OT: ISO good GPS navigator

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 10:48 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 244 Posts
Default OT: ISO good GPS navigator

Been searching for a while and can’t find this unique package:

off line maps with GPS location finding for when I’m in the boonies.
ability to load .gpx route files or other format of the weird route I want to follow.
turn-by-turn voice navigator
no nagging or speed judgements

all the smartphone apps seems to miss one or more and collect purchase, search engine and location data even when you’re not using the app.

im thinking maybe a dedicated GPS box like Garmin or Tomtom.

does anyone have something they use regularly?
Old 04-26-2022, 02:14 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 518 Posts

The only program I have used for offline maps with any success, specifically in the boonies, has been GAIA GPS. I run it on all my backcountry routes and camping sites on my remote Colorado trips. It can integrate local MVUMs, boundaries, etc....

I have never seen any reason to have another stand alone device like Garmin or TomTom unless you're using their SPOT or InReach satellite messaging functions but I feel that is a bit out of scope for this conversation.

-Scott
The following 2 users liked this post by 71-3.0-911:
bobbyp (04-26-2022), M. Schneider (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:38 PM
IainM
Drifting

I’ve used google maps and Apple Maps on my phone and can usually get the route I want to take by dragging sections around but longer routes on the small screen tend to explode after 3 or 4 adjustments. Then when you lose cell, you lose directions.

ideally, I’d plan the route on my laptop, transfer to my phone and use a gps navigator to direct turns.

I tried Osmand but it was too judgemental, commenting on my progress and providing too much information.

just looking for simple guidance so I don’t have to keep getting the map and magnifying glass out or turning around to find a missed turn. I know, lazy

ill take a look at the gaia devices. Cheers!

BTW, see you in Colorado later this year!
The following users liked this post:
71-3.0-911 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:11 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 418 Likes on 238 Posts

Is this the type of thing you're looking for? Ride with GPS
The local PCA uses it for Cars and Coffee routes.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:11 PM
IainM
Drifting

Thanks Jay, looked real promising but as a bike app, it doesn’t accept freeways.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:27 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Can't you just use google maps? Download offline maps when you are home for when you know you will be out of network range, if I'm plotting a route that goes past areas with large populations on my android it generally asks me if I want to download the offline map.
I've never done this but a quick search shows you can upload gpx/kml files - looks like kind of a pain but do-able. I assume it'll do normal turn by turn for you.
It's probably on your phone already so if you are concerned about being tracked, it is happening already.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:06 AM
Sigs993
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven’t found an app either that has replaced what a Garmin can do to my satisfaction. Pretty sure with their Drive app you can send gpx files to it from your phone too. I buy an updated model every few years.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:19 PM
IainM
Drifting

Hi Bobby, I can’t find anything that confirms google maps continues to give directions when cell coverage fails. I tried it a long time back and didn’t enjoy the experience. Maybe I should try it again but was hoping for some confirmations before spending the time installing and experimenting.
mum leaning towards old school gps at this point
Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 PM
IainM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sigs993
I haven’t found an app either that has replaced what a Garmin can do to my satisfaction. Pretty sure with their Drive app you can send gpx files to it from your phone too. I buy an updated model every few years.
thanks Sigs, I’m going to read the manuals
Old 04-29-2022, 12:12 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
Hi Bobby, I can’t find anything that confirms google maps continues to give directions when cell coverage fails. I tried it a long time back and didn’t enjoy the experience. Maybe I should try it again but was hoping for some confirmations before spending the time installing and experimenting.
mum leaning towards old school gps at this point
Yeah, the problem is that you need to find somewhere with no cell coverage - not sure if it works if you just turn off mobile data. I'm pretty sure I used it within the past year on a small island in the Bahamas and probably in the "mountains" on St. Croix.

Quick Reply: OT: ISO good GPS navigator