Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:07 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Akolodesh, you paint 'em any color you like. It shows you care about your car.

When I got my 993 Turbo, the calipers looked like they had never been so much as wiped off. Needless to say, they are now almost as new looking as yours... hehehe...
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the positive feedback all (with the exception of agro1). The stencils can be ordered from http://www.europdr.com/caliperstencil.htm. They are very good to work with and provide quick service.

Btw (and I will probably regret continuing this) but what exactly is your deal agro? I had a similar issue with Mlincoln (which has since been cleared up as we have made nice). I have read come of your posts and they tend to lean toward mean-spirited and abusive commentary. For example, why even add the comment about "small reds"? What was the purpose of it? It certainly wasn't constructive. I actually read in one of the threads in which mlincoln and a few rennlisters were bantering back and forth. You chimed in toward the end of the tread that you were upset you missed all the fun. Sounds a bit sick to me.
Agro lets get something strait. If your idea of fun is chiding and criticizing people from the saftey of your computer, not only is your avatar weak, but so are you. I enjoy the comraderie and knowledge I gain from this forum. Most of the people on here are curteous, good natured and know a hell of lot more about cars than I do. I therefore enjoy accessing the site on a regular basis.
That being said, I'm not nearly as civil as the majority of people on this site. I don't appreciate your insults. They are the mark of a cowardly bully. I always believe in calling out cowardly bullies such as yourself. The next time you make a comment towards me it should either take the form of an apology or provide a place to meet so that we can settle this like gentleman.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I enjoy the comraderie and knowledge I gain from this forum. Most of the people on here are curteous, good natured and know a hell of lot more about cars than I do. I therefore enjoy accessing the site on a regular basis."

Yup, what he said!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex -

If the same thing happens to you as it did to me, you will receive a very nasty PM.

My best advice, ignore the people who aren't civil.

Doug
Old 04-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty sure this is a site for enthusiasts. That is a pretty positive word. Unfortunately we could not all be at either Hershey or Daytona last week getting to know each other better and experiencing some group Porsche Karma. These cars have an incredible amount of aesthetic features and aspects. Not all of us lose sleep about lap times and absolute performance. If all of our cars were the same this would be a very boring place!! PAINT YOUR FRIGGIN CALIPERS ANY COLOR YOU WANT!! Your car will stop much faster than most of the junk on the road and if you do not belive me than why do you study your rear view mirror when traffic suddenly comes to a halt=because you KNOW you are not going to rear end anybody!!
Good Night
Old 04-27-2004, 12:15 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

thanks all for the positive comments. I think most everybody on this site has a lot to offer. We all help make the p-car experience better for each individual with our "collective" wisdom. I will truly try to ignore the few silly, rude, or plainly ignorant comments the small minority attempt to make on this site. To everyone else, lets have a great summer driving these amazing machines.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Tour18
Banned

Hey Akolodesh. The calipers on my Boxster S are red. And they are smaller than the red calipers on my 993 Turbo...

And both sets came from the Porsche Factory that way... Does that make me a poseur?? hehehe...
Old 04-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Agro1
Banned

Originally posted by akolodesh
Btw (and I will probably regret continuing this) but what exactly is your deal agro? .... For example, why even add the comment about "small reds"?
I could ask you the same. Why would you post a picture, of standard brakes painted red and make the comment, "DID SOMEONE SAY BIG RED". You brakes look good dude, I already said I liked them. If you don't want to be called out for the aesthetic upgrade, don't liken it to Big Reds, cause they AIN'T - tell us how you did it, give us the details and how great you think they look and leave it at that. Then, I probably would have just kept my mouth shut and said nothing. But you had to throw the moronic big red comment in there, so, here we are...

What was the purpose of it? It certainly wasn't constructive.
Damn you're quick. No, it wasn't constructive at all. Did you ever consider that if everyone always agreed with one another, the world would be a very boreing place. I try not hurl insults unless provoked. My first post was not and insult, there was even a after my comment so get over yourself. Then you called my avatar weak, who is insulting who Alex ?

Agro lets get something strait. If your idea of fun is chiding and criticizing people from the saftey of your computer, not only is your avatar weak, but so are you.
You and I come here for different reasons, obviously. Not only do I enjoy the great tech threads and awesome photos, but I also like the witty banter back and forth and mixing it up a bit with the understanding that it's all in good fun. That being said, take you skirt off...

