Sponsored by:

Center console delete project finished

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:12 PM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Center console delete project finished

Hi folks! Just want to share the project I have been working on for quite some time.

I really like the spartan look of older Porsche interiors and wanted to replicate some of it in my 993. This has no practical purpose and is only done "for the looks". Also, I wasn't going after weight savings. Just a mix of nostalgia with creature comforts for daily driving. There is no standard aftermarket solution available, so I decided to design and fabricate my own. Below is the result of my trial and error and learning and redoing. There are a few more things I want to change, but it mostly looks the way I envisioned.

Few comments regarding the approach:
  1. I mated the back half of the original center console with the front half I designed and fabricated. I printed the front part using PETG in 3 pieces to fit into my 3d printer's build volume. The front and back are connected using bolts. Some bondo was applied to hide the print lines and the whole contraption was reupholstered. You can still see some unevenness in the areas where the parts are connected.
  2. The "shifter gate" is laser cut out of aluminum and painted with self-etching primer. It looks reasonably well but doesn't hold to occasional bumps from gear changes. I will need to find a better solution. Powder coating? Anodizing?
  3. OBD port is relocated to the driver's side of the front far corner of the new console and is easily accessible for maintenance.
  4. The two left switches on the dash are wired to control the radio: volume and track selection. I never need to touch the stereo itself because I play my music from the phone via Bluetooth. Now thinking of it I should have saved the glovebox space and moved the stereo somewhere even farther away.
  5. Happy to share the 3d model and give some guidance on how to replicate this if someone is interested. But be warned, it's very far from being a simple bolt-on. Also, it's not reversible and requires a fair amount of cutting of the original parts both metal and plastic.

The following 2 users liked this post by 90decibel:
KingTubby (04-24-2022), rs911porsche (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 12:17 AM
KingTubby
Banned

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Very unique! My suggestion is to use black screws.

enjoy in good health!
paul
Old 04-24-2022, 12:52 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Clever mods and I like the vibe you are going for.
Not sure what would be best for repeat contact with the lever sliding back and forth. Powdercoat v anodized but the finish on anodized usually looks finer. Depends if you trying to match the finish on the parking brake recess, footplate or dash console...
i think the bump would bug me...
Nice one.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:55 AM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Clever mods and I like the vibe you are going for.
Not sure what would be best for repeat contact with the lever sliding back and forth. Powdercoat v anodized but the finish on anodized usually looks finer. Depends if you trying to match the finish on the parking brake recess, footplate or dash console...
i think the bump would bug me...
Nice one.
I made 10 of these plates. Can experiment with different finishes 🙂 Also NOT having contact would be even better. May need to cut out bigger holes.

Originally Posted by KingTubby
Very unique! My suggestion is to use black screws.

enjoy in good health!
paul
They are in fact black, just kind of shiny. Need to find some matte black screws.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:19 AM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 270 Posts

Congrats for accomplishing what you were after. It takes a bit of getting used to,and having the radio in the glove box is interesting. Your Porsche, your car. Full respect.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:40 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I really appreciate the thinking behind this and your effort to make your car "yours". While there is something to be said to keeping it all original, lets face it, a lot of 993 interior elements are very obvious, clunky attempts to polish up the older platform it was designed around. I would love to see a console like this in brushed stainless, with a compliment of more hard surfaces and less leather.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:34 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 240 Posts

Looks like you spent a lot of time and at least a few dollars to come up with an answer to a problem that didn’t exist. You really molested the interior of the car and made it less functional and fugely besides. Too bad someone didn’t talk you out of butchering up the interior.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:48 PM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by os993
Congrats for accomplishing what you were after. It takes a bit of getting used to,and having the radio in the glove box is interesting. Your Porsche, your car. Full respect.
Thanks! This car is new to me and I’m getting used to everything right now 🙂

Originally Posted by Franklin229
I really appreciate the thinking behind this and your effort to make your car "yours". While there is something to be said to keeping it all original, lets face it, a lot of 993 interior elements are very obvious, clunky attempts to polish up the older platform it was designed around. I would love to see a console like this in brushed stainless, with a compliment of more hard surfaces and less leather.
Thank you! This is a great idea! Perhaps together with a metal lower dash block off. It would push the interior farther into “track car” territory than I would like at the moment.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:51 PM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Looks like you spent a lot of time and at least a few dollars to come up with an answer to a problem that didn’t exist. You really molested the interior of the car and made it less functional and fugely besides. Too bad someone didn’t talk you out of butchering up the interior.
Wait for what I’m going to do with the exterior. I’ll PM you once it’s ready for a preview 😂
The following 3 users liked this post by 90decibel:
Churchill (04-24-2022), Meenrod (04-24-2022), NB 993 (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 03:53 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 90decibel
Wait for what I’m going to do with the exterior. I’ll PM you once it’s ready for a preview 😂
Bravo for your Hutspa ! I commend your willingness to go against the grain not sure I get the clean minimal look but yeah for some I'm sure it is appealing .
Full steam ahead its your car and project after all who says we know anything haha , B
Old 04-24-2022, 04:05 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks very professionally done
Old 04-24-2022, 04:39 PM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budge96
Bravo for your Hutspa ! I commend your willingness to go against the grain not sure I get the clean minimal look but yeah for some I'm sure it is appealing .
Full steam ahead its your car and project after all who says we know anything haha , B
I’m just trolling the purists 🙂 Not going to change much. Will remove the bumperettes, add brake ducts and a ducktail. Nothing crazy.

I’m not sacrificing virgins here. I bought the cheapest air cooled Porsche in the country. It was in a rough shape. Just trying to restore the car to its former glory mechanically, make it look slightly different and have fun in the process ✌️
The following 2 users liked this post by 90decibel:
Meenrod (04-24-2022), Todynot (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 04:43 PM
90decibel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crw
Looks very professionally done
Thank you! 🙏 This is pretty much my first fabrication project. I don’t know what I’m doing, learning as I go.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:08 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
What an unnecessary comment. Doesn't add anything to the discussion and is off-putting to many readers. Imagine a new user reading this, they wouldn't come back. I tell my children if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. It's a shame the moderation in here has fallen away so drastically.
The following users liked this post:
90decibel (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 09:05 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 543 Posts

Cool!
The following users liked this post:
90decibel (04-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Center console delete project finished