSS9 and TRG adjustable sways; 25mm front, 22mm rear).

The car has a moderate amount of understeer with both bars set to middle. My thinking would be to loosen the front settings instead of tightening the rear. I'm hoping for some insights so I don't have to learn this iteratively on the track.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:51 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

Eric,
My front bar is set to the second hole from the end. As I understand it, this would be looser than with it set to the middle. When I put my suspension together I asked Viperbob about the TRG settings and he recomended the middle for the rear and second from the end for the fronts. When I got the car corner balanced and aligned the tech thought those setting were spot on for a nuetral handling set up. I have about 4 DE's with this set up to far and really like the way the car handles.

Jamie

Last edited by jford; 04-26-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Eric,

Mark Donohue I'm not, but when I used your setting (don't know what your PSS-9's are set to) with my RS bars, I didn't loosen my front bar to dial out the understeer. Doing so seemed like it would decrease the front roll stiffness too much.

If you want to work with the sways only, why not stiffen the rear bar by one notch and stiffen the front by one notch, as well? If you just stiffen the rear alone, you may make the car too twitchy; setting the front bar one notch stiffer, along with the added rear stiffness will keep some understeer and mitigate the rear, oversteery setting. FYI, you'll make greater handling changes by adjusting the rear bar, while the front bar can be used for fine-tuning the handling.

Or how about leaving the bars where they are and stiffening up the rear shocks for a smaller handling change?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Mark,
I was running with the shocks at 3 front, 2 rear, which felt good on the track. The reasons I thought loosening the front was a better idea are:
1) TRG sways are already big: 25/22 versus RS bars which are 23/20
2) Sway bars are always the enemy of independent suspension, so you never want to go too crazy in size.
3) The car already seems to handle VERY flat with the TRG bars. It feels somewhat go-kartish on MPSCs, so I'm reluctant to go much stiffer on the sways.

BTW- did you get your TRG bars?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Eric,

Yep, I bought a set of TRG's and decided that they were so lonely, I had to make them comfy with Moton club sports and front and rear monoballs.

I know what you mean about the sways. Go too stiff and you end up tying in the left and rear so tightly that it compromises compliance. I was at the max rear stiffness on the rear of my RS bars, and nearly max (have to check my notes to be sure) on the fronts. But the way I see it, why not personally see how you like the car at an extreme setting? It may be a rough-riding, twitchy monster or maybe it works well for you and that particular track and those specific tires. Super stiff might be super crappy at a course like Sebring, but maybe it would be perfect at Putnam.

I like fiddling around with the settings to a certain degree, although, in the past, I haven't made too many changes within run sessions because I only recently got a hot lap timer that would allow me to gauge changes and how they affect lap times.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric,

As Jamie mentioned, try going one notch softer in the front. I think you will notice a difference....
Old 04-27-2004, 05:19 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i have mine set to max stiff in the rear with one away from loosest in the front. NO understeer with this setup, just a bit of oversteer.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 04-27-2004, 11:08 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try one notch softer in front at Blackhawk next week and see what happens.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Make adjustments in small amounts. See how it works. If you are finding that it is still too much understeer, then try going a little stiffer in the rear. I am also assuming that in between these sway bar adjustments that you have already worked on your tire pressures to help the car get to your comfort level for handling...

Good luck with the event Eric.....

Quick Reply: Where to start with TRG sway bar adjustments?