993 Forum 1995-1998

Strut Braces...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 12:36 PM
CC993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strut Braces...

I noticed that Preformance Products has a 20% off sale (website only?) going til the 20th and was considering a strut brace...I know this has been discussed before but does anybody out there feel that these braces have made a noticable improvement in handling...I seem to remember a couple of comments suggesting that it was worth it on the older 911's but not on the newer??...thanks
Old 06-16-2001, 02:01 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Lonn,

I've added one to a previous 1991 Q45, and my 1997 993TT. In both cars, I felt that it was helpful in reducing flex and improving the solidity of the front end. I've heard folks comment that it may improve the infamous windshield squeak, but I can't comment on this since I don't yet have the squeak at only 10,000 miles.

I believe you are correctly remembering comments by Viken and others that the benefits are less noticeable, ornonexistent, on the 996s because the the front assemblies tie in much closer to the firewall (ie aft of their position in the 993s).
Old 06-16-2001, 02:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Lonn:
<STRONG>I noticed that Preformance Products has a 20% off sale (website only?) going til the 20th and was considering a strut brace...I know this has been discussed before but does anybody out there feel that these braces have made a noticable improvement in handling...I seem to remember a couple of comments suggesting that it was worth it on the older 911's but not on the newer??...thanks</STRONG>
The strut tower brace reduces body flex ahead of the windshield by keeping the shock towers from moving towards or apart from each other during hard cornering. A brace is effective on every 911 except for the 996 which has its towers joined by the firewall.
Old 06-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Tim 95 993 Pasadena
Track Day

Thumbs up

Added the strut tower brace to my '95 C2 about 4 months ago and it improved the handling and body stiffness a great deal.
Best $180.00 I've spent on the car so far.
Would definitely recommend it. The car feels much more solid...IMHO....

Tim
Old 06-17-2001, 01:34 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool

Added the strut tower connector from Andial. This is a beautiful of work, and appears to resemble the "factory bar". IMHO, if the factory adds them to 993 cars, that is good enough for me: I had to have one.

I got my best time ever after I added the bar...but I can't really say if it was the bar. As to windshield creak, I thought it had dimished somewhat after the bar installation. I was halucinating that day. The creak is still there. The car runs so bloody well good, that I can readily live with the squeek. Besides you can only hear it around town, going slow...two things I try to avoid at all costs.

Before yo send amy money to Performance Products, call Pete Wetzel at Andial in Santa Ana, CA. Their bar was on special at $225 when I bought mine last December. Maybe it is always on sale. Tell him you heard about the bar onn Rennlist. Pete reads Rennlist.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:25 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I added a Brey Krause strut brace, kept it under the carpet so it's like it isn't even there. Of course, it sharpens the handling a bit, but the biggest surprise was the squeaks that went away, both windshield and dash, after the install.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:30 PM
Mark Trewartha
5th Gear

I just received an email from www.ajusa.com and they have their strut bar on sale for $165 which is a great price.Check it out.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:09 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi, everyone... I notice a lot of positive feedback on adding a srut brace. I am interested. I have a 96 C4 Cab. and want to know if there are any negatives to doing this. Will it negatively affect everyday driving comfort or give a harsher ride?
Old 06-22-2001, 12:20 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by c4-toy:
<STRONG>Will it negatively affect everyday driving comfort or give a harsher ride?</STRONG>
No, there are no negatives.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:57 PM
thomas w french
8th Gear

Per Mark's suggestion, I called AJ USA and picked up a great bar for $165! It is the back anodized bar that a lot of shops sell for $225.

When I put a similiar one on my 87 911 Cab it made a HUGE difference. (The cabs are much more flexible, of course.)

Thanks Mark!

Quick Reply: Strut Braces...