That being said, I'm not nearly as civil as the majority of people on this site. I don't appreciate your insults. They are the mark of a cowardly bully. I always believe in calling out cowardly bullies such as yourself. The next time you make a comment towards me it should either take the form of an apology or provide a place to meet so that we can settle this like gentleman.
Alex, send me a PM message with your address or wherever you'd like to "meet". You name the time and place, and I'll go buy some bells
Old 04-27-2004, 02:00 AM
JSQ
6th Gear

Ok, I'm a long time lurker and this thread is enough to make me step out of the darkness. I'm neither a troll nor a teenage newbie. I own a Porsche and I spend my fair share of time, reading about, discussing, working on, and above all driving my German car.

I have always found Rennlist a little, shall we say, "dainty" in comparison with the vast majority of online forums, auto-related or otherwise, but felt assured that despite the penultimate concern for civility and appearances the participants were committed to a frank and enlightened discussion of all things Porsche. However, it is now obvious that the seemingly insatiable need to be one another's cyber companions far surpasses the participants’ inclinations towards improving their vehicles or expanding their knowledge.

This thread revolves around painting your factory stock black brake calipers red a la big reds. A previous thread involved the discussion of purchasing a $1000 option to have the regular calipers painted by the factory. I cannot possibly be the only other person who finds this endeavor totally unpalatable! Let us remove all doubt that the misguided rennlisters who would participate in or subscribe to the logic behind such actions are motivated simply by the urge to pretend. I find it laughable that anyone would suggest otherwise. Can it possibly be these posters contention that they have painted or paid for red calipers for aesthetic reasons which are wholly separate from the attempt to create the appearance of a costly and effective performance upgrade when, in fact, no upgrade has been made? Why then do they choose to paint the calipers red? Why not green, or blue or purple? The answer is obvious. Because those colors bear no resemblance to the upgrade that is being imitated. To pass such a feeble and niggardly alteration off as any sort of modification, upgrade or improvement is reminiscent of the practices all too common among the Japanese import crowd who regularly paint calipers, add badges and otherwise "trick out" their cars. Is this a Porsche or a Honda for goodness sake? Whatismore, to think that creating such a posture is acceptable because the factory makes it available to you at an exorbitant cost demonstrates a total inability to think for oneself. Just because Porsche builds or sells it, does not mean it is a good idea or excuse it from criticism. For those who would argue otherwise I hope you enjoy your Cayenne.

The concern which threads such as this raise for me is that those who post on Rennlist put niceties and positivity all too far ahead of their own productive opinions and in doing so sacrifice the utility of the site. I implore others to speak their minds freely both for and against the topics discussed and to concern themselves less with the emotional effects and more with the technical results.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:13 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yhea, were all a bunch of tough guys driving our porsches. Give me a break!!! It's now resulted in calling each other out over some comments about painted calipers. This is a joke fellas, if your going to fight do it over something worth fighting for. We need to get over ourselves. We ALL have the right to voice our opinions, thats what this forum is all about. Agree or disagree, and I don't agree with Agro1, but he has the right to speak his mind. Lighten up. We drive Porsches for God sake, how bad can life really be.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:53 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

You use your tongue prettier 'n a $20 ... hmm. I know I had a point in there somewhere.

I gotta disagree with Mr. JSQ. It is just plain aesthetics in that one might decide to paint their calipers insert-your-favorite-exterior-color-match here. And it looks good. That's it. Some paint them silver to match maybe a black or silver car and it looks sharp. Green... or purple - now that would be silly on, let's say...a red car now wouldn't it? If you had a purple car... purple calipers would probably be nice. But the painted calipers I think give it a nice touch of extra polish and it just plain looks nice. Besides, it looks better than old faded black doesn't it? I don't believe the point is to "pretend" to be something you aren't. It all comes down to intent. Sure, a few do intend to pretend, (or perhaps unintentionally come off that way) but c'mon, aren't we all a little more secure in our automotive "manlihood" so as not to be afraid to make stylistic mods to our cars in fear of relating ourselves to the sporty car class bling bling ricers? (I am now imagining 20" spinner wheels on my 993 with neon glow windshield washer nozzles and a grapefruit shooter exhaust r-r-r-r-apping out the back.) Seriously - all kidding aside - how dope would that beeyotch be as I cruize through the neighborhizzle.

I also can appreciate a person who loves the "sleeper" style. Look stock, put a monster under the hood, and kick every showoff's butt out there who doesn't know what he is getting in to. I just don't think you have the monopoly on the only right way to "upgrade" your car.

But hey - look on the bright side. At least we are right on schedule to give the folks on the 964 board something to laugh at us about again. Look at us, can't stop bickering and fighting and calling each other names for 2 minutes. 964 folks, just remember: he started it.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:55 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Just because Porsche builds or sells it, does not mean it is a good idea or excuse it from criticism
I agree, that's why I bought a 993 instead of a 996 or Boxster.

