993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 10:50 PM
thomas w french
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Steering Issue

I am hearing a very noticable "clicking" or "popping" as I turn the steering wheel on my 95 993 at low speeds.

It almost sounds like a bearing is failing somewhere. Has anyone experienced this? It appears as though the sound is originating from within the car.

A cursory inspection of the steering column revealed nothing out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
-Tom
Old 06-22-2001, 09:32 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a car with something similar to this happening. It turned out that the fluid level was low. Your fix might not be that simple, but worth a look. Also, try flushing the fluid. It gets hot and absorbs moisture like any other, but few replace it. All you do is remove the airfilter cover, and unplug the hose at the base of the p.s. reservoir, and drain. Re-fill with either dexron ATF, or pentosin CHF. That flushes about 80% of the fluid. I did mine last week, and had a noticeable improvement in steering feel; not to mention the old fluid looked like really dirty motor oil.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:43 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's funny, as **** as I am about noises in the car, I'd never even noticed a similar noise in mine until a dealer pointed it out. I still don't notice it - I didn't bother paying him to fix it.

As best I remember, if you remove the airbag, there's some metal thingy (clip? spring?) that's making the noise. The cost of repair was going to be north of $100, so I blew it off. It wasn't like my engine was going to seize!
Old 06-23-2001, 12:51 PM
thomas w french
8th Gear

Thanks for the good suggestions. I am going to tackle the issue today. Changing the steering fluid makes sense in any case, and maybe it will help with my problem.

The noise is loud enough that I suspect that it is probably something more than the clip described relative to the airbag. Also, I think that the noise is coming from farther down the column...maybe near the universal coupling.

I supppose the next step (after changing the fluid) is to put the car up in the air, start it up and, while moving the wheel, try determine exactly from where the noise is originating.

Thanks all! I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: 993 Steering Issue