You seem to think that there should be more controversy about an individual's decisions.

I'm all for giving someone a 'thumbs-up' or 'thumbs down'; and a reason for said rating is good too. A drawn out multi-post arguement gets unbearable to me (and i am sure most others) really fast.

I can understand some of the "tension" felt in Agro's post comes from his new car still being apart. I am sure he can hardly wait to drive it!!! I can't wait either

JSQ, since I barely know you, I can only make a wild-a$$ guess at the source of your angst......possibly the constant "tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock" of your warranty ticking away while you nervously check under your water pumper for a RMS leak??....

There...did that get you going ??

I have given the "ignore' feature a work out lately...
is there a way to block out a whole thread from my usually non-confrontational existence??

Carry on, maybe I'll see some of you on a useful thread.

max
Old 04-27-2004, 04:48 AM
SLVR
Pro

More power to you Alex, looks great!!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:26 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Alex, the paint looks great! I can easily be fooled if you told me that they are really big reds. That is why i am against painting my calipers red even though they look fantastic! I strongly believe it is degrading to the car and not to mention its something i regularly see done on foreign cars like Honda's.

Argo, your comments were very childish and inappropriate. You act like a 15 year old. Eventhough you had the at the end, some people dont like it.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 AM
JSQ
6th Gear

BS911,

You insist that the painted calipers are replicated only for pleasing appearance without any influence from the well respected big red brake kits which have earned their esteem through performance. You would have us believe that those who find appeal in the painted calipers derive their enjoyment from the color alone and its coordination with the rest of the palette of their vehicle, but I find this doubtful at best. The appeal of the color lies in its direct association with the improved brake kit and the superior results it achieves. When I see the red brakes on a 993TT it excites me because I know that the color serves as an indicator that the brakes are able to achieve higher levels of performance than lesser equipment is capable of. The appeal of the color is inexorably linked to the gains in stopping power. To me the color is pointless without the accompanying technical upgrade. You suggest that purple calipers would be “nice” on a purple car. Again, I must disagree. I think that such a combination would be unsettling and gaudy. You then ask, “it looks better than old faded black doesn't it?” Once more I find my thinking to the contrary. I see nothing wrong with the appearance of the original calipers. A stock Porsche is a beautiful thing. It is a well designed vehicle which is both pleasing for its abilities and art form. To my eye the calipers need no such augmentation to be alluring. You further suggest in a convoluted manner that painting the calipers isn’t comparable to the extreme cosmetic modifications you attribute to “ricers” but you fail to account for the context of the alteration. When dealing with a vehicle as carefully composed as a Porsche even the smallest stylistic change can ruin the effect in its entirety. Finally, you espouse your appreciation for the “sleeper”, which shows no cosmetic change but features significant mechanical modification, as indicative of the variety of valid forms you recognize for a vehicle. However, in doing so you manage to limit yourself by excluding the unchanged vehicle. To my eye a given Porsche is more appealing left unchanged rather than be subjected to an alteration which is neither cosmetically consistent nor mechanically advantageous.

Max911,

You interpret that I, “seem to think that there should be more controversy about an individual's decisions” and purport that, “I'm all for giving someone a 'thumbs-up' or 'thumbs down'; and a reason for said rating is good too.” In addition you complain, “A drawn out multi-post argument gets unbearable to me (and i am sure most others) really fast.” Unfortunately the result of your post is that you patently fail to meet the standards you espouse. You contribute no opinion to the debate at hand regarding painted brake calipers and succeed only in adding to the length of the thread which you lament as being overextended. Your post has no technical content or opinion and focuses entirely on your attempt at extrapolating personal motivations. In closing you imply both that you are disinterested in the thread and wish to ignore it and at the same time suggest that the discussion is not useful. I cannot be but perplexed at your stated desire to ignore the topic and your resultant post. As for the utility of the thread I feel that it lends itself as a primer for those considering painting their brake calipers and as a forum for the larger discussion of the exchange which occurs on Rennlist. It is my contention that an unabashed exchange of opinions will result in a richer discussion that will prove more useful not only now but in the future. Should someone search this topic at a later date they will find a variety of ideas to choose from rather than a monochromatic repetition which may prove uninformative or, worse, misleading. If the salient points are not hammered out through intelligent discussion how can the researcher hold them as any sort of truths? I must then opine that value of this discussion lies in two areas. Firstly, to debate the merit of painting calipers, and secondly, to expand the gallery of opinions which may be voiced without needless limitations on this bulletin board.

Quick Reply: PAINTED red calipers and proud of it!!